Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 06:17 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,415 times

Advertisements

Floridians go on and on about their state having unique natural aesthetics, yet superficially, the appearance (even in the tropical zone) isn't much different than what you find in the coastal areas of other Southern states. Florida looks far more like Georgia/Carolinas than Texas looks like Kansas/Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docc4 View Post
Florida is known around the world as being one of only a couple high population lush tropical areas in the entire first world.
A tiny zone at the tip of a peninsula. And even then, much of the "tropical" aesthetic there was cultivated (i.e. coconuts and many other tropical palm/tree species). The natural wilderness of the area doesn't look much different superficially than other coastal areas of the South. For instance, the Everglades might as well be the wetlands/marshes of Louisiana, and the Rocklands look like landscapes typical of the Carolinas.

The tropical zone in Florida indeed has its importance regarding ecology/conservation, just don't go expecting a Congo or Amazon style rainforest.

Last edited by Texyn; 03-25-2017 at 07:49 PM..

Old 03-26-2017, 12:10 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
this thread!!

Old 03-26-2017, 08:25 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
A tiny zone at the tip of a peninsula. And even then, much of the "tropical" aesthetic there was cultivated (i.e. coconuts and many other tropical palm/tree species). The natural wilderness of the area doesn't look much different superficially than other coastal areas of the South. For instance, the Everglades might as well be the wetlands/marshes of Louisiana, and the Rocklands look like landscapes typical of the Carolinas.

The tropical zone in Florida indeed has its importance regarding ecology/conservation, just don't go expecting a Congo or Amazon style rainforest.
Please inform me what landscapes are 'typical' of the Carolinas. The chain of Barrier Islands? The Outer Banks? The Low Country? The Coastal Plain? The rolling hills of the Piedmont? The Blue Ridge Mountains?

Old 03-26-2017, 10:34 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Quote:
Comon now, lets not let our biases effect our opinion.. Texas is not exactly known for its beauty, you and I both know it. How about you post some pictures? If you do they will be mistaken for states such as Oklahoma and Kansas. There is a reason why Texas does absolutely pitiful at attracting tourists, and that is one of the main reasons why. Do you have a better reason why? Florida is known around the world as being one of only a couple high population lush tropical areas in the entire first world.

Texas might have a more varied landscape, but in my opinion it's one of the ugliest areas in the U.S. People criticize Houston and Dallas for being two of the ugliest major city landscapes in the U.S. on this forum all the time. Would you like me to link you some forum threads showing what people on this forum think of Texas's beauty? Tell me some things that are unique to Texas, I would love to hear them.

Florida blows Texas away in tourist numbers, and one of the major reasons why is the beautiful beaches and lush tropical environment. I'll post some pictures if you want, and people will guess they were taken in Florida right away. There's not many places in the U.S. that can say that. Once again if you would like to prove that Texas is anywhere as close to as beautiful as Florida just post pictures and let other people decide. The world has already voted by actually wanting to go to Florida a lot more than Texas. Do you understand how many more tourists Florida gets than Texas? It's more than 6 times as many and its almost the same number as California. Texas gets less tourists than Massachusetts.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...beautiful.html
This alone (Big Bend National Park TX) blows anything Florida has out of the swamp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsJxhc8KqG4

Old 03-26-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Please inform me what landscapes are 'typical' of the Carolinas. The chain of Barrier Islands? The Outer Banks? The Low Country? The Coastal Plain? The rolling hills of the Piedmont? The Blue Ridge Mountains?
Environments with pine trees, which manifest in many of those locations.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:10 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Environments with pine trees, which manifest in many of those locations.
OK, so the Coastal Plains.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:36 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
Currently live in Atlanta ,Georgia (Cobb County to be exact) for about 10 yrs. I found it to be more livable than New York but is there better? Traffic is bad, crime is bad (not too bad in Cobb, though), and I don't care what anybody says the south is cold! Just not as cold as the north and less snowy. And there is no indian summer here unless the rest of the eastern US is getting a indian summer. That is the reason I put Florida in there because I like warm weather. As for weather Texas is warmer than Georgia (I know when Texas gets cold it can get COLD!!! But in general it stays warmer and they actually do have indian summers in Texas). South GA has a warmer climate than N. GA but it seems like all the jobs are in Atlanta, the rest of GA is a collection of towns and small cities that I don't here anything particulary good about. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. I wouldn't mind life in a town away from the big city (less traffic and rat race is a good thing) as long as I can find a decent job, home, and not struggling with my bills. My question is quality of life, resonable cost of living, and my taste for warm weather would fit better in Florida or Texas.
If you honestly find Cobb County GA cold.........yeah I've got nothing. Also keep in mind Dallas actually has more cold snaps than Atlanta does. Their averages are warmer but Dallas sits in an area where they can get temperature extremes. Could be 70 the one day and 30 the next. That's pretty common for Dallas in the winter. Personally I prefer North Georgia to Texas and Florida, in most aspects. I like the rolling hills and forest of North Georgia, far superior to flat boring Florida. If I'm being honest I think North Georgia has better weather than Texas and Florida but that's personal preference.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
OK, so the Coastal Plains.
Yes, coastal plains of the Carolinas. I even specified that in my original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Also keep in mind Dallas actually has more cold snaps than Atlanta does. Their averages are warmer but Dallas sits in an area where they can get temperature extremes. Could be 70 the one day and 30 the next. That's pretty common for Dallas in the winter.
Incorrect. Atlanta has higher average amounts of freezes occurrences during winter, and has a lower yearly average absolute minimum temperature. While those values are averages, they account for the magnitude of cold deviation. It has seen single digits twice since 1996, whereas Dallas hasn't had one since then:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardin...ne#U.S._cities

Both areas get respective extremes in temperature, its just a matter of trajectory with the cold fronts.

Last edited by Texyn; 03-27-2017 at 03:13 PM..

Old 03-27-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Texas might have a more varied landscape, but in my opinion it's one of the ugliest areas in the U.S. People criticize Houston and Dallas for being two of the ugliest major city landscapes in the U.S. on this forum all the time. Would you like me to link you some forum threads showing what people on this forum think of Texas's beauty? Tell me some things that are unique to Texas, I would love to hear them.
Most people on this forum are old-timers, so they are bound to believe in dated descriptions about these places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.