Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:46 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,571,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Thank you for your response, as it is greatly appreciated. I feel as though Central Florida is more family-friendly than South Florida, especially the Greater Orlando area. My opinion is largely based off of the fact that there are more theme parks and family-friendly attractions in Orlando than Tampa, though Tampa is not that far behind in this department.

I cannot speak for Tampa's theme parks as I have never been to any of them

The Orlando area, for some reason or another, has better air quality than the Tampa Bay area. I would have thought the opposite, seeing as how Tampa is a coastal city whereas Orlando is located much farther inland than Tampa. In fact, the Tampa Bay area has the worst air quality of any metropolitan area in Florida. But that's not saying much, though, seeing as how Florida metro areas seem to consistently lead the nation in having the best air quality. However, I would have thought that the sea breezes from Tampa Bay and the Gulf of Mexico would help give Tampa better air quality...

I'm not worried about Tampa's "bad" air quality. We're lucky to live in a mostly flat state where our smog just gets blown away, and frequent summer storms washing away all the dirt and crud both in the air and on the ground

I'm assuming that the cost of living, as well as the cost of housing, is greater in Tampa than Orlando because Tampa is a larger, slightly more cosmopolitan city and has a more diverse economy. Tampa definitely seems grittier than Orlando, though. But then again, that's not saying much either. This is Florida after all, not Upstate New York or Michigan.

I have to say I respectfully disagree with you on Tampa being a more cosmopolitan city. Larger yes, but more cosmopolitan? I'm not sure. Orlando seems to be more racially diverse and has a much larger gay population than Tampa does. So while Tampa may be the larger more economically diverse city, Orlando is the smaller, more racially diverse, and sexually diverse cosmopolitan city. But this is more opinion than fact

Orlando is probably better situated than Tampa within the state. Residents of Orlando have fairly easy access to both the Atlantic coast and the Gulf coast, as well as easier access to Interstate 95. That translate to easier access to South Florida and to all points north on the East Coast. To some like myself, seeing as how I'm originally from the Northeast and currently living in South Florida, easier access to I-95 would be appreciated more so than easier access to I-75. Although I enjoy having the beach so close to my home down here in South Florida, I'm so busy most of the time that I don't have much time to enjoy it. My weekends are usually filled with errands and engagements, so I only really have time to go to the beach if I have a long weekend from work. My point is that it wouldn't bother me at all to live farther inland, in the event I decided to relocate to Orlando.

Orlando has good access to Cocoa Beach via the 528 (aka the Beachline Expressway) Orlando has also a direct route to SoFla via the Florida Turnpike, which also provides access to I-75 and points north. I-4 connects us to both I-95 and points north as well as I-75 and points south. If you're traveling anywhere in Florida, almost no place is too far from Orlando except the Keys and the Panhandle (the latter nobody really cares about0

I did not realize that wages and salaries were higher in Orlando than in Tampa. That's news to me. I thought they were about the same in both cities. Interesting...

I thought they were the same myself.

How do property taxes and homeowner's insurance compare in Orange and Seminole Counties vs. Hillsborough County?
Orange and Seminole Counties probably have lower insurance rates simply for being further away from either coastline. Once again, this is opinion and I could be wrong
My thoughts in Orange (like Orange County lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 01:31 PM

157 posts, read 284,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
I-95 is awful anywhere in Florida..lol
There is a distinctive difference between the way people drive in Jupiter/West Palm compared to farther south. I notice it right around the time I hit Boca. Trust me, I commuted daily from DT Lauderdale to Jupiter for a while, and I've lived in Miami - 95 is not the same everywhere. Drivers are far more rude, and insane, the farther south you go. I wouldn't live in Broward or Miami Dade again even if it were rent free.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:59 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,571,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmeyer View Post
There is a distinctive difference between the way people drive in Jupiter/West Palm compared to farther south. I notice it right around the time I hit Boca. Trust me, I commuted daily from DT Lauderdale to Jupiter for a while, and I've lived in Miami - 95 is not the same everywhere. Drivers are far more rude, and insane, the farther south you go. I wouldn't live in Broward or Miami Dade again even if it were rent free.
It's a little different up here in Central Florida. Regardless of whether you live in Orange, Osceola or Seminole County, drivers on I-4 go very fast and will honk at you if you are slowing them down even in the slightest. The speed limit on 4 through Orlando is 55, but most people are going 70-75+

However, a lot of drivers here in CFL will work with you, like when you're trying to merge, change lanes, etc I heard that doesn't happen too often in South Florida

Old 03-17-2013, 08:10 PM

7 posts, read 17,544 times
This thread is months old, but I have to respond to people saying the unfriendliness is because of New Yorkers, Latins, Caribbeans.

I moved here for graduate school, from NY. Many of my classmates moved here from other states (Midwest, Northeast, some Southern states), and these people are unbelievably rude and are only friendly with people from their neck of the woods, or, prefer to stick with people who look like them (hint hint).

It's the unfriendly, Hispanic NYer that does all the greeting and smiling, but only receives deadpan stares.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:18 PM

140 posts, read 504,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
tr00th-

I disagree with the first part. Central FL isn't much better. NW Florida is the only "friendly" part of Florida where people say hello to strangers in elevators and where drivers let you go instead of cutting you off. I lived in Tallahassee for college and experienced this first hand. It is like a different universe. You don't get that feel in Orlando or Tampa or even Jacksonville. The funny thing is, people in the South are overly nice to the point where it gets to be fake. It drove me nuts sometimes.

Everything else you said makes sense though. Overall, I wish people were friendlier here but like you said it stems from transplants moving from larger cities in the Northeast where people are street-wise. Now, South Fl has become a large city in itself where you have to be street-wise to survive. People are paranoid when a stranger approaches them. They think they want something from them. In many cases, their paranoid ways are warranted since we have a lot of scam artists and other types of riff-raff here.
...NW Florida...oh you mean the area where everyone is retired and rich...and they're happy...No kidding

Old 03-27-2013, 09:10 PM

367 posts, read 940,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmeyer View Post
Traffic sucks once you hit Boca going South

Old 08-24-2013, 12:09 PM

6 posts, read 8,394 times
I moved to Palm beach county from Broward 3 years ago and I can't wait to get back to Broward. Palm Beach has a lot more crime and a lot less to do. The PBSO is big business and a lot of times they abuse their power and violate citizens rights. The schools are the worst and you have to get on waiting list to get into a lot of the schools. Palm Beach school administrators have a very negative don't care attitude. Broward has a lot more choice of schools and you will have an easier time getting into them. Unlike Palm Beach Broward offers year round sports for kids and teenagers up to 17 years old. This is important if you have a child with ADHD or other disabilities.
Palm Beach has a lot more land and newer gated communities but very nosy neighbors and if your a minority and move into a gated community get ready to be stared at and treated like a 2nd class citizen. In Broward people are ruder but they mind their own business .

Old 08-26-2013, 08:28 PM

238 posts, read 575,981 times
How is West Palm Beach area, though....more friendly there? Are there a lot of nice areas? Good entertainment, nightlife, things to do? (as compared to the broward area)....

Old 08-27-2013, 07:35 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjddcr1 View Post
I moved to Palm beach county from Broward 3 years ago and I can't wait to get back to Broward. Palm Beach has a lot more crime and a lot less to do. The PBSO is big business and a lot of times they abuse their power and violate citizens rights. The schools are the worst and you have to get on waiting list to get into a lot of the schools. Palm Beach school administrators have a very negative don't care attitude. Broward has a lot more choice of schools and you will have an easier time getting into them. Unlike Palm Beach Broward offers year round sports for kids and teenagers up to 17 years old. This is important if you have a child with ADHD or other disabilities.
Palm Beach has a lot more land and newer gated communities but very nosy neighbors and if your a minority and move into a gated community get ready to be stared at and treated like a 2nd class citizen. In Broward people are ruder but they mind their own business .
Seriously? Is all I can say...

Old 08-30-2013, 09:34 AM

35 posts, read 63,991 times
Not is S Florida. Only thing good here is the weather. GHETTO & CRIME FRIENDLY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area