Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:02 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,610 times

Advertisements

I have noticed a definite increase in all prices at the thrift's in my area. I have found myself watching the sale charts much more closely than before because many items are priced beyond what I am willing to pay for something used. Most of the stores in my area have sales based on how long the item has been on the rack. This is shown by the color of the price tag. I have figured out the system and try to watch if it is an item I really want, I will check the store several times a week to try to get it aqt the sale price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 09:07 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Agree with this. Thrift and Consignment. Not as cheap as they used to be.

There is a sort of hipster lifestyle thing re thrift stores and ones that are favored (or cater to) this market will mark things up...and also market the used stuff as 'vintage'...sort of that hipster/ironic tast for things like hawaiin shirts, etc....

Old 08-07-2013, 12:32 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
The last time I was in a thrift shop I saw prices that were higher than Walmart price for the same thing. When I asked about it I was told it was for charity, "have a blessed day."

Old 08-07-2013, 01:40 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,536 times
I stopped shopping at thrift stores and now just shop the clearance racks at the regular dept. stores. If I am careful I end up spending just a little bit more for new than used.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:06 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,195 times
We only have St Vinnies here. The prices there are great.

I get notices from them (email) to let me know of special sales and half price days.

There use to be a small thrift shop just across the fence from my next door neighbor's house. The owner sold it a few years back.
I got to know the owner, Pat, very well. I was always in there buying books and looking for bargains.
I told Pat I was looking for a long bathrobe (something I didn't really need in Phoenix,AZ) and she watched for one. One day she called me and asked me to come out to the fence. She was holding a light blue long bathrobe and asked me if I wanted it... for free! It had a tiny, tiny hole about 6 inches down from the neck, and she could not sell it for that reason. I sewed it closed in seconds.
Pat knew that I love to make baby clothes and would give me bags and bags (those heavy black bags) filled with unsellable clothes and bedding. (I still have bags and bags left. )
Since she was well known in town, I asked her one Christmas if she knew where we could rent or borrow a Santa Claus suit because my son was going to play Santa at the Community Kitchen. Pat asked around and found nothing.
So, what did this kind lady do? She went out and bought me yards of the most soft and beautiful plush red material and yards of white fake fur so that I could make a suit - which I did, without a pattern. It hangs in my closet and comes out during the holidays... I am hoping it gets some use again one of these days. I refuse to part with it.

I miss Pat and her store because it was right here next door and I could walk there in one minute flat. I could buy furniture from her (and did) because it was not a long hike home with it.

St Vinnies is the best we have now and I really like the store. They have a large furniture section and a large craft section.

I just remembered a shopping trip to a GW in Phoenix... or Glendale. (I babysat so always checked out kids toys.) One day we saw one of those pink strollers for dolls "on sale" for $5.00! It was missing a wheel. I remember it well because we had just come from the grocery store where they were selling them brand-new for $4.99.
I think after that I was very careful about what I bought at that GW.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:39 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,451 times
OMG YES. I was at a Salvation Army just yesterday and picked up a cookbook thinking hmmm this looks interesting, prob would pay a dollar or two for it (like is normal in a thrift store)...NOPE. $4.99!!! I actually laughed.

I also blame Macklemore lol.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:01 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I TRIED to go to a Salvation Army today (I don't usually go out that way and/or don't have time) - but there wasn't a spot to be found to park anywhere!! Guess they were giving something away? LOL - last I was in there I was disappointed (they used to have more housewares/collectibles) - then they shrunk that area and focused more on clothes and I just didn't have the patience, most stuff was really old and worn

I understand on one hand folks that want to make a buck and resell but I mostly feel like thrift stores should be for people who NEED the items for themselves and their families (which is why I donate in the first place), I mostly am unhappy about the resellers complaining and believe that's why such stores have raised their prices.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:47 PM

8 posts, read 11,390 times
Some of the prices are indeed high, especially considering the items are donated (i.e. free). As a consolation I do find that they are open to negotiation. I often get items for less than the posted price by simply offering a lower price. It occasionally helps to also point out flaws in the item. It doesn't always work but it's at least an option.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:17 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
We only have St Vinnies here. The prices there are great.
<snip>

I miss Pat and her store because it was right here next door and I could walk there in one minute flat. I could buy furniture from her (and did) because it was not a long hike home with it.
Sounds like my dream, to live that close to a friendly and fair thrift store!
Quote:
St Vinnies is the best we have now and I really like the store. They have a large furniture section and a large craft section.
That's becoming a rarity lately. I don't understand what GW and some of the others are doing with all their donated craft stuff!? I know they get it. They used to sell it. Lately I can't find anything though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
<snip>

I understand on one hand folks that want to make a buck and resell but I mostly feel like thrift stores should be for people who NEED the items for themselves and their families (which is why I donate in the first place), I mostly am unhappy about the resellers complaining and believe that's why such stores have raised their prices.
I am a reseller, and I also shop the thrifts for my family's needs. I don't complain about prices (not to the stores, I grumble at home or on here or whatever). As far as resellers go though, I don't see what difference it should make and why people have this attitude.

I buy something from GW or SA, etc., they get money to use for whatever good deeds they do. I, in turn, sell it for a profit. After I inspect it/clean it/repair it/photograph it/market it, of course, which the thrift store doesn't have to do to at same level (and in many cases, they don't even look twice at the stuff -- can't tell you how much clothing I find with huge holes, crusty food stuck on, etc). Someone else out there on the internet gets the item for a much lower price than retail and doesn't have to go out "hunting" for it, clean it up, repair it, etc. I get to do something I love and have an income at the same time. Win-win-win.

Plus, it's the ultimate in recycling.

I, as the reseller, and as a mom and as a full time student, am still using the donations to help my family, just indirectly. Better than a regular job though because this one can be done at 2 am and can be increased or decreased as my financial needs change or my schedule changes. I can ramp it up a bit when I need more money for bills or my kids school supplies, I can back off when I have a particularly intense time at school (mid-terms, finals, special projects).

Many (most?) re-sellers are no different from the countless other small business owners that people are always encouraging supporting. People always have a fondness for the 'mom & pop' store but resentment for the re-seller who is working hard at their business to provide for their family. I don't get it.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:44 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
I bought a ladder at a flea market -- it looked good enough, had a bunch of paint splatter on it, had been obviously used.

Then I saw the same ladder new at a store for the same price I had paid for it at the flea market. Same thing when they were selling the older televisions when the lcds came out --- the flea markets and second hand stores were selling them for more than the stores were. Buyer beware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living