Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2020, 11:06 AM

1,154 posts, read 366,211 times

Advertisements

A Young’s calf shake, which is really just a small fribble, but the name made it more fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 08:31 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12;58842433
[I
... out of Long Island, NY ... there are certain foods that are scarce, unavailable, or just not as good here.

- Buttered Kiaser rolls with coffee...These are crusty, poppy seed covered rolls that are not terribly dense. I really miss them. You can also buy a bag of them from a bakery or some supermarkets.

- Decent bagels..
- Black and White Cookies -
- Linzer tarts - a big rasberry jam filled scalloped cookie dusted with confectioners sugar.

Well that's what I miss.
How about you?[/i]
All as quoted from above (NY/LI once upon a time too).

However, we've found a lot of great substitutes/additions in Charleston : biscuits; pimento cheese; hummingbird cake; to name a few.

Old 08-14-2020, 01:35 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,745 times
I'm from NYC but have lived in Houston for 20 years

Pastrami sandwich (sorry Ziggy's and Katz's Houston, yours ain't cutting it)
Knishes, hot dogs and roasted chestnuts
Caribbean, Dominican, Puerto Rican food
Real bagels, black and white cookies and pickles
Chinese food

I left NYC in '88, returned for a week's visit January 15, 2020 and tried to eat everything I could. However, I got sick on the 5th day and spent the last 2 days in the hotel bed. I always wondered if I ended up getting covid in NYC. Because I know my way around, I practically LIVED on the train and bus, and I went to Chinatown numerous times to eat and hang out.

Old 08-15-2020, 02:41 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,727,776 times
A couple more things I miss - getting bread with an actual, stout crust. This flimsy stuff I get even at “premium” stores like Fresh just doesn’t cut it. I also miss actual, real sourdough. The cheese selection is often dodgy unless you go to one of those premium stores, where it is then rather pricy. I also miss the abundance of good wood-fired pizza joints. Chicago style pizza is my fav, but wood-fired is a really close second.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:30 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Lake perch fish fries from Ohio and WI, and before that, the Swedish bakery in MA.
And how could I have left out the fried clams and fresh seafood in New England? I live on the ocean now, but all the have here in abundance is shrimp.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:51 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Cheese curds

Old 08-21-2020, 04:59 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
And how could I have left out the fried clams and fresh seafood in New England? I live on the ocean now, but all they have here in abundance is shrimp.
Fried clams - Clam Box, Ipswich (sorry, Woodman's)
Fish sandwich - Harborside, Gloucester
Pies - Helens, Machias

Old 08-27-2020, 05:04 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
Moved to Florida from Wisconsin almost a year ago. Florida does not have Diet Squirt. Anywhere. Trust me, we've looked and asked.
Fresh cheese curds (obviously), shredded or shaved Asiago cheese in the round plastic tubs, nor decent meat sticks. I also miss the grind your coffee right in the store options in every grocery store "back home". I also miss Bellatori's gluten free frozen pizzas. There also was a fresh gluten free pasta maker in Madison, the local grocery stores carried it.
Thank goodness at least I can get Johnsonville brats at Publix!!

Old 08-29-2020, 05:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Moved to Florida from Wisconsin almost a year ago. Florida does not have Diet Squirt. Anywhere. Trust me, we've looked and asked.
Fresh cheese curds (obviously), shredded or shaved Asiago cheese in the round plastic tubs, nor decent meat sticks. I also miss the grind your coffee right in the store options in every grocery store "back home". I also miss Bellatori's gluten free frozen pizzas. There also was a fresh gluten free pasta maker in Madison, the local grocery stores carried it.
Thank goodness at least I can get Johnsonville brats at Publix!!
Love Johnsonville brats. We get them here. I have some in my freezer right now.

Old 08-29-2020, 05:55 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,404,881 times
My mom’s gumbo

Crawfish bisque with stuffed crawfish heads

Po’ boys, fried shrimp and roast beef were my faves

Red beans and rice, made with Camllia red beans

Popeyes Chicken. The Popeyes spicy chicken here, and everywhere outside of NOLA I’ve lived, is nowhere near the spicy you get back at home. Plus it’s too greasy out here. I miss Church’s chicken, too. I haven’t seen a Church’s anywhere.

Daiquiris. I’m not talking the peach or strawberry ones you can get anywhere. In NOLA, there are daiquiri shops in every neighborhood that offer a variety of flavors. My favorite flavor was 190 Octane. It was nice and strong.

Pralines

There was a Community House coffee plant not far from where I lived. Every morning when I left for work, I could smell the coffee. Smelled so good. I wasn’t drinking coffee at the time but my parents drinked Community House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink