Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2021, 11:52 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

^ in that same vein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHTbvX6IWk0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 04:49 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Hopefully Atlanta will start seeing young black professionals move into the new developments being built in the city. I know you mentioned they usually don't. It would be nice to see cities build urban neighborhoods with new development and tons of retail, but still be unapologetically black and prosperous.
We shall see cause from the groups I follow it seems most are still interested in suburbs.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:15 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I think it’s important to note that we do have an issue in the black community regarding the desire to open restaurants in black communities. The restaurant I posted along with the restaurants you posted here are all African, Haitian, and Jamaican, etc. Why aren’t there more African American owned restaurants in black neighborhoods serving different cuisines? Is it a lack of access to capital? Is it the lack of access to loans? Why are many of the black owned restaurants only from immigrants in black neighborhoods?

There are black owned restaurants in most cities, but most are located in popular neighborhoods with bustling retail corridors or downtown. Why hasn’t the black business community used their resources to open up a critical mass of dining establishments in black neighborhoods?

Some may claim that they need to be where the disposable income is, but most of their clientele in black restaurants is from black people. They travel outside of the black community to eat in restaurants in popular neighborhoods with bustling retail corridors or downtown. With a unified vision, black restaurants could centrally locate to corridors in black neighborhoods near their consumers.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I think it’s important to note that we do have an issue in the black community regarding the desire to open restaurants in black communities. The restaurant I posted along with the restaurants you posted here are all African, Haitian, and Jamaican, etc. Why aren’t there more African American owned restaurants in black neighborhoods serving different cuisines? Is it a lack of access to capital? Is it the lack of access to loans? Why are many of the black owned restaurants only from immigrants in black neighborhoods?

There are black owned restaurants in most cities, but most are located in popular neighborhoods with bustling retail corridors or downtown. Why hasn’t the black business community used their resources to open up a critical mass of dining establishments in black neighborhoods?

Some may claim that they need to be where the disposable income is, but most of their clientele in black restaurants is from black people. They travel outside of the black community to eat in restaurants in popular neighborhoods with bustling retail corridors or downtown. With a unified vision, black restaurants could centrally locate to corridors in black neighborhoods near their consumers.
I hear you but..the first restaurant in my video was African American, there's an American flag in the thumbnail lol. The Coast cafe is in the "black part (gentrifying now) of Cambridge, popular with the Celtics. This video was meant to show some of the diversity of Black cultures in Boston.

But I hear you. And no I don't consider it an issue immigrants want to open restaurants. It's hard nasty work that fails most of the time and many native black Americans AND white Americans don't want to do. Full stop.

Here are four African American restaurants in Boston

MIDA- owner moved to Boston from ACNJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ICQswJFSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUEHuUf_LGM

50KITCHEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KmC6eiG_y8

Vaughns Fish and Chips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObLvPNVWXAc&t=361s

Darryls Corner Bar and Kitchen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_b2JtHEKLc

The Urban Grape- African American owned winery, the owner moved here from the projects of New Haven CT. No college degree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4udDiimJ9Q

Old 01-05-2021, 09:27 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:

This is not an issue in cities like Houston, Atlanta, New Orleans, DFW or most cities I've been to throughout the south and the midwest. Even when I was in NYC there were plenty of Black restaurants in the black communities up there. And I'm talking African American owned restaurants. If I had only one complaint about Black restaurants in predominately Black communities I've been to is that I would like to see more healthier/vegan restaurants and less soul food spots.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
This is not an issue in cities like Houston, Atlanta, New Orleans, DFW or most cities I've been to throughout the south and the midwest. Even when I was in NYC there were plenty of Black restaurants in the black communities up there. And I'm talking African American owned restaurants. If I had only one complaint about Black restaurants in predominately Black communities I've been to is that I would like to see more healthier/vegan restaurants and less soul food spots.
I think black restaurants are generally going to reflect the demography of the black population. So I wouldn't say it's an issue anywhere. Any city is gonna have a few black American restaurants. Like there's a few more I could pull up for Boston but it's overkill. I don't really need 30 black American restaurants in a 45 square mile city. Lotta regular old Fried Chicken spots (Crown, New York Fried, Royal, Yummys etc) anyway.

But having been in Boston since the late 1950s the women in my family can make some Caribbean dishes and we eat them along with soul food at Thanksgiving. This is pretty standard in Boston. People learn from their friends. If you don't like a diversity of black cultures and a fusion of those culture you cannot like Boston. If you see the fusion as a loss of Blck culture detrimental to your QOL it's not gonna work for you, but if it something you desire or approach things with an open mind you'll be all set. Theres dudes growing Okra on Woodrow Ave in Dorchester , your not gonna be at a loss for basic sould food staples.

What we eat less of is fried foods and we eat a lot of Pizza and Doughnuts relative to black people in Baltimore and points south.. Fried Catfish isn't popular in Boston, but there are neighborhood fish fry's in Fort Hill Roxbury on sunny summer days. Particularly on this block: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3238...7i16384!8i8192 I've walked by it a few times over the years and someone always offers me some fish but I don't eat seafood.

IMO soul food options are great but repetitive/limited due to historical reasons and we've moved away from some soul food entrees/side over time (sounds like you want more choices too). For that reason, I like the infusion of other black culture food because it simply expands the menu.

btw NuVegan is a nice Vegan black restaurant in DC. As is Land of Kush in Baltimore which does Vegan soul food.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:37 AM

2,751 posts, read 2,421,600 times
Quote:
I think black restaurants are generally going to reflect the demography of the black population. So I wouldn't say it's an issue anywhere. Any city is gonna have a few black American restaurants. Like there's a few more I could pull up for Boston but it's overkill. I don't really need 30 black American restaurants in a 45 square mile city. Lotta regular old Fried Chicken spots (Crown, New York Fried, Royal, Yummys etc) anyway.

But having been in Boston since the late 1950s the women in my family can make some Caribbean dishes and we eat them along with soul food at Thanksgiving. This is pretty standard in Boston. People learn from their friends. If you don't like a diversity of black cultures and a fusion of those culture you cannot like Boston. If you see the fusion as a loss of Blck culture detrimental to your QOL it's not gonna work for you, but if it something you desire or approach things with an open mind you'll be all set. Theres dudes growing Okra on Woodrow Ave in Dorchester , your not gonna be at a loss for basic sould food staples.

What we eat less of is fried foods and we eat a lot of Pizza and Doughnuts relative to black people in Baltimore and points south.. Fried Catfish isn't popular in Boston, but there are neighborhood fish fry's in Fort Hill Roxbury on sunny summer days. Particularly on this block: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3238...7i16384!8i8192 I've walked by it a few times over the years and someone always offers me some fish but I don't eat seafood.

IMO soul food options are great but repetitive/limited due to historical reasons and we've moved away from some soul food entrees/side over time (sounds like you want more choices too). For that reason, I like the infusion of other black culture food because it simply expands the menu.

btw NuVegan is a nice Vegan black restaurant in DC. As is Land of Kush in Baltimore which does Vegan soul food.

All of people aren't that open to Caribbean/African cultures like that so places like Boston, South Florida, NYC etc. aren't attractive places to them. I also understand that an African American person from say Virginia or NC etc. might find a place like Boston quite jarring.

EDIT: love NuVegan. There's a location in College Park, MD. There's also Sweet Sosumba (Jamaican Vegan place) on Georgia Ave NW, Calabash in Shaw, and Everlasting Life Vegan in SE which are black owned. There's a few other places.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
All of people aren't that open to Caribbean/African cultures like that so places like Boston, South Florida, NYC etc. aren't attractive places to them. I also understand that an African American person from say Virginia or NC etc. might find a place like Boston quite jarring.

EDIT: love NuVegan. There's a location in College Park, MD. There's also Sweet Sosumba (Jamaican Vegan place) on Georgia Ave NW, Calabash in Shaw, and Everlasting Life Vegan in SE which are black owned. There's a few other places.
There was one good place that had amazing veggie and (vegan) cheese pattie and natural smoothies in PG called Turning Natural in Forestville but it was closed when I went back right before the pandemic. It was very busy a few years ago. Nice little couches and books in there too.

I really do think it's lame to not like a place because you find it jarring at first. It speaks to a lack of flexibility and limited exposure to cultural diversity/urbanity. Not a good thing IMO. You miss out on way too much of the world that way and impose limits on yourself you just don't need to have.

I don't really understand why some black people from the south or Midwest w/e feel that way. Is it because folks feel awkward in that type of space? I just find fundamentally black peoples are more alike than different. More so than Asians or Hispanics.

Solid list of some black owned vegan restaurants across the US

Old 01-05-2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I hear you but..the first restaurant in my video was African American, there's an American flag in the thumbnail lol. The Coast cafe is in the "black part (gentrifying now) of Cambridge, popular with the Celtics. This video was meant to show some of the diversity of Black cultures in Boston.

But I hear you. And no I don't consider it an issue immigrants want to open restaurants. It's hard nasty work that fails most of the time and many native black Americans AND white Americans don't want to do. Full stop.

Here are four African American restaurants in Boston

MIDA- owner moved to Boston from ACNJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3ICQswJFSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUEHuUf_LGM

50KITCHEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KmC6eiG_y8

Vaughns Fish and Chips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObLvPNVWXAc&t=361s

Darryls Corner Bar and Kitchen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_b2JtHEKLc

The Urban Grape- African American owned winery, the owner moved here from the projects of New Haven CT. No college degree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4udDiimJ9Q
Obviously DC has many African American owned restaurants. The problem is in food deserts. African Americans open restaurants, just not in their own neighborhoods compared to other neighborhoods except carryouts. I know it’s about risk, but we can change our own neighborhoods if we want to by not skipping over them when we open restaurants.

Where are the sit down restaurants? Nice places for a date or birthday?

Last edited by MDAllstar; 01-05-2021 at 11:29 PM..

Old 01-05-2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:

What do you think about the state of sit down restaurants in the African American community? Nice places versus carryouts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.