Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 06:24 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times

Advertisements

I don't personally know anyone who cares less about how they look and what they wear than me. I wear my hair in a wash and go style, and wear the same clothes over and over again. I'll go bra-less, wear white socks with slacks, and wear easy-comfort slip on walking style shoes.

I work three weekdays a week -- and both weekend days (no management, skeleton staff, I don't work with the public, and there's no chance of advancement, etc). For the weekdays I look more decent than on the weekends, but other than that, there's no needs to 'dress up or even look decent-- other than the most basic casual attire. (Some people wear jeans during the day, I don't. People who work overnight and weekends wear jeans, shorts, and T-shirts.)

For the 3 weekdays, I've worn the same three outfits for well over a year. Solid tops and pants that are interchangeable. Whatever top I pull out of the dryer, can go with whatever pair of pants I pull out first. It takes no time 'figuring out" what I'm going to wear, what will go with what.

For the two weekend days -- I wear the same two pairs of pants every weekend -- but given my extensive T-Shirt collection, rotate through them. The shirt is usually wrinkled due to being in a laundry basket.

I once read (in an anti-clutter book) that most people wear only about 10% of their wardrobe (so the book said if you're honest about what you wear and don't wear -- you could likely get rid of almost all the rest and not miss them.)

For my entire adult life I've loved looking at nice clothes -- but I've never really liked to WEAR them. I've always had clothes in my closet that I've given away with the tags still on them. Over the last 20 years (since reading that book) I've really made an effort to be honest about how little I need to buy. Whether clothes/shoes/pocketbooks, or thotchkas for the house I have things I know I'll never use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 03:37 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,874,369 times
I just finished reading a book about how the French live elegantly with much less "stuff" than typical Americans. It is not unusual to see the French wear the same well-made clothes very frequently. Apparently, according to the book, the French are keen on high quality items and are more adept at understanding what accentuates their body type much more than Americans. I won't argue whether the writer is accurate or not in her assessment, but I will note that when we entertained French foreign exchange students, I did notice their proclivity to wearing the same clothes frequently. I just thought it was a matter of not being able to bring more along with them. I liked the idea in the book so much that I have really pared down my clothing, focusing on what fits well and meets my needs for both work and a highly varied and active leisure life. I still have more than I need but I shop a LOT less than I used to and have learned the fine art of shopping well and mixing quality items for fresh looks. So the OP has a point with the original post.... cultural differences may impact individual dress as well and as long as one is clean and appropriate (no butt-cracks or extreme cleavage please), no one, including employers, should have an issue.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:06 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
I just finished reading a book about how the French live elegantly with much less "stuff" than typical Americans. It is not unusual to see the French wear the same well-made clothes very frequently. Apparently, according to the book, the French are keen on high quality items and are more adept at understanding what accentuates their body type much more than Americans. I won't argue whether the writer is accurate or not in her assessment, but I will note that when we entertained French foreign exchange students, I did notice their proclivity to wearing the same clothes frequently. I just thought it was a matter of not being able to bring more along with them. I liked the idea in the book so much that I have really pared down my clothing, focusing on what fits well and meets my needs for both work and a highly varied and active leisure life. I still have more than I need but I shop a LOT less than I used to and have learned the fine art of shopping well and mixing quality items for fresh looks. So the OP has a point with the original post.... cultural differences may impact individual dress as well and as long as one is clean and appropriate (no butt-cracks or extreme cleavage please), no one, including employers, should have an issue.
That is an interesting observation. A close male French friend of our daughter has visited our home several times. He always seems so stylish and well dressed compared to the other mid 20 year olds that we know. His clothes were always expensive looking and it didn't matter if he wore them multiple times as he always looked great.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Well, I think I am going to be the odd woman out here. I like to look nice, but I don't work anymore, so I don't need an extensive work wardrobe. I have dress casual stuff and casual casual stuff and then the really casual or work out clothes. I like good jewelry, but don't have a lot of it. Even with my limited selection I don't have many chances to wear the good stuff, but when I do, I get a bang out of it.

I have trouble finding things that fit, so when I find something, I almost always buy it. Right now I rely heavily on Lands End, especially their knits. I l like to wear favored colors, and I don't like a lot of black. I don't consider myself fashionable, but I like to have a variety of things to choose from each season, and I like to look nice.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:04 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
I must be really bad - I wear pajamas every single day. All day. I have more than a week's worth, so I change daily.

I do get dressed when I go out... I throw on a pair of jeans and a shirt, white ankle socks and men's velcro sneakers.

I own two pairs of jeans and a ton of shirts, but I have my favorites that I wear more often. I've already gotten rid of what I never wore.

For shoes, I have my sneakers, flip flops, and my winter boots (that I try so hard not to need to even use them) and I'm okay with this.
As long as I have socks and slippers for every day wear I am happy.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:40 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
I'm with you Tulani.

Now, I can't say I never buy clothes I don't need.

For example I have DOZENS of Tshirts. Yet I just bought 20 more. Most were also souveniers from trips. That's what I 'll get as my memento of the trip. So yes, I'm buying 'clothes I don't need.' But it's also more than just that -- it's my reminder of that family reunion or trip to a state park or wherever.

Since I'm also some what of an impulse buyer....I limit how much 'window' shopping I do. I used to look through a catalog just to enjoy seeing what's out there. Or every once in a while I'll go with a friend to Ross or TJ Maxx or where ever who's shopping for something when I wasn't even thinking about going out. So of course while they're looking at clothes, I go over to the pocketbooks or housewares area...."to see that they have." THAT is the kind of thing I try to talk myself out of.

I figure if I weren't in this store, weren't out with xyz friend...I wouldn't have known this thing even existed -- I wasn't thinking about a new ANYTHING so I need to leave it....so it can bless someone else. I'm getting MUCH better at NOT buying something I wasn't even thinking about about and don't need.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:45 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
"But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that." 1 Timothy 6.8. It doesn't say you need a closet full.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:54 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
I wore the same pair of jeans almost everyday for over a year until there was a hole, and usually washed every 4 days. Then I have a rotation of about 5 shirts.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:21 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times
I agree with jlawrence101 and I am a female. Why do you have to be looking so darn fancy at a gym where you are going to be sweating? Who cares what you are wearing. The goal of going to the gym is to work out and try to be healthy not to look pretty or fashionable. I for one repeat my gym clothing although they are clean. I also have duplicate outfits as an older friend once told me, "If you find something that you like and it fits well, make sure you buy more than one."

Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
I am living here in Europe for the time being. I was told that the europeans do not buy alot of clothes, but what they do have they take great care of. Well in the past year I have been here, I've paid special attention to that suggestion. What I have found is they are crazy over clothes, shoes, makeup etc., they are dressed to the nines and I rarely see them wearing the same thing over and over! I bet they spend every spare dollar on clothing. So folks, I'm thinking what we've heard is a myth. Clothing over this way is not cheaply priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living