Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 05:53 PM

979 posts, read 3,829,383 times

Advertisements

Swordfish. I just don't know what I'm doing with it yet.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:38 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,013,215 times
I ended up pan grilling a nice sirloin steak....rare....and served it with red bliss potatoes and fresh string beans....and DP had rice as well. Deviled eggs on the side.

I wasnt planning on doing the 6 layer dinner.....I was planning on Kielbasa...but the best laid plans of mice and men, oftimes gang a gee.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
stir fry pork loin and cabbage wok around the clock.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:52 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
elston I thought you had changed your mind to the 6 layer dish. I copied it I will have to see about trying it later have other things I want to cook this week planned. But you are right about best laid plans.

SuziSu I say eat that swordfish! I have never cooked swordfish so can't help ya sorry.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:00 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
Oh boy.... long night... Chatterbox ended up with a migraine. My poor little one. So dinner was fast and quick and grab and go... still as planned but nobody ate together and it was made ahead. Nobody complained though. I am still munchie actually and have been downing tons of cukes and vinegar... I miss my beats.... I could go for some right now. The Easter Baskets don't really look that good. I want salt. KETTLE CHIPS??!!!!! Yup... that is what I want! Oh.... I feel like it has really been forever since I have been able to get on and chat on here..... I do miss being able to catch up with you all.....

Elston... that layered dish sounds really good actually! And easy... I could do that with ground turkey don't ya think?

Old 04-14-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
SuziSu I say eat that swordfish! I have never cooked swordfish so can't help ya sorry.
LOL! Thanks Jaxson! I will eat that swordfish!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:44 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
skbs we miss you when you aren't here as often too.

SuziSu glad you got my humor! Did you catch the swordfish yourself?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:25 PM

Oh gosh I wish! Nope frozen. If I had a boat I would've though! LOVE THAT DEEP SEA FISHIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 09:17 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times
Whoosh, so much going on here today. Sending out well wishes for Coastal, Highlands and Bella - hope that all of you and families heal fast.

We did something kind of different for supper tonight, or at least different for us. Some friends of ours really like this one restaurant downtown, an extremely highbrow, la-di-dah place, the hoitiest of the hoity-toity restaurants in town, a place that we had never been to before. We're greatly blessed with really, really good restaurants here, and it really isn't necessary to drop $75 per person to get a good meal here, so we've never really been interested in going to that particular snob palace.

Well, this fancy restaurant must be feeling the pinch, because they've started up a monthly event where they offer a meal described as "family-style comfort food," and at the real bargain price -- cough, cough -- of only $22 per person. That's only about twice what we'd normally pay for a good restaurant meal around here, but eh, it's supposed to be this really high-quality special place that's worth the extra cost. So when a group of our friends asked us if we wanted to join in for this month's meal, we said, "sure, why not?"

So we met up with four other couples, all good friends, for this family-style comfort food dinner at the fancy place. The meal is entirely set in advance: no ordering, no switching, your choices are take it or leave it. Tonight's menu was Southern Fried Chicken, served with mashed potatoes, gravy, cole slaw, a jalapeno biscuit and pecan pie with ice cream. All for the modest fee of $22 per person. Drinks are extra: beer either $4 or $5 per bottle, wine $6 per glass, or you can have iced tea or soda pop for $2.50 per glass. No charge for water, though.

Well, the company was terrific. It was great fun to get together with our friends and just chat and catch up with each other; we're all busy people and don't have enough opportunities to do that sort of thing. We all do volunteer work on this big annual convention every year, which takes up a lot of time and energy, so it was a treat to get to talk about things other than the convention for a change.

The food, however, was distinctly underwhelming. Chicken was adequate, but I've not only had better, I can make better. The cole slaw was limp and relatively flavorless. The small dab of mashed potatoes frankly tasted like instant, and the gravy was clearly fresh out of the can. The biscuit was stone-cold, tough, and if there was any jalapeno in it, you couldn't prove it by me. The pecan pie was interesting; they used blackstrap molasses instead of dark corn syrup, which was, well, interesting.

Talk about a triumph of marketing - whoever dreamed up the idea of shilling in 60 or 70 people to pony up $22 each for a meal that's on a par with what you'd get in a greasy spoon for a few bucks, just because it's in a "fancy restaurant," is a real marketing genius. Old PT Barnum knew what he was talking about, I guess.

On the bright side, though, I hardly have any dishes to do tonight.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:26 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,759 times
Hello in here. Late again... Owell, better late than never I ended up making a ham for the Easter pot luck as well as the pasta salad. No left overs ha ha I bought another ham for 8$ and it was 13lbs. Good price I think..... I will cook that to have here for Papa, hub and boys. I have to do ham and bean soup next... Probably Sunday. I made a London Broil yesterday and it was so good. I had the strips of steak over salad... Hub had mashed potatos, corn, and gravy with his. Today I started work off with a party of 30... Boy was I running Then a full dining room. No complaints I am happy to be busy. Tired now.. but thankfull.
Oh yeah deviled eggs...... I have a secret!! BACON Yup I add bacon bits and a little bacon fat. Ha ha I know... Sticks to your side kind of food Well I am reading and trying to keep up. Just so you all know... Good Night and Sewwt dreams<333
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink