Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 07:40 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times

Advertisements

Don't forget the....

vegan (you'll never know) oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
Carr's lemon ginger cookies
olive tapenade
organic tomato and roasted red pepper soup
palak paneer
field fresh chopped salad
lemon ginger echinacea drink
cherry cider
veggie birds nest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
chcolate almond spread. It is basically nutella, sub almonds for hazelnuts. Very yummy.

I have also been recently addicted to the honey roasted sliced almonds.

And the dried tart cherries are so yummy. Like the best fruit snacks ever, with a great blend of tart and sweet.

Sparkling pomegranate juice and sparkling chardonnay grape juice are great non-alcoholic options for festive occasions. My family goes gahgah for these during the holidays.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am really surprised to say they have the same sellection as Aldi's. I have shopped both for years and have never seen the same anything. Both have a purpose, but nothing near the same merchandise. One is discount and has great deals, the other consentrates on specialty items. I will have to check a little closer. The one thing that might be similar is the produce, but Aldis has a much larger choice.
I am NOT going to say that Aldi and Trader Joe's offer identical products. I will say that they carry about 150 very similar or identical items. You will find a lot of these in the cookies, crackers, candies, some frozen goods, and the like.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times
The closest TJ's is 184-mile round trip from us, so we stock up whenever we have the chance. What we ALWAYS buy at TJ's:

-Basil. We always buy at least 10 large clamshells. It's organic, it's very good, it's as fresh as what sold at farmer's market and at a much lower price. I make pesto all year round from TJ's basil.

-Arugula. We always buy at least half a dozen bags. Also organic, and stay fresh up to three weeks in the fridge, but since I eat salad every day, it does not last that long.

-Red wine. Husband was instructed by his cardiologist many years ago to drink a glass of red with meals daily, so we always buy one of every bottle that costs under $4.99. Usually that came to about 35 bottles.

-Pine nuts. To go with basil in pesto.

After that, our grocery budget would usually be more or less cleaned out, so we head straight to the checkout without looking at anything else.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 01-30-2013 at 08:13 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 PM

5,134 posts, read 4,486,386 times
No trip to TJ's is complete without...

Dark Chocolate Covered Peppermint Joe Joe Cookies
Chocolate Macadmia Lace Cookies
Comte cheese
Soy & Flaxseed Tortilla Chips
Salsa Autentica
Trader Giotto’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sweet Potato Chips
Tarte d’Alsace frozen pizza

Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
Oh Boy, do I miss Trader Joe's.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:55 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the blue cheese/roasted pecan dip!! I need to go to TJ's again!!
I go very rarely, now that I discovered Hy-Vee. They have many more gluten free choices. I don't believe i have EVER been to TJ's when there was any gluten free bread left. Empty bin every single time.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I am NOT going to say that Aldi and Trader Joe's offer identical products. I will say that they carry about 150 very similar or identical items. You will find a lot of these in the cookies, crackers, candies, some frozen goods, and the like.
I have to somewhat agree with you, when you look at the packaging on the produce for example, but Trader Joe's is more of a specialty store in my opinion. In fact I am about positive of it. None of my favorite Trader Joe's products can be found at Aldis...Maybe the crackers and some snacks are the same just using different names. I do love Aldi's chips, crackers etc, though I rarely eat chips.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
The closest TJ's is 184-mile round trip from us, so we stock up whenever we have the chance. What we ALWAYS buy at TJ's:

-Basil. We always buy at least 10 large clamshells. It's organic, it's very good, it's as fresh as what sold at farmer's market and at a much lower price. I make pesto all year round from TJ's basil.

-Arugula. We always buy at least half a dozen bags. Also organic, and stay fresh up to three weeks in the fridge, but since I eat salad every day, it does not last that long.

-Red wine. Husband was instructed by his cardiologist many years ago to drink a glass of red with meals daily, so we always buy one of every bottle that costs under $4.99. Usually that came to about 35 bottles.

-Pine nuts. To go with basil in pesto.

After that, our grocery budget would usually be more or less cleaned out, so we head straight to the checkout without looking at anything else.
OMG the basil. We got a huge plant of it for like $3 when we were in Ca for my step moms memorial service. We used it for some of our appitizers. Then we gave the rest of the plant to my niece. I always wondered if she used it...I did take some leaves off and brought them back to AR. It was amazing, a few weeks later they were still fresh...

Old 01-31-2013, 02:30 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG the basil. We got a huge plant of it for like $3 when we were in Ca for my step moms memorial service. We used it for some of our appitizers. Then we gave the rest of the plant to my niece. I always wondered if she used it...I did take some leaves off and brought them back to AR. It was amazing, a few weeks later they were still fresh...
I had always grown basil in every place we lived, except here. For six months of the year, it's too cold outdoors and not enough sunlight indoors for any kind of herbs to grow. Besides, with the amount of basil we use daily, I probably would need an entire greenhouse of basil plants. We spend a lot of money on TJ's basil, but it's worth every dime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink