Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 08:35 PM

87 posts, read 642,958 times

Advertisements

What's the general attitude of Fort Wayne residents towards other races that are non Caucasion or African American? I plan on visiting FW to visit a friend, and several people have mentioned that the city is not as receptive and progressive as others - yet, this issue is kept behind close doors. Can anyone give me some insight. Oh, and BTW, I'm hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 10:27 PM

95 posts, read 456,116 times
Of course there are going to be racist retards here, they are everywhere.

But I wouldn't say there is so much hatred for hispanics or blacks that it's an actual PROBLEM the police would get into a lot.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:08 PM

54 posts, read 233,631 times
Default Hi, Sonic.

I don't want to sound discouraging, but FW definitely has some racial tension in the air. I'm from Tennessee and even I am surprised by what I see. Despite the fact that their are tons of interracial couples, it still is a little taboo. About people keeping it behind closed doors, this is true. People are not openly racist at all. They will rarely treat you any differently than any other race. But if you get to know someone on a friendship basis they will eventually let something slip. For example, my best friend of 6 years recently made a comment about having sex with a darkskinned African American as compared to a fair-skinned Afro-American. "Ugh, I don't want that black S**T going in me getting me dirty," was her reply. I never knew she harbored those feelings. Another time I was standing in a grocery store and a hispanic woman and a caucasian woman were talking about head-lice, and why the majority of cases occur with caucasians. The caucasian apparently had been trying to figure out why her kids kept bringing them home from school, and finally she said nonchalantly, "Ah well, I guess they just like clean hair." It was stereotypical but I sure she didn't even realize how offensive it sounded. You will also hear more stereotypical jokes about different races as you become on a friendlier more comfortable level with someone of a different race. But as far as racial name-calling, discrimination, etc. you will almost never experience it openly. Because as you heard, it is kept behind closed doors. But after mixing in different backgrounds here for so long, I definitely believe FW is one of the most racist northern states, more than where I'm from. Coming from one of the biggest slave states - Tennessee - that's pretty disturbing.

BUT that's just my opinion. To anyone who says I'm wrong, let's just agree to disagree.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:51 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,982,817 times
Default is FW racist?

Another view is needed. I've lived all over the country.. south to north and all up and down the east coast and now I'm in Fort Wayne Indiana. Fort Wayne is not among the most racist places I've lived at all and I've been here more years than just about everywhere else. I have anecdotal examples as the previous poster does except from all over the country of people expressing to me racist, sexist, and discriminatory statements - I haven't seen that any more here in FW than anywhere else I've been. Racism/Discrimination is a problem all over the U.S. right now. Not just Black vs White, but any ethnicity or belief system vs all others. There are people everywhere that either have intolerance or which are so unworldly that in their very small world of experience they have never considered some of the things their parents taught them completely wrong. FW has both, as does any other city or town in the U.S. .

Things are changing in FW as with the rest of the country - it is becoming more diverse. Would I discourage anyone from coming to FW because they are a minority, live an alternative lifestyle or follow a less than mainstream belief system?... heck no! This is a sleeper city - one which I would say is not too well known but remarkably has a whole lot going for it regardless of who you are. We have an excellent cost of living, moderate weather, low crime rate, great infrastructure, lots of businesses, lots of things to do any time of year, a great airport now with carriers going to a lot of places direct, a library system which is one of the best, a whole lot of friendly people and much much more.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:05 PM

I know you love Fort Wayne, but you don't have to exaggerate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Another view is needed. I've lived all over the country.. south to north and all up and down the east coast and now I'm in Fort Wayne Indiana. Fort Wayne is not among the most racist places I've lived at all and I've been here more years than just about everywhere else. I have anecdotal examples as the previous poster does except from all over the country of people expressing to me racist, sexist, and discriminatory statements - I haven't seen that any more here in FW than anywhere else I've been. Racism/Discrimination is a problem all over the U.S. right now. Not just Black vs White, but any ethnicity or belief system vs all others. There are people everywhere that either have intolerance or which are so unworldly that in their very small world of experience they have never considered some of the things their parents taught them completely wrong. FW has both, as does any other city or town in the U.S. .

Things are changing in FW as with the rest of the country - it is becoming more diverse. Would I discourage anyone from coming to FW because they are a minority, live an alternative lifestyle or follow a less than mainstream belief system?... heck no! This is a sleeper city - one which I would say is not too well known but remarkably has a whole lot going for it regardless of who you are. We have an excellent cost of living, moderate weather, low crime rate, great infrastructure, lots of businesses, lots of things to do any time of year, a great airport now with carriers going to a lot of places direct, a library system which is one of the best, a whole lot of friendly people and much much more.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:21 AM

155 posts, read 766,578 times
Unbreakable, your little snippets of life hardly define the majority of people who populate the city of Fort Wayne, thank God!

I think Mbuszu's post is more indicative of life in FW. I lived there until I graduated from high school and return yearly for visits. If it weren't so far from dh's work in the Gulf of Mexico, we might even consider moving back.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:56 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,701,633 times
Racist in Fort Wayne? No more than anywhere else. I have lived in 8 states, and there are idiots and bigots everywhere. I have only lived here a few months, but so far I don't see it as a big issue. This is a far better town than I expected. My wife is Spanish, as are her boys, and we feel very welcome here in Fort Wayne.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:15 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,982,817 times
Default no exaggerations about FW

Hey Unbreakable - I'm not exaggerating at all. Yes I do like FW, and I know you don't. You have plans to move out of Indiana via your other posts at this site. I'm not saying that your opinion may not be valid and should not be heard, but seriously (taking only info you've already shared publically)someone right out of school, a young single mother who is just looking to get out of FW to attend college elsewhere trying to de-value my post without facts to back things up is just silly. Perhaps it's just me, but don't you think providing context like this to your opinion might be helpful? If you don't like the place, then just leave. But posting your negativity about this town on these boards before you leave is a waste of energy and may discourage other adults from wanting to move to what I consider inarguably a great but generally unknown city (from having personally lived in and owned residences in several - believe me, if I thought this place sucked, I'd let you all know... I'm not a real estate agent, developer, nor a local politician).

Old 02-01-2007, 04:42 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,701,633 times
mbuszu- I agree. I have only lived here since November, so I have no loyalty for Fort Wayne yet, so I would tell people if I didn't like it. I would say for example"don't move here. This town blows". But so far, we like it. Is it the best place I have ever lived? Don't know yet, but probably not. BUT this town has a lot to offer.It all depends what one likes.

What I don't understand are people who complain, but never leave. Sure, FW has some things wrong about it. EVERY city does. But if you look, you can find good in anyplace.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Hey Unbreakable - I'm not exaggerating at all. Yes I do like FW, and I know you don't. You have plans to move out of Indiana via your other posts at this site. I'm not saying that your opinion may not be valid and should not be heard, but seriously (taking only info you've already shared publically)someone right out of school, a young single mother who is just looking to get out of FW to attend college elsewhere trying to de-value my post without facts to back things up is just silly. Perhaps it's just me, but don't you think providing context like this to your opinion might be helpful? If you don't like the place, then just leave. But posting your negativity about this town on these boards before you leave is a waste of energy and may discourage other adults from wanting to move to what I consider inarguably a great but generally unknown city (from having personally lived in and owned residences in several - believe me, if I thought this place sucked, I'd let you all know... I'm not a real estate agent, developer, nor a local politician).
First of all, what does me being young and a single mother have to do with anything? That was really off subject. But since you touched on it, me and my son's father have been together for 5 years. I'm moving to attend college, he won't be moving with me but back to Portugal while I finish, which is why I would be living as a single parent when I move and establish my career. You've obviously been following my posts, so you should have come across another I wrote in a different thread saying many positive aspects of and great living areas of Fort Wayne.
Second, people bringing up how many states they've lived in is really irrelevant. I've lived in 5 US states, and two foreign countries. And I will still say Fort Wayne has racial tension. My original post was in no way putting down Fort Wayne, I was giving examples of what I've experienced. If you would've read thoroughly, I also stated:

[quote=Unbreakable1;317013]I don't want to sound discouraging, but FW definitely has some racial tension in the air. I'm from Tennessee and even I am surprised by what I see. Despite the fact that their are tons of interracial couples, it still is a little taboo. About people keeping it behind closed doors, this is true. People are not openly racist at all. They will rarely treat you any differently than any other race. But if you get to know someone on a friendship basis they will eventually let something slip.[/QOUTE]

Also, I do have apologize about a typographical error. I wrote that "Fort Wayne is one of the most racist northern states." I meant to write "cities". But key words there regardless are "one of" and not "the". Obviously, the snooty comments, selective listening, and jumping to conclusions do nothing but illustrate the general attitude of some - if not most - of Fort Wayne's Hoosiers. That being said, for those who had a problem translating, that did not mean Fort Wayne is among the most racist cities, but one of the most racist in Northern states. The North and Midwest are already known for being extremely less racist than other states. So being one of the most racist cities in that area is really not a big slice of the "racist pie" that so many U.S. states contribute to.

You also asked why not just leave and basically keep my mouth shut if I have something negative to say about Fort Wayne. Mainly, because last time I checked, it's a free country and freedom of speech goes along with that. But since you took the time to follow my other posts, you should already know that I am leaving, in two weeks actually. So once again, another comment was irrelevant to the discussion. Oh, and by the way, talking about a negative aspect of any given place in no way means that I don't like it. So, as the "young and single" like to say ( I just made myself laugh), "Don't put words in my mouth".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne