Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 04:44 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
This is due to the high numbers of shoppers who can afford to shop at regular stores. Goodwill is making a killing off of this new clientele. I remember just a few years ago Goodwill was the place to go for tightwads like me. Now, I go elsewhere. There are others out there!
People can find new clothing at stores like Ross and TJ Maxx for the same price as they would pay for used, torn, stained clothing at Goodwill. I can't imagine why anyone shops at Goodwill unless they have never done any price comparisons at all. I once saw a badly worn out backpack for $25 at Goodwill, the name was written on it in black ink. The same backpack was sold at TJ Maxx for $10. Brand new. Similar backpacks at Wal Mart for around $10 - $15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 09:51 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times
I have always shopped at thrift stores out of necessity. I have never made a high income, and raised two kids as a single parent. I can in no way afford the prices they want at department stores for clothing and household items.

That being said, I don't even go into the Goodwills anymore in our area. It now seems that they have just become one big outlet store for Target cast-off crap. Rack after rack of Target stuff that didn't sell in Target, cheaply made, and not any real bargains. I used to look for older things because they tend to be better made, but apparently the Goodwills "sift" all of the good stuff out of the donations and send it to their online auction. While that's all well and good, they have the right to make as much profit as possible, when they no longer have many shoppers in their retail stores, maybe they will "get it". I no longer donate to them either. I made a donation of costume jewelry and a bunch of cook books, and then noticed they didn't seem to have any more donated jewelry in their cases (again, a bunch of broken and cheap Target unsold jewelry) and the cashier said they send any an all costume jewelry immediately to "headquarters". Really?

I take all my donations to the mission and church run thrifts, and we have a really good Salvation Army that still has great discount days (for now anyway).

Old 03-08-2018, 08:13 PM

155 posts, read 179,101 times
I dislike thrift stores. I can find clothes on the clearance rack of just about any store cheaper then my local goodwill. I got my son an athletic material shirt, athletic pants, and a pack of underwear at Walmart for all under $10. I refuse to buy things second hand. I can always find things cheaper buying it new.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:28 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf33078 View Post
I dislike thrift stores. I can find clothes on the clearance rack of just about any store cheaper then my local goodwill. I got my son an athletic material shirt, athletic pants, and a pack of underwear at Walmart for all under $10. I refuse to buy things second hand. I can always find things cheaper buying it new.
There is are a few thrift stores in my area that have 25 cent days and a lot of the clothing is in like new condition, sure there are some ripped/torn/ dirty clothing mixed in, but it's still less than buying new.

Goodwill is expensive.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:36 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,046,770 times
I can't think of the last time I saw clothing in poor condition in a thrift store. It's not worth their time to price it and hang it. I suspect it goes right in recycling.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:57 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf33078 View Post
Goodwill: I'm finding Under Armour, Nike, Brooks, New Balance running gear (shirts mostly) that appear unworn. They normally go for $40 at sports stores.....they really look unworn, new.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:33 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Goodwill: I'm finding Under Armour, Nike, Brooks, New Balance running gear (shirts mostly) that appear unworn. They normally go for $40 at sports stores.....they really look unworn, new.
Most thrifts have gotten so expensive that I would rather go to Marshalls or TJ Maxx but just recently my husband found a North Face jacket for $12 in the local Goodwill. Fits him like a glove and was like new. He did pay to get it dry cleaned (not that it was dirty) but still, this style is selling new for about $80.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:23 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
I don't think they're getting more expensive, but they are getting pretty lame. I seldom find anything I can use anymore.

I did pick up a Panasonic stereo with a turntable over the weekend for $7.88, though. I didn't think that was bad.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:38 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times
I regularly shop at a local thrift chain called "ARC Thrift." I think that they are only in Colorado.
They are a bit more expensive than they were five years ago, but not so much that I would stop patronizing them.

They have a great selection, it's easy to find good quality items and every Saturday lots of stuff is 50% off.

I regularly pick up brand name clothing from Lands End, Eddie Bauer, Coldwater Creek, Chico's... for a couple of dollars (or less) a piece.
Can't do that at Ross or Marshall's and I love shopping there too.

Old 03-30-2018, 10:41 PM

371 posts, read 287,728 times
As a Supportive Living Supervisor for adults transitioning out of the Mental Hospitals, at times I'll pick up a few clients to go shopping.

We used to shop all 5 thrift stores but a few got so expensive so we're down to 3

While shopping, I find items for my ebay store.

Slowly decreasing profits due to increasing prices can be discouraging

I pull in about $300 mo. in profit.

It was closer to $400-$500 for the longest time

Last edited by ItIsWritten.; 03-30-2018 at 11:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living