Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 05:16 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Don't add cream.

BTW - I'm not trying to be difficult. I just adhere to the principle of "moderation."

Everything in moderation......... including moderation.

And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 08:33 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Good ol' spuds. Such a versatile food. Baked, fried, roasted, grilled they are always good. I've heard it said that it's not potatoes that are unhealthy, its what we put on them. Cheese, bacon, REAL butter (YUM), sour cream, other various dipping makings like ranch dressing, and on into infinity the options go.

Really, who wants to eat a plain potatoe cooked in whatever manner? For breakfast, lunch or dinner the spud is ready for duty. I confess a soft spot for frying them. hash browns are right up there with French fries. Home fries not far behind. And skins are a triumph of culinary art with spuds. When I make them I use the scooped out portions for hash browns the next morning. Left over baked I make home fries with or maybe a cluster bomb mix of spuds , eggs, bacon and or /ham or sausage, top with cheese, sour cream and salsa. A real, honest breakfast skillet scramble.

I have eaten like this a LOT over the decades. I just had some in depth testing done on my heart and vascular system. I do have high triglycerides and BP, but these are both hereditary. Gifts from my Dad. My Sister, who is a serious healthy eating nut, has the same issues after decades of eating rabbit food.

After hitting my late 40s, keeping the weight off became more difficult, so I have slowed up a lot on such dishes as I outlined above. I've become quite fond of fish, in my beef I always preferred lean meat, and everything I raised was grass fed. The pork I raised ate healthy as well, so as to keep the meat lean. I'm not a fat fan with my meat.

At any rate, I ain't skeered to eat the good stuff. I can't envision French fries every day, but will eat them when put in front of me. meh, you can't live in fear....

Old 06-14-2017, 08:53 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Good ol' spuds. Such a versatile food. Baked, fried, roasted, grilled they are always good. I've heard it said that it's not potatoes that are unhealthy, its what we put on them. Cheese, bacon, REAL butter (YUM), sour cream, other various dipping makings like ranch dressing, and on into infinity the options go.

Really, who wants to eat a plain potatoe cooked in whatever manner? For breakfast, lunch or dinner the spud is ready for duty. I confess a soft spot for frying them. hash browns are right up there with French fries. Home fries not far behind. And skins are a triumph of culinary art with spuds. When I make them I use the scooped out portions for hash browns the next morning. Left over baked I make home fries with or maybe a cluster bomb mix of spuds , eggs, bacon and or /ham or sausage, top with cheese, sour cream and salsa. A real, honest breakfast skillet scramble.

I have eaten like this a LOT over the decades. I just had some in depth testing done on my heart and vascular system. I do have high triglycerides and BP, but these are both hereditary. Gifts from my Dad. My Sister, who is a serious healthy eating nut, has the same issues after decades of eating rabbit food.

After hitting my late 40s, keeping the weight off became more difficult, so I have slowed up a lot on such dishes as I outlined above. I've become quite fond of fish, in my beef I always preferred lean meat, and everything I raised was grass fed. The pork I raised ate healthy as well, so as to keep the meat lean. I'm not a fat fan with my meat.

At any rate, I ain't skeered to eat the good stuff. I can't envision French fries every day, but will eat them when put in front of me. meh, you can't live in fear....
Now you're talking my kind of breakfast fixin's. Yes, I too love potatoes in every conceivable form. My cholesterol was high though I've never had a weight problem. I quit taking the med so I can eat grapefruit. I'm not afraid of the fries either. I have them maybe two or three times a week for lunch and sometimes with a dinner.

I've always trimmed all the fat off meats. Doesn't seem to help on the cholesterol numbers. Oh well. Not to make light of eating healthy. I do what I can within reason.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:01 PM

510 posts, read 371,319 times
There are many different kinds of oils that can be used to fry French fries. I'm not so sure they are equally dangerous. So what does one really know about the differences in types of oils?

I liked what Dr. Mercola said that eating a French fry was almost as dangerous as smoking a cigarette. But if smokers smoke 300,000+ cigarettes, how many French fries do most eaters have in a lifetime?

Relating to potatoes, they say don't eat potato chips as they are loaded with trans-fats. We happened to have 3 kinds of potato chips on hand, so I checked and all had 0 mg trans-fats. Makes me wonder what year they did their research?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Oh boy, don't tell me not to eat french fries!

Eating French Fries Is Linked to a Higher Risk of Death | Time.com

Old 06-14-2017, 10:10 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Now you're talking my kind of breakfast fixin's. Yes, I too love potatoes in every conceivable form. My cholesterol was high though I've never had a weight problem. I quit taking the med so I can eat grapefruit. I'm not afraid of the fries either. I have them maybe two or three times a week for lunch and sometimes with a dinner.

I've always trimmed all the fat off meats. Doesn't seem to help on the cholesterol numbers. Oh well. Not to make light of eating healthy. I do what I can within reason.

Diet makes no difference in my triglyceride numbers either. It's just the way my body is. I never had a serious problem with my weight, but being older now I do have to work a lot harder to keep from getting that way. Diet does make a difference there. I still eat the good stuff, but downsized portions to where I can burn it off.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:16 PM

38,909 posts, read 22,906,011 times
Quote:

I like French fries but I eat them only a couple of times a month, if that. As someone mentioned, everything in moderation.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:40 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
In the article, 236 of the 4400 study participants died during the period of 8 years. Among those, it was found that those who ate fries 2X weekly or more were more likely to have died.

I'd like to see those numbers broken down. If you take those who eat what we now (in 2017, it'll be different next year)think is a very healthy diet vs. those who eat fries, what numerical difference was noted?

And what caused their death? Did they suffer a fatal wreck in the pick up line at McDonalds? Did they slip on a dropped fry?

I read an interesting study about 3rd graders. The theory was that those who ate fast food more than 2X a week probably were overweight compared to kids who ate fast food fewer than once a month. The study ended up finding no correlation at all with the third grades eating fast food frequently and being overweight. The study did, however, not that kids who ate fast food were likely to do significantly worse on weekly spelling tests than kids who never ate fast food. So the study concluded that some ingredients in fast food must interfere with their ability to concentrate and study. REALLY??? How about those who ate fast food were likely living in homes where the parents spent less time sitting at the kitchen table practicing the week's words for the test.

Correlations. Researchers so often miss causes when they look at correlations.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:05 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,141,478 times
It is good if these reports start putting people off French fries. I've always found it ridiculous how often fries are included as THE side dish on so many entrees. And usually you get a ridiculous amount of them, a true binge on a regular serving. They are loaded with fat, salt and grease and have virtually no positive benefits. Terrible for your weight, skin, blood pressure, cholesterol, pretty much everything. It really doesn't get much more unhealthy than French fries.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:24 AM

105 posts, read 53,077 times
Quote:

We needed a study to know this???

Most people have been well aware of the unhealthy nature of french fries (or all things fried) for decades. How is this a revelation?

Old 06-15-2017, 10:05 AM

865 posts, read 623,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I like to chop potatoes and onions and put them in the oven with some olive oil, garlic and various other seasonings. Not big on fries, I don't think they taste good enough to be worth the calories. Being vain might pay off!
This is what I do now, kids like it better than fried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink