Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Some people wear the same clothes because they have multiples of it.
One manager at my work does this. He has the same style and look everyday. Unfortunately even the other 'adult' managers razz him about this. Not very professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 02:26 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
why is someone so worried about what someone else wears to the gym ? we are so blessed in this country . Some people need a good dose of compassion and humility . Want a dose ?, go to india and africa and other countrys where they dont have enough to eat much less wear and they are 6 -8 ppl in a hut . we went on a missions trip years ago and my teens came back so humbled and learned they had it really good .So please remember some people cant afford to buy new clothes to wear to the gym all the time . Maybe you should be the one embarassed by wondering why they dont buy new clothes .
I'm really embarrassed about how posters everywhere on the internet try to shame and ridicule others hiding behind a screen, thinking they are not being bullies by their off hand comments.

It's funny how people like to make someone feel small for making up a topic.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:35 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The exception is polyester. Polyesters seem to hold onto body odor and it builds up. So those great poly cotton tees my husband likes are not work wear. And if you're doing some manual labor in the heat there's no deodorant/antiperspirant that works. You're going to sweat.
Even polyester/blend can be washed by soaking it in pine-sol or adding vinegar to the wash.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I would never wear an item only once and throw it out. That is being too wasteful. I still have clothes that are 10 years old, only worn a few times that still fit perfectly.

By old I mean for example when the dark navy blue shirt has become a baby blue color, or that neckline on that shirt has been stretched out to the max. Or there are small holes in your clothing.

I can tell by some of the comments my topic has touched a nerve of sorts.
I think the wording of the original thread has something to do with it. See there are three parts to it; gym clothes, normal clothes, clothes with holes in it. Seems you were asking three different things; do you wear the same thing to the gym all of the time; do you wear the same clothes all of the time; do you wear clothes with holes in them and are faded.

Posters here are probably responding to one part of your original post.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
If you ever saw me workout, you would see how much I sweat, which is a lot! Eventually that shirt will have an 'odor' after I've worn it a year, close to 50-60 times worn.

No, I don't need a lesson in laundry.
I assure you it can be washed just fine. Many people do this. For example, I wear my gi over 100 times a year for over two years now; it gets washed jsut fine to where there is no odor.

For my plain white t-shirts; they end up being rags because they eventually lose shape, but still no lingering odor after washing.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:48 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
My clothes are always clean and I dress casually because I work from home and live in the PNW where people just don't care about fashion. And although I could literally but any clothes I want, I absolutely hate clothes shopping; I've joked that I must have a defective X chromosome (or two) because I've just never been able to care about the latest styles. I can't imagine how many thousands of dollars I've saved over the decades by not buying a lot of clothes and shoes, but spent on traveling to far away places instead. Long after a dress starts to look dated, my trip photos and memories will still be with me. For many of us, it's just a matter of priorities.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:54 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I wear the same clothes a lot, especially jeans but also my workout outfit. I have 3 pairs of the same pants and 5 of the same shirt that I wear to work. It's mainly because I don't like clothes shopping and have a terrible time finding things I like that fit well.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I have clothes that I bought in Jr High (45 yrs ago) like 'Frostline Kits !!!'

I travel and work in SWEATY Asia out of a suitcase. I might have been seen in the same shirt more than once / week! (all shirts get washed out as SOON as I get in the door). I have worn some out from Washing, but Haven't noticed that they SMELL if washed out properly.

I supposed there is some OCD person watching me and tabulating which shirt I have worn, and when... I don't have that data.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I have never once had perspiration odor on clothing survive going through the wash.

Maybe I'm just naturally stink-free.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:20 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Obviously, if he is in the 1%, he CAN afford to wear different clothes.
And for all you know he might....

Why worry so much about how other people choose to dress?
I knew a 1%er guy who actually went out and bought 15 of the exact same khaki pants and 15 of the exact same black t-shirts because he was tired of wondering what to wear. He decided this was going to be his official "uniform" for life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Many people do this, including me. I wear a plain white Hanes t-shirt; I do not see why to wear anything different, it is the gym, not a fashion show. I think it is absurd to spend significant money on gym clothes. I have a few of them, I by a new pack every so foten when they get wore out.

I would find it more embarrasing to be out of shape and yet get all dressed up in a $50+ outfit. I see this all the time when out running, slow, chubby, out of shape people with some perectly matched running gear, complete with the belt that holds special sized water bottles. Or at the gym the guys wearing matching shoes-shirt outfits, yet cannot even put up a body weight bench.
This is probably about feeling self-conscious and wanting to minimize that. It sucks to be overweight and in a gym full of fit folk, feeling like all eyes are on you in a judgmental way. Same with running/walking, people will yell and say really rude things from their cars. Someone in that situation might not want to draw even more negative attention by wearing the ratty sort of workout clothes that those who are more fit can 'get away with'. Think about it. Also, someone who is "slow, chubby", has to start somewhere. They aren't going to be as fast as someone who is naturally thin or who runs all the time. I'm just saying.. it sucks to be overweight, judged if you aren't physical then judged or made fun of when you try and remedy it.

Quote:
If you ever saw me workout, you would see how much I sweat, which is a lot! Eventually that shirt will have an 'odor' after I've worn it a year, close to 50-60 times worn.

No, I don't need a lesson in laundry.
Sorry, but you must be doing something wrong; overloading the machine, not enough soap.. something. Sweat does not "linger" when the item is washed properly, even if it's been worn a year. I grew up in a blue collar household, lots of family members with dirty grimy sweaty uniforms, worn every day and often out in the Texas heat. They still didn't ever develop a lingering odor. Try a vinegar rinse.

As for the original question.. I like clothing, but I buy everything at thrift shops so even if I have quite a bit, I didn't spend much at all on it. I do have a favorite pair of pants that I wear more often than other things, washed in between wearings, of course. They are comfy and go with everything so why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living