Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 08:19 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times

Advertisements

I tell myself no one notices what I wear, but from the above post #103 people do notice. OHOH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 10:41 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
I have been wearing the same camo pants and chucks since high school 11 years ago.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 07-31-2013, 12:57 PM

42 posts, read 102,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
If I were in the 1%, I would likely dress the same way. I could afford to buy expensive clothes, but for what? Clothes and shoes don't matter to me. Shoes - I spend $80 to $100 on Chaco sandals - but they last for several years. I always have a good pair of athletic shoes that I pay less than $100 for, often much less than $100 - but I won't buy no-name athletic shoes because I want proper support and shoes that don't hurt my feet. My dress shoes are comfortable, bendable, not too expensive flats that I have collected over the years in different colors so I have a pair to go with just about anything. Most of them I have paid $30 to $50 a pair for and have had for several years.

I also care nothing about jewelry and rarely wear any; not even a wedding band. Just not that important to me.

Yes on Chacos! I have three pair. I had pair one only from 1998-2002. I had packaged them up for resolving when I discovered that aside from snow boots, I didn't have another pair of shoes, so I took them out of the packaging, drove into town and got pair #2.
In 2007, I got pair three half price.
I have only one in use at a time. Right now, I'm using #3.

Pair one is black, and if I need to dress for a meeting, I wear black tights. They blend in enough.

I did a cost per wear, and they average less than a tenth of a cent per wear, including new soles (four times so far between all of them) , one set of new straps for pair one, and the shipping/handling for the repairs.

The in use pair gets washed weekly.

I do have work shoes, slip on (or more accurately, slip off) flats for massage work. I work barefoot, but have to be shod leaving the treatment rooms.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:14 PM

302 posts, read 499,683 times
I finally had to throw out a pair of short that I've had for the last 10 years. Got 2 more about to go. With my long pants, I've had them for about 12 years. My tops get replaced more often.

Now, for someone who really takes the cake? My MIL has 3 closets filled with clothing depending on where her weight is. these clothes date back to the 1950's when her mother made them. I have had to replace seams in every single one of them as she's busting them out all over, but refuses to buy anything new. For my wedding, she wore a dress that she wore when she was pregnant with hubby back in 1957.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:50 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Sure, doesnt everyone do this? I have the same clothes but rotate the shirts. Slacks are always jeans. I have a ton of t-shirts so more variety there....

Old 09-02-2013, 10:54 AM

6 posts, read 11,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Are you the type to wear the same clothes over and over until there is holes before you replace them?
I do, but not by choice. I have only very few clothes. I never had much, two bags worth of stuff as I left my parent's home four years ago, most of it already quite worn. But it was okay for me back then, I was never a fashionista. Since then I couldn't afford to spend money for clothes. In the last years most of my stuff literally fell apart. Right now I own a threadbare jeans, two faded tshirts and a hoodie jacket I got the last year at highschool. I lost my last job three months ago. Since then I live from food stamps and collecting bottles and cans. If I dont't find a job soon, I will be kicked out of my appartment. Im behind with the rent for months. I would like to have at least one outfit of decent clothes, but I don't. Right now even thrift stores are too expensive. I am worried about the condition of my stuff. And it makes me sick that I have nothing appropiate to wear for an interview.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:06 AM

654 posts, read 945,148 times
As long as you don't smell or expose yourself due to rips/holes, who cares if you wear the same clothes year after year? I've purchased quality clothing at thrift and discount stores years ago that I still wear. If the garments are still in good shape, why discard or replace them? In my opinion, society has become far too superficial, placing too much emphasis on what people choose to wear.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:57 PM

6 posts, read 11,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
As long as you don't smell or expose yourself due to rips/holes, who cares if you wear the same clothes year after year? I've purchased quality clothing at thrift and discount stores years ago that I still wear. If the garments are still in good shape, why discard or replace them? In my opinion, society has become far too superficial, placing too much emphasis on what people choose to wear.
I try to keep my clothes as clean as possible. I wash by hand in the sink, every evening a shirt and undies for the next day. The jeans only when they are dirty, they need more time to dry. I can't buy detergent at the moment, I use soap. The jeans are threadbare and ripped in many places. I take care not to dirty them and not to rip them more, avoid squatting and so on.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:37 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
I had a teacher for Texas history in the 7th grade that wore the same 5 shirts each week. They were striped shirts... red stripes, yellow stripes, green stripes, brown stripes and blue stripes. I don't remember anything about Texas, but I remember those shirts!

Old 09-04-2013, 03:21 AM

68 posts, read 79,189 times
I have plenty of clothes, but I wear only a small part of them on a daily basis. Fortunately I work in a company without any dresscode (small IT company), so I can dress casual. Most of the time I just wear t-shirt, jeans and imitated canvas vans. Only when customers are visiting or when I have a meeting with customers I dress up a little (button-down shirt, black jeans, dress shoes or alike). Today for example I wear a t-shirt, my favourite worn jeans and flipflops.

Most of my t-shirts are either grey or black (I have about 10 each), so one could get the impression I have only 2. I have a few white t-shirts and polo-shirts but I wear them very rarely.

My closet is full of stuff I never wear. Most of it is more than 15 years old, things I wore in highschool for example. Lumberjack shirts, woolen pullovers, turtleneck shirts and so on. I will clear them out when I have a bit time to spare, donate that what is in good condition and throw away the rest. It just clutters my storing space.

I really like to dress casual and wear comfortable clothes. I couldn't image working somewhere where I would have to wear a suit every day.

--
~skywalker~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living