Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:14 PM

432 posts, read 1,664,490 times

Advertisements

I can not belive people want america to stop growing.

America is a land of opportunities. I came here 2003. Some People come to the US for better life. I say let them come. Everybody deserve to live a good life. If America is gonna provide that for them, I WELCOME THEM WITH OPEN ARMS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 05:16 PM

67 posts, read 209,586 times
Yes, it's overcrowded, especially in California because of illegal aliens. I can drive down the main California freeways and it looks like a cross between Mexico and Germany.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:33 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,851,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by affi View Post

America is a land of opportunities. I came here 2003. Some People come to the US for better life. I say let them come. Everybody deserve to live a good life. If America is gonna provide that for them, I WELCOME THEM WITH OPEN ARMS!!

believe it! our population is out of control. more people, more problems. soon america won't be the land of opportunity, it will be northern mexico.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:46 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,751,869 times
Running out of room? There is a ton of space in this country. Drive out to Montana, the Dakotas, parts of Wyoming sometime. Even some cities, like Buffalo and Cleveland have existing infrastucture and plenty of housing, due to the de-industrialization along with population decline, where people could possibly move to.

The problem we have is the fact that we an excessive amount of people trying to move to certain areas of the country, like California or the South, so it appears that the country as a whole is overcrowded when its actually not, when compared to some European countries.

If we re-invest in the rustbelt area along with planning smart growth in the more rural locations in the country, we could probably add more immigrants, maybe not 200 million, but we could add more and may need to in the future with the baby boomers dying off.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:47 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by affi View Post

As long as they follow the rules, most Americans feel the same way.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:52 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,034,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks4 View Post
Yes, it's overcrowded, especially in California because of illegal aliens. I can drive down the main California freeways and it looks like a cross between Mexico and Germany.
Only in Germany you can drive 120 m.p.h.+ on the Autobon. A cross between Mexico and Japan is more like it.

America does have plenty of room if they want to live in the Great Plains, but they'll probably end up packing the already crowded areas like California or other big cities.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:08 PM

146 posts, read 641,438 times
If the US goes to 500 million what will stop it from going even higher and higher and higher?

Old 08-13-2008, 07:18 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Default Immigrants don't want to live in the Dakotas

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Running out of room? There is a ton of space in this country. Drive out to Montana, the Dakotas, parts of Wyoming sometime. Even some cities, like Buffalo and Cleveland have existing infrastucture and plenty of housing, due to the de-industrialization along with population decline, where people could possibly move to.

The problem we have is the fact that we an excessive amount of people trying to move to certain areas of the country, like California or the South, so it appears that the country as a whole is overcrowded when its actually not, when compared to some European countries.

If we re-invest in the rustbelt area along with planning smart growth in the more rural locations in the country, we could probably add more immigrants, maybe not 200 million, but we could add more and may need to in the future with the baby boomers dying off.
Immigrants want to live where it is WARM and plenty of jobs and fun things to do. That's why they go to California and Florida, and now the rest of the south. They aren't going to the cold, barren places. Now South Florida is so full of Cubans, that not many anglos want to live there. And people are fleeing California for Idaho, etc. We're giving away our Edens to these illegals...

Old 08-13-2008, 08:33 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Texas' water problems are not going to be too big of a deal. One of the largest underground aquifers in the world sits below TX, OK, KS, and NE. There's already someone trying to sell the DFW area on the idea of buying water from it and having a pipeline system established. Dallas thinks it can solve the issue without piping in water, at least for now they do. I think it would be a great idea to have a back up plan though, in case of a long lasting, severe drought.

As far as space goes though, yes, 200million more will fit. I would hope we start doing a lot smarter things with all of our resources though. Food will have to be available on a much more efficient supply than it is now.
The depletion of the Ogallala Aquifer would be a very unwise move. Big ag has already engaged in water mining in portions of the aquifer that has depleted the water levels by 40-50ft. That is not sustainable, and the aquifer takes a long time to recharge. Supplying urban interests via the aquifer would be a terrible idea.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:40 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
They say America will have another 200 million people by 2050. Is there room?
I don't care because I won't be here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.