Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 01:15 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,569,487 times

Advertisements

I just got an air fryer for my birthday. It's awesome if you're a french fry junkie. I can make them for 70 calories a serving and they are every bit as good, if not better because they are piping hot unlike those at many restaurants. I don't eat them now going out. I just have a normal serving with a tiny side of ketchup at home, probably save like a few thousand calories a week. I do chicken tenders, blooming onions, etc. when I need my junk fix. I've already lost weight even though I've only owned this thing for a month. My mom and I found mine on Ebay... we didn't spend $300+ on something new. I got mine for $42 plus tax, pre-owned from a verified seller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 01:30 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I just got an air fryer for my birthday. It's awesome if you're a french fry junkie. I can make them for 70 calories a serving and they are every bit as good, if not better because they are piping hot unlike those at many restaurants. I don't eat them now going out. I just have a normal serving with a tiny side of ketchup at home, probably save like a few thousand calories a week. I do chicken tenders, blooming onions, etc. when I need my junk fix. I've already lost weight even though I've only owned this thing for a month. My mom and I found mine on Ebay... we didn't spend $300+ on something new. I got mine for $42 plus tax, pre-owned from a verified seller.
I'm not usually impressed with these new fangled gadgets but like I've said, air fryers are great. Glad you discovered them. Oh yes, the wings couldn't be better than they are air fried. We love ours and have two identical made by Philips. One is analog with a crank timer and the other is digital.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:57 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Why are you being difficult?

Those who ate the fries died earlier than those who did not (in the study).

Now give me hints on how not to mess up my carbonara!!!
I wonder what else they ate, their ages, their overall health, what did they die from? All of these basic questions are completely left out. This hardly qualifies as a study.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:37 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I wonder what else they ate, their ages, their overall health, what did they die from? All of these basic questions are completely left out. This hardly qualifies as a study.
Yeah. Or the article just didn't share that part....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-15-2017, 06:54 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,569,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I'm not usually impressed with these new fangled gadgets but like I've said, air fryers are great. Glad you discovered them. Oh yes, the wings couldn't be better than they are air fried. We love ours and have two identical made by Philips. One is analog with a crank timer and the other is digital.
Ohmygosh, yes... wings... I think you just gave me my dinner menu for tomorrow night. I've cooked for my whole family with this thing and now we are buying one for my brother and my dad. I'm usually not into TV infomercial appliances but this is great, well worth the money considering not many of us are going to ever give up fried food entirely... nor should we have to!

Old 06-15-2017, 07:05 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Ohmygosh, yes... wings... I think you just gave me my dinner menu for tomorrow night. I've cooked for my whole family with this thing and now we are buying one for my brother and my dad. I'm usually not into TV infomercial appliances but this is great, well worth the money considering not many of us are going to ever give up fried food entirely... nor should we have to!

Sounds like a nifty piece of gear. Might have to look into it. I've got a pretty nice little convection oven that I really like. I don't even own a microwave and haven't for some time. I don't need one, and they don't cook anything but prefab food very well anyway. OK for reheating, but even there many foods (like leftover wings) turn out soggy and mushy. Yuck!

Old 06-15-2017, 07:07 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,133,526 times
Drinking an excessive amount of water has also been linked to an early death.

Everything is linked to death somewhere. After all death is nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:33 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Sounds like a nifty piece of gear. Might have to look into it. I've got a pretty nice little convection oven that I really like. I don't even own a microwave and haven't for some time. I don't need one, and they don't cook anything but prefab food very well anyway. OK for reheating, but even there many foods (like leftover wings) turn out soggy and mushy. Yuck!
Yeah the air fryer is great for reheating fried foods too.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:18 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Oh boy, don't tell me not to eat french fries!

Eating French Fries Is Linked to a Higher Risk of Death | Time.com
This is not news. The regular comsumption of deep fried foods is associated with a higher risk of cancer.

To say "Eating French Fries causes Death" is a bit deceptive and extreme, though.
The study specifically targets people who are 45 and older. If you are in your 40s or better, and French Fries - or any fried foods are a regualar part of your diet, I am going to make a wild guess and say that you are also drinking milk shakes, eating ice cream regularly, candy, sugar and red meat - also cooked at a high temperature.

I am also going to guess that walking, golf, bycyle riding and going to the gym are not part of your life. Probably this person is sedentary, and carrying around some extra weight.

Bottom line - no one lives forever. And the "study" that aging people are dying is hardly a shocker.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:24 AM

50,384 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Well, everyone has eaten French fries, and everyone dies. Obviously, what they say is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink