Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 01:08 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
My purple butterfly bush is starting to bloom today--it's incredibly beautiful.

That plant is so hardy, I've moved it twice by literally ripping it out (roots and all) of the ground to new locations and it still thrives. Half of the roots are currently above ground and there's hardly any adverse effects.

I have a purple one too....it has so many blossoms! And smells heavenly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 01:41 PM

346 posts, read 551,252 times
Yep, it's a gorgeous plant for the garden! It'll seemingly attract butterflies from half the state into your yard

Do you prune it each spring? I've had to go heavy-handed with the pruners otherwise the bush will take over its section of the garden and crowd out the smaller plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I have a purple one too....it has so many blossoms! And smells heavenly...

Old 06-25-2018, 03:28 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
My purple butterfly bush is starting to bloom today--it's incredibly beautiful.

That plant is so hardy, I've moved it twice by literally ripping it out (roots and all) of the ground to new locations and it still thrives. Half of the roots are currently above ground and there's hardly any adverse effects
This year is the first one I've had that even got to the almost blooming stage. I also have trouble growing bee balm and cone flowers. Black eyed Susans, no problem.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Daylilies Blazing Embers and Hyperion. And another yellow daylily. Shasta daisies that must be almost five feet tall. It is the end of my Honey Vanilla roses, but Bonica blooms on. My transplanted Peace rose finally is showing buds, so I have that to look forward to. Oh, and lavender and Lady’s Mantle.

And my bluish hydrangea is in full flower.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:43 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
A beautiful orange hibiscus....

Old 06-28-2018, 09:25 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,666,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
A beautiful orange hibiscus....
I love hibiscus; had them in Florida. Couple of weeks ago I bought a Fiesta hibiscus here and have it in a pot out back. Absolutely gorgeous.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:16 PM

292 posts, read 163,377 times
Raised Garden beds
6 Kale
12 tomatoes
12 peppers
3 zuchini
4 lemon cukes
2 Asparagas
Sunflower plants

Many potato plants growing all year- purple, red & brown (russet) varieties

Herbs- Plenty of
Mint & Lemon Balm plants used to make tea
Chives, Rosemary, Oregano,Cilantro etc.

Wild Blackberry picking begins mid August
Jam and we consume 1.5 cups of berries each week until around Xmas
We set out cages in the rivers to catch Crawdads during blackberry picking. Makes great Crawdad Soup we can freeze

Last edited by SimpleSonya; 06-29-2018 at 12:40 PM..

Old 06-29-2018, 12:27 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
All of my lily patches are now in bloom, even the lily trees. However, half of them got hit by fungus
Was able to find enough for us to make a centerpiece for my daughter's 3rd birthday party

Crepe myrtles are next!
Those look lovely. My Stella d’oro patch got mites and/or a fungus this year, and they are usually indestructible. I sprayed with a concoction and they seem back to normal now. We had a very wet spring.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:30 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,386,492 times
The viburnum still has flowers! It was a cool and rainy month. The hydrangea is still dressed to the nines, and the daisies and lavender have decided to make an appearance. Nothing from the day lilies. Any day now.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:03 PM

236 posts, read 195,915 times
Cherry tomatoes popping up here in my Idaho garden. Still getting beautiful butter lettuce (still hanging in there), Swiss chard, basil, mint, walking onions, cilantro, rosemary, squash blooms really coming in now. For the most part this has been the most successful Idaho garden in 3 yrs because we didnt have those late frosts this yr like before. Wish I planted more but was afraid of losing so much like yr before. I noticed my purple butterfly plants are the best garden companion since they attract all the lovely bees to pollinate everything. I propagated some mint, basil and rosemary- love doing that. Next yr I plan to double my garden space and get some berries in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden