Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2022, 11:55 AM

24,776 posts, read 11,140,961 times

Advertisements

Nothing seems right - last night we harvested Habaneros and Reeper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 02:27 PM

19,888 posts, read 22,814,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
WHOA! Nice! I miss winter! 78° here today! 5 days of 70s 1st week of November. Like 1975. What a feeling.

I have work to do

Geez that's warm. I'll be headed out for a week and a half to hunt along the CN border. Gonna be cold the entire time. Right now in Helena we're supposed to get anywhere from 5-12" of snow thru Thursday, which is good we need the moisture. Lake Helena (which I have a view of) has a complete ice sheet- one of the fastest freeze-ups I've witnessed since being here. I actually drove down yesterday afternoon, parked and with my binoculars I could see the ice sheet forming. I picked a reference point and in less than an hour I saw a few yards sheet over. This morning total sheet. Pretty amazing.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:12 AM

9,919 posts, read 7,812,886 times
We're going to attempt to do some indoor gardening this winter. My husband bought some grow lights and has some vegetables started from seeds. I just dug up my jalapeno plant from the outside garden and put it in a giant pot. It is still producing peppers so it would be nice if I could keep it going.

Old 11-16-2022, 03:33 PM

5,932 posts, read 6,152,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I actually enjoy cleanup, its therapeutic for me. Especially knowing my pile of leaves goes from this...to that.
I might be stealing some of my neighbour's leaves that they pilled onto the curb. I wanna see if I can keep my compost pile warm all through the winter. Last winter it was only really frozen from mid-Jan to mid-Feb and the fall leaves were broken down into ready to use compost by late May. This time around I'll try to add more nitrogen (coffee shop coffee grounds) and moisture as I think last winter it was deficient in both (in addition to the extra mass from neighbours).

Old 11-16-2022, 03:45 PM

Last month or so of harvests:
https://imgur.com/gallery/YLVs1Qu

Oct 13

Oct 14, Oct 17

Oct 18

Oct 19, Oct 20

Oct 21, Oct 22

Oct 27, Oct 28

Oct 31, Nov 1

Nov 6, Nov 9

Nov 10 x3

Nov 11, Nov 12

Nov 13

Old 11-16-2022, 08:20 PM

33,002 posts, read 36,540,054 times
Memph, what do you do with those small green tomatoes? I have about two dozen. This is the first time that this has happened to me.

Friday I picked a small ripening tomato, two very small bell peppers, and two eggplant. This is crazy. Years ago the garden was kicked by mid October.

Old 11-16-2022, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Memph, what do you do with those small green tomatoes? I have about two dozen. This is the first time that this has happened to me.

Friday I picked a small ripening tomato, two very small bell peppers, and two eggplant. This is crazy. Years ago the garden was kicked by mid October.
Yeah, I managed to keep my tomatoes alive up until Monday. Two days later the garden was blanketed in snow and temperatures seem unlikely to rise above 45F until December.

Tomatoes release something called ethylene gas, which acts as a hormone that induces ripening. So you want to basically place your tomatoes in a way that allows ethylene to build up to speed ripening. Some people like to wrap their tomatoes in newspaper to trap the released gas inside. Or maybe put all their tomatoes together in a closed box. I'm leaving my tomatoes on a table in the basement. There's enough of them close together that a fair bit of ethylene will build up even if it's not that much of an enclosed space. And since I have a large quantity I don't want them to ripen that fast because then I'll have more than I can eat all at once.

Old 11-18-2022, 04:48 AM

2,738 posts, read 2,244,608 times
I have been covering up our turnip greens each night that the temps get down to freezing. They look very bad when I uncover them, but they perk right back up.

Old 11-18-2022, 07:27 AM

4,615 posts, read 6,419,175 times
Other than fried green tomatoes, I use 'em to stretch my tomatillos by 50% when making Salsa Verde.

Old 11-18-2022, 07:53 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,784,779 times
Our first real freeze of the fall was evident this morning and it is already time to start planning the early spring garden that will start in only 10 weeks here. The phase of our lives calls for furnishing the seed, plants, fertilizer, irrigation water and land and having a much, much younger couple to the stooping, bending, lifting, etc and we all get to eat well. On the bright side we have already made the arrangement with an eager young couple that has no place to garden and needs the means that we have. On top of the growing side of this equation my wife will teach the young lady about canning, freezing, drying, and preserving in general what is produced as well as ways that we have learned to prepare several lesser known vegetables fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden