Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 03:08 PM

936 posts, read 3,189,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
believe it! our population is out of control. more people, more problems. soon america won't be the land of opportunity, it will be northern mexico.
the southern half of America already feels that way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 03:19 PM

936 posts, read 3,189,690 times
peak oil and water shortages won't allow this world to grow much longer. if anything, people will start dying off to sustainable levels. when peak oil really hits home and we realize that alternative energy sources are NOT as efficient as oil, we will see lots of looting and chaos in the cities for a long time until populations die down to sustainable levels as economies acclimate to localization. san diego is just now investing in desalinization plants, the irony is, the cities that san diego buys water from may one day buy water from san diego

Old 08-14-2008, 05:30 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Default Whites came 1st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Let me correct you: This country was populated previous to Europeans landing on it. When they did land, they also imported African slaves to help build the infrastructure. Later, cheap labor was also utilized from China, Mexico, etc...This country wasn't built or founded by Whites alone. Remember that!
Granted, the Chinese helped build the railroads, and the poor Africans were stolen to work our plantations, but whites originally settled (the Indians' land) and built the original towns--Jamestown, etc. Whites fought in the Revolutionary War, whites wrote the Constitution and set up our government. European culture was the first culture here after the Indian culture. Why are we giving that up so that we can bring in 12 million illegal Mexicans with no more than 2nd grade educations? There are millions of other educated people who would like to immigrate. People with productivity to give to our country other than putting on roofs and cutting lawns. We will turn ourselves into a 3rd world country if we haven't done so already!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:11 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Granted, the Chinese helped build the railroads, and the poor Africans were stolen to work our plantations, but whites originally settled (the Indians' land) and built the original towns--Jamestown, etc. Whites fought in the Revolutionary War, whites wrote the Constitution and set up our government. European culture was the first culture here after the Indian culture. Why are we giving that up so that we can bring in 12 million illegal Mexicans with no more than 2nd grade educations? There are millions of other educated people who would like to immigrate. People with productivity to give to our country other than putting on roofs and cutting lawns. We will turn ourselves into a 3rd world country if we haven't done so already!
I agree with you staywarm2.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:55 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
This is such a sh*tty attitude. This is one of the few things that truly infuriates me because it is so selfish and so prevalent in the U.S. today. If Americans conserved more and weren't so focused on a "buy more new STUFF and throw the 'old' stuff away" attitude then yes, maybe we could avoid the crisis of "overpopulation" in this country when we add another 200 million people. Really it's not "overcrowding" or "overpopulation" that it the issue. The issue is "overconsumption."

Edit: This isn't a personal attack against you, Canine*Castle. I took the wink emoticon into account... But it just kinda set me off on my tirade.

No problem, and I was just being silly. There is no one that cares about the state the world is in today more than I.

Just for the record, I am one of the most conservative and unselfish people you'd ever want to meet. I buy used items when I can (almost always) as I hate to spend money and hate to shop especially. Just call me Ms. Thrifty....I frequest thrift stores.

Check out my profile photo. The clothes down to the shoes (which I don't think shows up in the photo) were purchased at a church thrift store in my town. The outfit, not fancy for sure, but it only cost $2.00 including the shoes ($.50, $.50, and $1.00). I'm not ashamed to admit it although some people would have a panic attack if they were to wear used clothing. I even buy new items at garage sale and thrift stores and give them as gifts.

I have people in my family that are overconsumers and indulge in high-dollar things they don't need. I know exactly what you're talking about. It drives me nuts!!

I won't even get started on how I conserve electricity, heat, and gasoline.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 08-15-2008 at 08:09 AM..

Old 08-15-2008, 08:05 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
It's this kind of attitude that will in the end defeat our country. 42 yrs. from now our grandchildren and great grandchildren will be fighting all the problems beset upon them by the present generations--overcrowding, illegal immigration, pollution, global warming, debt from the Iraq war and irresponsible spending by our gov't, etc.

I just read that by 2040 white people will be in the minority in this country. This country was founded by white Europeans. Those roots and the roots of the American Indian should be preserved.

Americans on the planet today NEED to CARE!
Geez, I was only kidding. Please read the above answer to backdrifter and then I'll expand on that in answering you.

Everything you say is true, and I feel the same way. My dad came to Ellis Island when he was 15 (1925) from Germany and my mom's parents came to Ellis Island from Germany in 1909. I too believe the roots should be preserved and I was incredulous when I heard about the white people being in the minority by 2040. I know I won't be here, but my children will and any grandchildren I may have in the future. I do care and I'm sorry if my joking came across as flighty.

I think the welfare program in this country is pathetic and the people who collect it, even more so. I hate the idea that we are letting millions of illegals in this country, but there is someone bigger than I that is allowing it. I surely can't control it. I don't know what to do except do what I've been doing. I conserve like crazy in all aspects, am not self-indulgent, only produced two children, don't pollute, work hard, live a decent life, and, well by now, I hope you get the picture. I am just a simple woman getting up in years who lives comfortably but simply.

That's okay; I forgive you for braying at me. I'm kidding again.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:09 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
The growth would just have to be in some of the smaller cities (focusing on increasing use of already developed areas).
Agreed. In its heyday Scranton housed 145,000 residents. Now thanks to massive urban sprawl it only houses 72,500. I'm sure there are many other cities in the Rust Belt and Upper Midwest that used to house millions of more residents as an aggregate and could all very easily house them again. We're currently seeing an influx of Hispanics into our city, and I'm welcoming them with open arms. It's thanks to them that the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area has just logged its first year of population growth in many decades. I say keep 'em coming!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:30 AM

284 posts, read 696,020 times
We had a Question in my class the other day and it was something like this it was " can we fit the whole world population into the state of texas" i said no but the the answer was yes it did not say comfortable so i was wrong so my answer to this question is no we are not overcrowded look at the Midwest there are still towns with 200 people in it and all those cornfields. I dont want us to have more people here but we are not overcrowded

Old 08-15-2008, 10:39 AM

382 posts, read 1,053,452 times
America needs to stop subsidizing new roads and making it to easy for developers to build junk-space.

Portland, Oregon is growing the smartest in the nation.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann_Arbor View Post
America needs to stop subsidizing new roads and making it to easy for developers to build junk-space.

Portland, Oregon is growing the smartest in the nation.
Saying "no" to Wal-Marts, gas stations, and tract-housing? The people in North Carolina would wet their pants!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.