Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:23 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times

Advertisements

Space-wise, the U.S. could easily accomodate 200 million more people. It's interesting to mention that American urban areas are actually LESS dense then they were when we had well over 100 million fewer inhabitants. Minneapolis, for example, once had over half a million, now it's down to only about 350,000. Chicago and Detroit are even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 11:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Space-wise, the U.S. could easily accomodate 200 million more people. It's interesting to mention that American urban areas are actually LESS dense then they were when we had well over 100 million fewer inhabitants. Minneapolis, for example, once had over half a million, now it's down to only about 350,000. Chicago and Detroit are even worse.
Pittsburgh once had 650,000, now about half that. It is thought it may go under 300,000 in the next census.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:47 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I don't care because I won't be here.
This is such a sh*tty attitude. This is one of the few things that truly infuriates me because it is so selfish and so prevalent in the U.S. today. If Americans conserved more and weren't so focused on a "buy more new STUFF and throw the 'old' stuff away" attitude then yes, maybe we could avoid the crisis of "overpopulation" in this country when we add another 200 million people. Really it's not "overcrowding" or "overpopulation" that it the issue. The issue is "overconsumption."

Edit: This isn't a personal attack against you, Canine*Castle. I took the wink emoticon into account... But it just kinda set me off on my tirade.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:01 AM

411 posts, read 1,165,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
IOn one hand one only has to look at California and see the impact of rapid immigration and population growth. I remember living in CA in the 1970s when you could go to any community college or State University for free and the sales tax was 4% (it is now 8.5%). The lifestyle was free and easy and only 20 million people lived in the whole State. (95% of the people lived on 2% of the land) Now there is 45 million.
Why was it cheaper with less people?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:16 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I don't care because I won't be here.
It's this kind of attitude that will in the end defeat our country. 42 yrs. from now our grandchildren and great grandchildren will be fighting all the problems beset upon them by the present generations--overcrowding, illegal immigration, pollution, global warming, debt from the Iraq war and irresponsible spending by our gov't, etc.

I just read that by 2040 white people will be in the minority in this country. This country was founded by white Europeans. Those roots and the roots of the American Indian should be preserved.

Americans on the planet today NEED to CARE!

Last edited by staywarm2; 08-14-2008 at 08:45 AM..

Old 08-14-2008, 08:34 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
I think we are letting this country grow WAY to fast.

We have to consider curbing growth significantly, and if that means drastically cutting down on immigration, than so be it. We are having issues with food, pollution, and water, and if we let this country continue to grow they will continually get worse. Why don't people see this? It's in the best interest of ALL Americans.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:03 AM

146 posts, read 641,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_boi View Post
Why was it cheaper with less people?
The mix of the new people have caused problems because they do not speak english and need more social services. More people need more roads and other general infrastructure.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:19 AM

375 posts, read 782,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
It's this kind of attitude that will in the end defeat our country. 42 yrs. from now our grandchildren and great grandchildren will be fighting all the problems beset upon them by the present generations--overcrowding, illegal immigration, pollution, global warming, debt from the Iraq war and irresponsible spending by our gov't, etc.

I just read that by 2040 white people will be in the minority in this country. This country was founded by white Europeans. Those roots and the roots of the American Indian should be preserved.

Americans on the planet today NEED to CARE!
Let me correct you: This country was populated previous to Europeans landing on it. When they did land, they also imported African slaves to help build the infrastructure. Later, cheap labor was also utilized from China, Mexico, etc...This country wasn't built or founded by Whites alone. Remember that!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:40 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,739 times
I don't think the economy can handle 200 million more.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:45 PM

10 posts, read 38,202 times
America is not overcrowded. The US and China are about the same size, but China has 1 billion people more than the US. I don't know how the government could pay for all of them if they were in the US. Just think if the US had 1.3 billion people. It would be crazy enough with 500 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.