Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 12:36 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,523 times

Advertisements

It really depends on the store. I've been thrifting a lot recently. I'm a small size (31-32/30 in pants, Smalls in shirts), so often there isn't a huge selection. The good news is that there is often a few quality things in good condition (probably because the original owner gained weight).

I've picked up a few pairs of wool dress pants for $4-5 each that would be a lot higher quality than the one's I'd buy for $20-25 at Kohls. I've also picked up a few cheap sport jackets for $5-6 each that are great for nights out--if something spills on it, I lose it etc I'm not out a hundred + on my good ones.

Shoes I've found to be a complete miss. I've picked up 3 pairs over the years of dress shoes from Salvation Army / Goodwill. Two were almost brand new (you could tell by the lack of crease in the forefoot and the sole), the other had a little wear on them, but were in great overall condition. Cleaned them up, polished them and they look great. Not bad for $6-10 each (and two of them have lasted for 3 years and counting)

But that was the only shoes I've found worth keeping. Most of the stuff is crap quality to begin with (think your sub $75 shoes to start with) and had major scratches, cracking or tears. I long to find a pair of Allen Edmonds or Aldens' that just need to be resoled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 12:51 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,020,721 times
I agree -- it depends on the store.
At some I've noticed an uptick in prices. In others I think the deals are still very good.

I think there's pricing pressure from both the up -- and down side.

The Dollar Store is carrying a LOT more things. Not the best QUALITY obviously but if I can get kitchen ware, plastic ware, housewares, towels, gifts, picture frames etc for a dollar -- and that store is closer why go to a thrift shop. Also you never know if the thrift shop will have what you're looking for -- so you have to be willing to 'look' for it. Then you have Walmart wear you can get housewares and clothes fairly cheaply.

On the other end, a thrifts shop's overhead rent, salaries etc, aren't getting any lower.

Costs are going up for ALL OF US.....
Actually I've seen WALMART prices higher. Their clothes prices are definitely higher. Not that this is expensive my any means but the cheapest pants I saw there recently were 16.00. You used to be able to find stuff for 10-12.00 regular price -- 8.00 on sale. Their housewares prices have risen a bit as well. It was actually noticeable.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:27 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I agree -- it depends on the store.
At some I've noticed an uptick in prices. In others I think the deals are still very good.

I think there's pricing pressure from both the up -- and down side.

The Dollar Store is carrying a LOT more things. Not the best QUALITY obviously but if I can get kitchen ware, plastic ware, housewares, towels, gifts, picture frames etc for a dollar -- and that store is closer why go to a thrift shop.
Dollar tree is the bomb.

Thats how I picked up all of my flatware and 4xbowls / 4xplates. All for $12 out the door. Same with wine glasses. Thrift store wanted at least $2/each.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:48 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This makes no sense. From a moral perspective, they are both equally horrible. From a criminal and civil perspective, stealing from a retail store is typically worse as you steal items of higher value and that results in higher punishable crimes.
But when you steal at a thrift store, you are stealing from people who serve people who are just like you. Poor and downtrodden, and in need of a helping hand.

And yes -- stealing is wrong. Very very wrong. But like in everything -- there are shades of wrong. And stealing from a thrift store seems way more like biting the hand that feeds you wrong.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:59 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,448,225 times
I was also surprised going to a Goodwill recently . I also thought prices weren't much less than tjmaxx , Ross , etc .

The same items at yard sales people seem to want to pay a fraction of Goodwill prices .

Old 09-10-2013, 06:34 PM

5 posts, read 6,371 times
Yes. The prices are almost similar to new but with no brand ones. Maybe they are adding the sentimental value to the price. LOL

On a more serious note, this economy is not giving us much of a choice. I think there should also be a regulation of prices in these thrift shops to further improve everyone’s experience when buying.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,800 times
This has been going on a long time. My mom and I noticed it in the late 90s and it's only getting worse. The thing that annoys me is if they want to charge almost retail or antique store prices then I expect the store to reflect that in cleanliness and organization. I don't want to pay stratospheric prices only to need showered and bleached after I leave.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:46 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
What?????????? Shoplifting in any store is wrong....there are no moral levels to stealing!
Shoplifting is wrong everywhere, but the people who steal from thrift stores and the poor box at the church carry lowlife scumminess to an even lower than normal low level. They are the dregs of the dregs.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:06 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
There are two very nice clothing consignment shops in my town. One is slightly more expensive than the other, but, appearance-wise, both shops are similar to a retail store. Nothing shabby about either. The one I favor has a dollar rack and I've bought gobs of items off of it. Some to give away and some for specific people including myself. Sometimes I wonder if I'm wearing something someone at the country club recognizes. lol I don't belong to the cc, but, I do belong to a bridge club that plays there. I never try anything on until I'm home. If it doesn't fit, it gets donated, since there are no returns.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:08 PM

6,575 posts, read 4,966,508 times
Goodwill went way up in my area January 2013. Last summer I bought 2 prs of shorts for $8 each. Which doesn't sound like much but they were very worn: one pair had a patch ironed on the inside of the leg where they had caught it on something, the other had a rip in the bottom of one of the cargo pockets. I think in 2012 I could've bought them for no more than $5. I bought them anyway, because they were perfect for a trip and its really hard to find women's shorts with so many pockets.

I noticed the same with crockpots specifically, I had been looking for one for soap making and passed a few up at $8 in December 2012. In January I finally bit the bullet, but it was $12. Haven't been in yet this year. It's in a affluent town, but their help is pretty poor so I'm guessing they don't pay well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living