Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 08:38 PM

16,095 posts, read 10,762,339 times

Advertisements

Things slowing down a little... Desert Willow, Mexican Bird of Paradise are in bloom. Mohave Sage is starting. Yucca blooms were swept away in a hail storm. Water Lilies and Water Iris blooming in the pond. Lavender, Valarian, Dianthus, and Geraniums blooming in pots. A cactus bloomed briefly. Wildflowers mostly faded away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 08:50 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,666,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Things slowing down a little... Desert Willow, Mexican Bird of Paradise are in bloom. Mohave Sage is starting. Yucca blooms were swept away in a hail storm. Water Lilies and Water Iris blooming in the pond. Lavender, Valarian, Dianthus, and Geraniums blooming in pots. A cactus bloomed briefly. Wildflowers mostly faded away.
Just for the heck of it, I planted a desert willow several years ago in a sandy, sunny spot in my yard in Central Florida. It never got very big, but man, what beautiful blooms. Drove by the house in March and it is still there; actually looking a bit better than when we sold in January of 2017.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:35 PM

4,034 posts, read 2,719,381 times
My sister planted some mint last year which has taken off. She also planted a rose bush last year which did okay its first year, but has nearly doubled its size this year.

I had an autumn brilliance serviceberry tree planted last fall, and after the weird winter we'd had, I was worried it wasn't going to make it despite my best efforts. But it bloomed flowers in early spring, there's been significant branch growth, a lot of leaves bursting, and the berries are coming in (still green, however.)

Old 06-01-2018, 08:05 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,666,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
My sister planted some mint last year which has taken off. She also planted a rose bush last year which did okay its first year, but has nearly doubled its size this year.

I had an autumn brilliance serviceberry tree planted last fall, and after the weird winter we'd had, I was worried it wasn't going to make it despite my best efforts. But it bloomed flowers in early spring, there's been significant branch growth, a lot of leaves bursting, and the berries are coming in (still green, however.)
I plan on planting an autumn brilliance serviceberry this coming winter. Going to put it in the back yard with a good view from the window by our recliners. Let me know how you like the berries (if you can beat the birds to them).

Old 06-01-2018, 08:30 PM

4,034 posts, read 2,719,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I plan on planting an autumn brilliance serviceberry this coming winter. Going to put it in the back yard with a good view from the window by our recliners. Let me know how you like the
berries (if you can beat the birds to them).
I'm hoping I can snag a few before the birds get them all, but I've been told they're pretty quick on that! As it is, I've seen them 'stalking' the tree, waiting for them to get ripe.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:07 PM

346 posts, read 551,252 times
Came back from vacation in Jamaica to a front and back yard garden in full bloom-- eyeliner lily trees, yellow, red, and orange asiatic lilies, purple coneflowers and irises, hostas and day lilies, even the potted lemon trees exploded with tiny fruits that I'm hoping will survive to ripen in the fall. It's amazing what 3 days of precipitation and mild weather can do for the garden.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:02 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
oh my zinnias are blooming , my roses are blooming and so are my cucumbers . Im just hoping these bucket loads of rain we are getting hold off for a while they are really doing a number on crops this year.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:11 AM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
It's still quiet here, but the Viburnum in a corner of the back yard is blooming.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:18 PM

83,539 posts, read 75,373,979 times
I was at the Mid Coast of Maine last weekend. This is what was blooming there. Lilacs too. Seems about 4 weeks behind us here in CT. I posted a ton of pics from there if anyone is interested.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:12 PM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I'd post a picture of my giant tulip plant. Then life happened. Bo here it is, late:

Someone was in my yard a while ago and said, "That means it needs to be divided."

Perhaps I can do that in the Fall? Originally I had twenty of these beauties along the side of the deck but over the years they've all disappeared but for this one.

And what about the whiter blossoms? Revert to type?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden