Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 10:47 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,558,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I've always been bothered with the term Midwest. It's not West and it's hardly even mid. Look at the map. Those are eastern states!

How about "Inland Northeast", or "Crossroads", or "Great Lakes States"?

The Wheat Belt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 12:28 AM

58 posts, read 170,079 times
I think states east of the Mississippi River deserve to have a name changed. I always considered any state touching the great lakes to be a Great Lake State anyways. I mean Illinois, Indiana and Ohio have more in common the Dakotas or something. imo

Old 07-12-2009, 11:01 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,398,001 times
The Midwest by historic definition is a perfect name for this region. Back when the region was first founded, states in the Midwest region like Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio were "The West." The Great Plains region made this region the Midwest. For all intents and purposes, this region is halfway in between the east and west. The only other name I could think of for the Midwest is The North Central, since it's halfway in between the Northeast and Northwest.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:02 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,398,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABiologyTeacher View Post
I think states east of the Mississippi River deserve to have a name changed. I always considered any state touching the great lakes to be a Great Lake State anyways. I mean Illinois, Indiana and Ohio have more in common the Dakotas or something. imo
The only problem with that is that New York and Pennsylvania do not share the same culture as the other Great Lakes states.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:57 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
The Midwest by historic definition is a perfect name for this region. Back when the region was first founded, states in the Midwest region like Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio were "The West." The Great Plains region made this region the Midwest. For all intents and purposes, this region is halfway in between the east and west. The only other name I could think of for the Midwest is The North Central, since it's halfway in between the Northeast and Northwest.
The High Plains region is definitely the "West." I know many people out there that despise "Easterners." The High Plains region has nothing at all in common with the agricultural Midwest core.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
There are people in Illinois who hate "easterners". (I used to live there.) The midwest is a large area. There are subregions, just as in other parts of the country.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:27 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
The only problem with that is that New York and Pennsylvania do not share the same culture as the other Great Lakes states.
How do you know, don't you live in St. Louis? Michigan and Ohio have a lot more in common with Upstate NY and Western PA than they do with the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, etc.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:58 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
How do you know he hasn't been to those places many of times though?

Old 07-13-2009, 12:43 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
How do you know he hasn't been to those places many of times though?
ajf131 is the same person who believes that St. Louis is part of the Rust Belt.

Unlike St. Louis, Western Pennsylvania and Upstate New York are very much a part of the Rust Belt and therefore share many of the same characteristics as Upper Midwestern cities like Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland. Both regions have large ethnic European communities, large Catholic majorities, large African American populations, lots of heavy industry related to manufacturing and shipping, as well as other qualities such as being located on the Great Lakes.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:44 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
ajf131 is the same person who believes that St. Louis is part of the Rust Belt.

Unlike St. Louis, Western Pennsylvania and Upstate New York are very much a part of the Rust Belt and therefore share many of the same characteristics as Upper Midwestern cities like Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland. Both regions have large ethnic European communities, large Catholic majorities, large African American populations, lots of heavy industry related to manufacturing and shipping, as well as other qualities such as being located on the Great Lakes.
I agree. Some of the cities that share some similarities to cities in the Great Lakes Region of the Midwest in PA and NY include: Erie, Buffalo, Rochester, Meadville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Youngstown, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.