Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2020, 12:42 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I remember going to the Jewish quarter in Rome searching for bagels, and being unable to fine them. Apparently the bagel is an exclusive NY thing.
I think more specifically it is a Polish Jewish thing. (and thus found where Polish Jews settled in large numbers, NYC and Montreal being chief among them). Possibly Rome's Jews are mostly Sephardic and don't have a tradition of the food culture of Askenazim?

Did the Jewish bakeries in Rome that you visited sell challah, bialy, and rye breads, or more along the lines of matzoh, mouna, and pita type breads?

Last edited by ABQConvict; 09-04-2020 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 01:28 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Blockschokolade - cheap dark chocolate in pound bars. Either to bake with or break teeth with.
You can get pound bars of very decent dark chocolate at Trader Joe's. Will that suffice?

Old 09-04-2020, 01:43 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I miss a good NY bagel. 99% of bagels in the rest of the country are poor imposters.

I remember going to the Jewish quarter in Rome searching for bagels, and being unable to fine them. Apparently the bagel is an exclusive NY thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think more specifically it is a Polish Jewish thing. (and thus found where Polish Jews settled in large numbers, NYC and Montreal being chief among them). Possibly Rome's Jews are mostly Sephardic and don't have a tradition of the food culture of Askenazim?
I spent some of my teen years in Montréal, and, yes, I really miss the bagels and Montréal smoked meat from the Jewish delis there. Montréal has an incredible food culture. I remember hearing years ago that one of the best-selling editions, if not the best selling, of now defunct Gourmet magazine was the issue featuring the cuisine of Montréal. Doesn't surprise me if that's true.

I also grew up in Toronto, which has a huge immigrant population, including transplants from all over Europe. From there, I miss all the family-owned Italian, Greek, Portuguese, German, Scottish, French, Hungarian, Polish, Swiss, etc restaurants and bakeries we took for granted. Chain restaurants just aren't the same.

We took a number of family vacations to Nova Scotia to visit relatives. My uncle would go to one of the nearby docks around lunchtime, as he often does, to meet the local fishermen coming in with their daily catches, and we'd have a huge feast of fresh Nova Scotia lobster that night.

Old 09-04-2020, 03:43 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Did the Jewish bakeries in Rome that you visited sell challah, bialy, and rye breads, or more along the lines of matzoh, mouna, and pita type breads?
I believe you are correct that the Jews of Rome are of a different branch. I honestly don't remember the details of the bread in the bakeries. Once I discovered the pointlessness of searching for bagels, I moved on to more traditional Italian breads. I did have a brief fantasy revolving around opening up a bagel shop outside Piazza Argentina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I spent some of my teen years in Montréal, and, yes, I really miss the bagels and Montréal smoked meat from the Jewish delis there. Montréal has an incredible food culture. I remember hearing years ago that one of the best-selling editions, if not the best selling, of now defunct Gourmet magazine was the issue featuring the cuisine of Montréal. Doesn't surprise me if that's true.

I also grew up in Toronto, which has a huge immigrant population, including transplants from all over Europe. From there, I miss all the family-owned Italian, Greek, Portuguese, German, Scottish, French, Hungarian, Polish, Swiss, etc restaurants and bakeries we took for granted. Chain restaurants just aren't the same.

We took a number of family vacations to Nova Scotia to visit relatives. My uncle would go to one of the nearby docks around lunchtime, as he often does, to meet the local fishermen coming in with their daily catches, and we'd have a huge feast of fresh Nova Scotia lobster that night.
Montreal does have an amazing food culture. Probably better than Toronto's, but that would be a great argument to have and to settle by sampling the various restaurants, delis and bakeries.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:32 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,433,845 times
The Hollenbeck burrito platter, enchiladas rancheras, and the oven baked taco dinner -- all from Anita's New Mexico Style Mexican Food. Six restaurants in Northern Virginia, and it was our comfort food for over 20 years.

Old 09-05-2020, 03:30 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Good ones pretty much are. We did have a decent place in DAllas and there are areas in So Ca, especially areas near L.A. they do a darn good job.
Noah's and Einsteins's come to mind. I have two Noah's Bagels shops within two miles of my house - I love picking up a baker's dozen deal with two schmears as a treat for my staff before heading to work (pre-COVID, of course).

Living in So Cal is a culinary blessing, a gastronomic luxury - there is so little of the world that isn't represented here.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:52 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And the juice dribbling down your chin will tell you it was worth it!
You have to eat a ripe peach at the kitchen sink. That's a rule, though outside will do nicely.

Old 09-05-2020, 11:04 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,441,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I miss having a Polish provisioner or two nearby that makes their own sausages, pirogi, and stuffed cabbage. . And the variety of things available at a good neighborhood corner bakery.
Yes, Ohio in the 50's Polish grandma made pierogi and stuffed cabbage...they were delicious.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Noah's and Einsteins's come to mind. I have two Noah's Bagels shops within two miles of my house - I love picking up a baker's dozen deal with two schmears as a treat for my staff before heading to work (pre-COVID, of course).

Living in So Cal is a culinary blessing, a gastronomic luxury - there is so little of the world that isn't represented here.
we have Einsteins here and yes, they are a distant 2nd to real NY and L.a. bagels. We also have another bagel place but even then, they are not like the bagels I remember in San Fernando Valley. Our son in law who is Jewish and introduced us to bagels was raised in San Fernando Valley.

I know what you mean about living in So. CA I grew up there and my dad loved to teach us the merits of good, ethnic food.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:03 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
You can get pound bars of very decent dark chocolate at Trader Joe's. Will that suffice?
Thank you for your suggestion. No, it is not the same cheap gritty chocolate in paper backed foil. You have the kids soak the paper off and use the foil to make Chrismas ornaments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink