Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What race would I go by?
white 39 37.50%
black 11 10.58%
Mexican(hispanic) 1 0.96%
mixed 53 50.96%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 04:57 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times

Advertisements

Go by what you've always gone by. But, it is interesting and you should explore your ethnicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 06:09 AM

385 posts, read 440,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I think you should identify as Asian. Keep 'em guessing.
BWHAHAHAHHAHAA!!! Right?

Old 08-21-2017, 06:18 AM

385 posts, read 440,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Hahaha! I don't blame Condi for saying that she is black. She is mixed over generations (Haven't encountered a black American yet who isn't; Skip Gates has not either to my knowledge) and percentages means nothing when you are raised that you are a black person. Ask Condi's "black" father if he was still alive.
That is exactly right.

I can more easily claim being white since I am 60% AND I grew up with a white parent, in a generally stereotypical "white" culture environment, than if my parents both self-identified as black (and were fair skinned to boot). Blacks have long known they were part white. DNA tests surprise no one in that regard, but the vast majority who self-identify as simply black and nothing else, very likely won't change that label even if they found out they were only 25% african DNA (or less; as I bet many are).

Old 08-21-2017, 06:20 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,304,488 times
I would probably put down white since that is the largest percentage of your DNA. Personally I never answer these questions if it's not a definite requirement.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:55 AM

237 posts, read 124,728 times
Hispanics aren't actually a race, or ethnic, group. This is a common error, and I used to make it myself -- but know that when referring to ethnicity, Latino/Latina are the terms to use. "Hispanic" just means you have ancestors who once lived in Spain, regardless of ethnicity.

Referring to which 'race' to identify as, it seems that, percentage-wise, and based on what you said about your phenotype, that you'd be considered "white" in America, at least in a social context. Nonetheless, I think in the context of forms such as the census, you can select "mixed," which would be appropriate in your case, since 30% is still a statistically significant admixture.

May I ask which DNA testing company you used to get your results? On 23andMe, there is a big difference between those who score 28% or more in African ancestry, and those who identify as black or white. Apparently, in most cases, 28% usually causes enough of a phenotypic effect that there is a large disparity between those who identify as black vs. those who have 27% or less African DNA. That is, most who are 28% or more identify as black, whereas 27% or less identify as white. Since you said you scored 30%, but "look" more European, your case appears to be anomalous, unless you used a different DNA testing company.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:20 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
I am in the same boat as you.

According to my heritage, I am English, Irish and Hispanic, which (as far as I'm concerned) means that I am "Caucasian" b/c "Hispanic" isn't a race.

However, on most stupid ****ing census forms, you can only choose either "Caucasian (non-Hispanic)" or "Hispanic."

So, I usually choose not to answer or choose "Other" or check both boxes (Caucasian and Hispanic) even though the form tells you to only choose one.

I really don't understand how a country that supposedly lauds the multi-ethnic heritages of its people (cf. "the melting pot") can consistently present census forms that allow people to check only ONE box

Old 08-21-2017, 09:08 AM

18 posts, read 19,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Hahaha! I don't blame Condi for saying that she is black. She is mixed over generations (Haven't encountered a black American yet who isn't; Skip Gates has not either to my knowledge) and percentages means nothing when you are raised that you are a black person. Ask Condi's "black" father if he was still alive. Maybe this has something to do with that One Drop Rule and then that "mulatto" designation on the census that disappeared by 1930? Hhmmm....

OP for me, it is the one that you have identified with culturally up until the point of testing. FOR ME. But please consider and explore your other ethnicity. I have always known on some level that I am not 100% African, but suspected heavily African pre-test. And even then as a black American, just where in Africa? I tend to follow and adhere to my cultural background in my identity as I KNEW it, growing up. And this is coming from someone who was often confused when people would ask my racial background.

I am southern black American. To put it out there, I am Straight Outta Mississippi!
Thankyou for your response and honestly up until this point i have never really felt like i would be in any group. i grew up in very white areas, had mostly white friends however my dads side has a huge obsession with the mexican culture and turns out I'm only 10% mexican. Which is a huge dissapointment as i expected much higher.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khendra View Post
Hispanics aren't actually a race, or ethnic, group. This is a common error, and I used to make it myself -- but know that when referring to ethnicity, Latino/Latina are the terms to use. "Hispanic" just means you have ancestors who once lived in Spain, regardless of ethnicity.

Referring to which 'race' to identify as, it seems that, percentage-wise, and based on what you said about your phenotype, that you'd be considered "white" in America, at least in a social context. Nonetheless, I think in the context of forms such as the census, you can select "mixed," which would be appropriate in your case, since 30% is still a statistically significant admixture.

May I ask which DNA testing company you used to get your results? On 23andMe, there is a big difference between those who score 28% or more in African ancestry, and those who identify as black or white. Apparently, in most cases, 28% usually causes enough of a phenotypic effect that there is a large disparity between those who identify as black vs. those who have 27% or less African DNA. That is, most who are 28% or more identify as black, whereas 27% or less identify as white. Since you said you scored 30%, but "look" more European, your case appears to be anomalous, unless you used a different DNA testing company.
I agree the terms are very confusing, even before i posted on this forum i actually looked up the defintions of latin, hispanic, spanish so i wouldnt get ridiculed on here. Heres the weird part my last name is from spain yet I'm only 2% spanish? I used DNA Ancestry. Despite me only being 2% spanish and 8% italian I look like i came from those regions or even from the middle eastern regions even though my ancestry comes mainly from scandinavia and britian.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I am in the same boat as you.

According to my heritage, I am English, Irish and Hispanic, which (as far as I'm concerned) means that I am "Caucasian" b/c "Hispanic" isn't a race.

However, on most stupid ****ing census forms, you can only choose either "Caucasian (non-Hispanic)" or "Hispanic."

So, I usually choose not to answer or choose "Other" or check both boxes (Caucasian and Hispanic) even though the form tells you to only choose one.

I really don't understand how a country that supposedly lauds the multi-ethnic heritages of its people (cf. "the melting pot") can consistently present census forms that allow people to check only ONE box
Its very confusing, i guess hispanic isnt a race, so i literally have no idea what "race" really is. This is exactly why i came on this forum to get some answers. And yes I agree very much.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:21 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,693 times
Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race, and NO, not all Hispanics have Indio or other genetics. Many are 100% Caucasian (at least as far as they know).

So unless you were raised in a Hispanic household, NO, you cannot claim to be Hispanic. You are "mixed" - but then so are most people.

I have Native American heritage but I have never even tried to claim it. My Native American ancestors escaped to Canada around the time of the Trail of Tears, converted to Catholicism, took French names, and proceded to call themselves "French Canadian". Not on the Dawes Rolls. Plus - not raised in ANY Native American tradition. So no real reason or right to try to claim that on a form for special consideration.

You're not Hispanic. Period paragraph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy