Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2020, 10:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That has me curious. I grew up in New Jersey, and avocado to me was a popular color for kitchen appliances in the 1970s. I had a vague idea that it was some kind of food thing that grew on a tree, but it wasn't something that was sold in the supermarket or that anyone I knew had ever eaten.

Fast forward to the 80s, when noodles became pasta and people started eating things like sushi that no one had ever heard of and pretending they liked it so everyone would think they were trendy and cool.

I started to hear people talk about avocados and artichokes, but I couldn't have identified either if you'd thrown them at me, and I even thought for a while that they were the same thing.

About fifteen years ago, I finally tried guacamole. I'd never really been impressed with Mexican food, but I liked tacos made at home. I asked whoever gave it to me what guacamole was made of, and they said "avocado"!

AHA! The whole 1970s appliance color made sense. They were talking about THIS!

In the past five years or so, I've been served salads that have slices of avocado in them. Hmm. Took a bit to get over the texture of that in my mouth, but it didn't taste bad, so I ate it. As a matter of fact, it didn't taste like anything at all. I had no idea why people would want to eat avocado on its own, but now guacamole made more sense. It's a base for the spices that make it taste good! It works because it has no flavor of its own.

I eat avocados more regularly lately because I'm making my overall diet healthier. Good fats, supposedly. Sometimes I do detect a hint of a sort of grassy taste. It's not unpleasant. But by and large, avocados really don't taste like much to me. I know other people who just don't get why people eat avocados, and I've wondered if they are like tomatoes, where if you get them locally they are wonderful, but if you get them in a supermarket, they taste like nothing. The phrase I bolded above seems to indicate that this is the case.
I guess the color of appliances would be confusing to someone who does not eat avocados regularly. As for liking them or having them on salads, exactly: Ca avocados have more flavor than any others even more than Florida ones. I know a lot of what you get from the east coast have been shipped in and probably picked too soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 01:15 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I guess the color of appliances would be confusing to someone who does not eat avocados regularly. As for liking them or having them on salads, exactly: Ca avocados have more flavor than any others even more than Florida ones. I know a lot of what you get from the east coast have been shipped in and probably picked too soon.
I'm eating half of one right now, sliced and put into my salad. Ground some pepper over it because that helps, but it really has no discernible flavor whatsoever. I'm eating it because it's considered a "healthy fat".

Sometimes I put chili powder on them.

They are also probably bred to survive shipping. I mean, you buy them, and sometimes it's days before they are soft enough to eat.

They're like peaches, which DO grow around here, but only for a short season. As a matter of fact, I have an elderly friend who never understood why people eat peaches. She was from the city and had only ever had ones from the supermarket, which are like baseballs.

I went peach-picking at an orchard in the area and brought her some taken right from the tree. She couldn't believe it. Had no idea that's what peaches are supposed to taste like.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
I'm eating half of one right now, sliced and put into my salad. Ground some pepper over it because that helps, but it really has no discernible flavor whatsoever. I'm eating it because it's considered a "healthy fat".

Sometimes I put chili powder on them.

They are also probably bred to survive shipping. I mean, you buy them, and sometimes it's days before they are soft enough to eat.

They're like peaches, which DO grow around here, but only for a short season. As a matter of fact, I have an elderly friend who never understood why people eat peaches. She was from the city and had only ever had ones from the supermarket, which are like baseballs.

I went peach-picking at an orchard in the area and brought her some taken right from the tree. She couldn't believe it. Had no idea that's what peaches are supposed to taste like.
Let's face it, nothing is as good as it is fresh off the tree or out of the garden. Growing up I was so lucky to live in SoCa where we had so much fresh fruit in our back yard. We had avocado tree, tangerine, 3 apricot trees, plum, fig and grapefruit. My grandma also had an avocado tree and my aunt and uncle had peaches as well as an orange orchard.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:39 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Let's face it, nothing is as good as it is fresh off the tree or out of the garden. Growing up I was so lucky to live in SoCa where we had so much fresh fruit in our back yard. We had avocado tree, tangerine, 3 apricot trees, plum, fig and grapefruit. My grandma also had an avocado tree and my aunt and uncle had peaches as well as an orange orchard.
So then you can answer the question: Do locally-grown avocados really have any sort of significant taste?

Old 09-16-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
So then you can answer the question: Do locally-grown avocados really have any sort of significant taste?
More than a different taste, they simply have a lot more taste. The texture isn't different at all. I am sure those who do not care for them are affected by the texture as you mentioned yesterday. I am surprised spoiled brat likes them as he is very much into texture

Old 09-16-2020, 04:01 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,612,664 times
Wisconsin: bratwurst & beer, very good East European restaurants
Iowa: not much honestly... the "loose meat" sandwiches were unique but not so great
Florida: "latin style" grilled chicken (marinated) with black beans & rice
Utah: Crownburgers - burgers with a big pile of mild pastrami & grilled onions on top served with "fry sauce"

Back here at home in good NY pizza gets harder & harder to find each year. It's either bland to awful chains (anything that has tv ads) or folks from the newer countries using cheap ingredients with lack of seasoning or undercooked crust. The old school Italian or Greek guys are mostly gone & for all the slice places around it's sometimes hard to find a good one.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:12 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,441,353 times
Quote:
I can also answer that question, YES local grown avocados, just off the tree are amazing, full of flavor, smooth, creamy texture. I grew 3 different varieties when I lived in SoCal and I sure miss them. I also miss the citrus I grew, especially Meyer lemons, blood oranges, Mexican limes, tangerines.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I can also answer that question, YES local grown avocados, just off the tree are amazing, full of flavor, smooth, creamy texture. I grew 3 different varieties when I lived in SoCal and I sure miss them. I also miss the citrus I grew, especially Meyer lemons, blood oranges, Mexican limes, tangerines.
I am growing Meyer Lemons here in the Seattle area. It's in a 5 gallon pot, and stays indoors until about May thru October. I generally get 10-12 twice a year. I'd love to have fresh avocados but that would be too big to be bringing in and out of the house. I also miss the fresh artichokes that we used to grow in CA. I tried them here and they did well for two years, then the next winter we had a sustained cold down to 10F and they succumbed. The ones they ship up here are just not the same.

Old 09-17-2020, 02:56 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,441,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I am growing Meyer Lemons here in the Seattle area. It's in a 5 gallon pot, and stays indoors until about May thru October. I generally get 10-12 twice a year. I'd love to have fresh avocados but that would be too big to be bringing in and out of the house. I also miss the fresh artichokes that we used to grow in CA. I tried them here and they did well for two years, then the next winter we had a sustained cold down to 10F and they succumbed. The ones they ship up here are just not the same.
LOL, you sound like me. I brought one avocado tree with me when I moved to the Olympic Peninsula. I started it from a pit, and it's now 6' tall. I drag it outside around April & back inside around late November. Of course it bears no fruit. but I can't let it go. It's rootbound, the next size container is a nursery crate, so I guess I'm screwed now.

Old 09-18-2020, 07:51 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,759,896 times
I miss the apples grown in the Hudson Valley area of NY. We are in FL now and apples are limited to imported Gala, Honey Crisp, Fuji, Granny Smith etc. I miss McCoun apples the most, they were my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink