Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2020, 12:15 PM

1,154 posts, read 367,114 times

Advertisements

Thought of another one: Dungeness crab. To die for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 01:20 PM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Moved to Florida from Wisconsin almost a year ago. Florida does not have Diet Squirt. Anywhere. Trust me, we've looked and asked.
Fresh cheese curds (obviously), shredded or shaved Asiago cheese in the round plastic tubs, nor decent meat sticks. I also miss the grind your coffee right in the store options in every grocery store "back home". I also miss Bellatori's gluten free frozen pizzas. There also was a fresh gluten free pasta maker in Madison, the local grocery stores carried it.
Thank goodness at least I can get Johnsonville brats at Publix!!
What are meat sticks?

Old 08-30-2020, 01:21 PM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Blockschokolade - cheap dark chocolate in pound bars. Either to bake with or break teeth with.

Old 08-30-2020, 02:00 PM

126,285 posts, read 19,062,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Blockschokolade - cheap dark chocolate in pound bars. Either to bake with or break teeth with.
Oh I too remember Blockschokolade

Old 08-30-2020, 02:54 PM

19,044 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Ripe fruits.
No one here in the US sells really ripe fruits. Or berries.

And flowers here do not smell.

All synthetic and tastes like it.

Also, true rye bread. They don't have it here, even what they supply from Europe. It's like as if recipe was lost.

Old 08-30-2020, 05:16 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Ripe fruits.

Also, true rye bread. They don't have it here, even what they supply from Europe. It's like as if recipe was lost.
Oh, man! I was just thinking about that the other day. In order to feed the nation the quality of food was grossly compromised.
Generations are raised that don't know how real food taste. And when someone has a chance to try it, they think it looks and taste...funny, or even gross.
That's so incredibly sad...

Old 08-30-2020, 09:00 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Ripe fruits.

You can buy them if you you live near farms and orchards. They're sold at road side stands and farmers markets.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You can buy them if you you live near farms and orchards. They're sold at road side stands and farmers markets.
I am sure many of us miss something that we think was better where we used to live whether a different city or a different country. You are right, the foods the poser misses are available but not easy to find. I love farmers markets and produce from farmers. We have several small farms around us: One particular one has product that is so fresh 2 weeks later, it is as fresh as any we have ever tasted.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:06 AM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Ripe fruits.

You can get them, just not cheaply at supermarkets. Mass-produced fruit is bred for hardiness in shipping and/or to look good, but the taste is lost. I will never ever buy certain things, like peaches, from a supermarket. They are tasteless baseballs. This means, of course, that I will only have good peaches in our short season here in NJ, but I'd rather enjoy them in season and go without the rest of the year than buy the hard tasteless ones. I don't see the point.

Buy stuff from the farm stands or the farmer's markets in the cities where it's brought in that day from the country. Yes, you'll pay more.

Yes, mass-produced flowers are also scentless. Again, bred for appearance.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:14 AM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oh, man! I was just thinking about that the other day. In order to feed the nation the quality of food was grossly compromised.
Generations are raised that don't know how real food taste. And when someone has a chance to try it, they think it looks and taste...funny, or even gross.
That's so incredibly sad...
I remember an amusing story on one of these threads about a New Yorker who moved to the midwest and discovered that the only bagels people out there knew were mass-produced bread with a hole in the middle, like Lender's. The guy was back in New York and picked up a bunch of real bagels and brought them back for the people in his office as a treat.

They didn't appreciate them at all. Too big, too chewy, too this, too that. Disliked all the things that make a bagel a bagel. They preferred bread with a hole in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink