Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 AM

340 posts, read 523,591 times

Advertisements

Definitely... even if it is only incrementally. My dollar absolutely does not go as far as it used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 04:41 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
What?????????? Shoplifting in any store is wrong....there are no moral levels to stealing!
Totally agree -- and I said that, too, but when you shoplift from a thrift store, you're only hurting people who are already hurting, so it just seems more wrong to shoplift at a thrift store. If you go in degrees of wrong.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:47 AM

654 posts, read 944,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriwriter View Post
I only recently started shopping at thrift stores, but it seems like the prices are somewhat expensive. The main thing I've been shopping for are pairs of jeans. I shop at a local thrift store and they do have a lot of brand name jeans that typically are priced $6-7, some a little more if it's an expensive brand. I thought it was a little much, but better than buying brand new for $30-$50 and they were in good condition. I noticed the furniture here was very overpriced. $275 for a little breakfast table and chairs that probably didn't cost that much new.

Today I went to Goodwill and the same type of jeans there were going for $10-12. Definitely pricey to me. I did take a look at their furniture and it was a little cheaper, but not by much.

Do you notice this at your local thrift stores or Goodwill?
Yes, some "chain" thrift stores are getting more expensive, sadly. Designer brand items are the first prices to rise. So, what's the solution to that? Either you can buy no-name brands and be just as happy with those, or shop at different thrift stores where prices are more reasonable. Also, at these thrift stores such as Goodwill or Salvation Army or St. Vincent de Paul Society, the prices of their vintage and antique items have gone through the roof. I purchase and re-sell items for a profit. As of late, that's getting more and more difficult to do!

Old 09-02-2013, 09:04 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
Yes, some "chain" thrift stores are getting more expensive, sadly. Designer brand items are the first prices to rise. So, what's the solution to that? Either you can buy no-name brands and be just as happy with those, or shop at different thrift stores where prices are more reasonable. Also, at these thrift stores such as Goodwill or Salvation Army or St. Vincent de Paul Society, the prices of their vintage and antique items have gone through the roof. I purchase and re-sell items for a profit. As of late, that's getting more and more difficult to do!
Two possible reasons: The managers/sorters are becoming more savvy, or
People are going around bragging about how cheaply they bought their
vintage and antique items.

Prices are rising everywhere. The cost of payroll for the clerks, sorters, truck drivers has risen. The cost of the trucks that pick up your donated items and the gas and maintenance on same has risen. The rent on the stores, and the utilities, have all gone up in price. Just because the items are donated doesn't mean that there aren't costs involved with getting it from the donors to the store.

I used to be an unstoppable thrift store shopper, but as I age, I find I don't need as many things as I once did. Matter of fact, I should go through the house and start a pile to donate. Or maybe put it on eBay and make a few dollars.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:13 AM

654 posts, read 944,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Two possible reasons: The managers/sorters are becoming more savvy, or
People are going around bragging about how cheaply they bought their
vintage and antique items.

Prices are rising everywhere. The cost of payroll for the clerks, sorters, truck drivers has risen. The cost of the trucks that pick up your donated items and the gas and maintenance on same has risen. The rent on the stores, and the utilities, have all gone up in price. Just because the items are donated doesn't mean that there aren't costs involved with getting it from the donors to the store.

I used to be an unstoppable thrift store shopper, but as I age, I find I don't need as many things as I once did. Matter of fact, I should go through the house and start a pile to donate. Or maybe put it on eBay and make a few dollars.
Well, the problem is, the prices of vintage and antique items in many thrift stores have risen much, much more rapidly than the prices of anything else they carry. It's a shame. But you're right, I think the managers are getting more savvy; I think they're realizing that a lot of collectors and re-sellers are out there hunting.

Unfortunately, most managers at thrift stores aren't open to bargaining. It's not like at yard sales, estate sales, or even many antique stores/malls. Most thrift store prices are set in stone. They only reduce on certain sale days.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:23 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,075 times
I've got to agree that thrift store prices are going higher ~ a lot seems to be whichever volunteer happens to be marking but some are pretty set in stone. I use stuff I find in thrift stores for my hobby~ as well as some stuff from dollar store. Sometimes get a little upset when I see stuff in thrift stores exactly like I bought in dollar store marked $2.99. Or when two identical items on the shelf with one marked $2 and the other marked $6. Happens more times than you would expect.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:49 AM

6 posts, read 11,233 times
Yes. I can't afford to buy there. Was looking for clothes a few times. Too expensive for me.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:16 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoria89 View Post
Yes. I can't afford to buy there. Was looking for clothes a few times. Too expensive for me.
I know how you feel when you have little clothes and what you have is getting threadbare.

Since you are online, why not do a search for places in your community that offer free clothes. Our local St Vincent De Paul's offers a couple of free outfits.

We are lucky in our little community... we have a Community Kitchen (2 minute walk from my back door) that offers free lunch 5 days a week, free produce, bread and dairy 3 times a week and a free clothes closet that we can visit once a month. Not only can we get clothes, shoes, jackets, purses, backpacks, etc., but we also can get bedding and hygiene items. (I donate a ton of hygiene items that I purchase cheap or get for free. I also make personal care packages for them to give out for Christmas gifts.)

The clothes closet is something any community can set up. All items are donated and washed before being put out for display.

It's also worth it to check out freecycle and craigslist in your area. I've never gotten clothes from either, but have seen them offered numerous times.

Our St Vinnie's thrift shop still has some terrific prices. Clothes are all about 2 bucks. (I never really look at clothes since I can get all I want for free.) I love the prices on craft items and always hit them up on half price days. I get email notices of the sale days.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:59 PM

6 posts, read 11,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I know how you feel when you have little clothes and what you have is getting threadbare.

Since you are online, why not do a search for places in your community that offer free clothes. Our local St Vincent De Paul's offers a couple of free outfits.
Getting clothes for free would be so nice. But there is nothing like that in my area nearby. But I will look for it. I can't pay for public transport at the moment so I have to walk everywhere. Which sucks because of my shoes. They were so comfortable in the past and lasting for years, but now it's hard to keep them on my feet.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:34 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Shoplifting at a thrift store seems way more wrong than shoplifting at a retail store.
This makes no sense. From a moral perspective, they are both equally horrible. From a criminal and civil perspective, stealing from a retail store is typically worse as you steal items of higher value and that results in higher punishable crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living