Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 05:59 PM

164 posts, read 463,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_IS_NORTH View Post
UM NO! Washington DC has much more similarities to its Northern states than it does to its southern states.The small southern influence in DC comes from transplants who originally are from the south and carried some of its culture to parts of DC such as southeast.It does not go both ways.Most Southerners and Washingtonians acknowledge the major difference culturally with DC and the south.
I agree that present-day Maryland and DC are more Northern than Southern in culture, but I don't agree that the Southern characteristics sometimes seen in both places are attributable to transplants from more southerly states. I'd say that Maryland and DC (and Delaware to a lesser extent) began as Southern, or semi-Southern, and that the "small southern influence" is something left over from earlier times.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:01 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
I think this is a pretty good map with the exception of Texas and Oklahoma

Old 11-29-2008, 06:02 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
That was on the thinkquest website, I didn't color that myself lol

Old 11-29-2008, 06:48 PM

130 posts, read 412,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marya View Post
I agree that present-day Maryland and DC are more Northern than Southern in culture, but I don't agree that the Southern characteristics sometimes seen in both places are attributable to transplants from more southerly states. I'd say that Maryland and DC (and Delaware to a lesser extent) began as Southern, or semi-Southern, and that the "small southern influence" is something left over from earlier times.

Well if you go by the Mason Dixon yes it started southern,yet according to the southern confederacy it remained part of the union.However i will agree that places like St Marys county,Maryland along with southern Maryland which extends further south alongside Virginia have some southern culture due to it being close to the south or considered southern Mason Dixon wise.As for DC its small southern influences are predominately from the transplants that come originally from the south.They are usually African americans who assimilated into the northern culture therefore developing a style that i see as a mix between both.While other African americans and DC residents have remained DC residents for decades.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post

Old 11-30-2008, 08:47 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marya View Post
I totally agree with this, thank you!

The fact that the Census Bureau considers Maryland to be a Southern State is good enough for me. It is a Southern State GEOGRAPHICALLY.

Is it part of the so-called "Northeast Corridor" - yes. But is also has very Southern roots, as it is below the Mason-Dixon Line. Something that MD_IS_NORTH would like to wish away, like it never existed. Why do you think the Maryland Highway Department feels compelled to have all of the road signs stating "Maryland. The FREE State"? I suspect that just like MD_IS_NORTH, they would like to wish away any connection to the South and distance themselves from their past.

Last time I checked, you can still get grits with breakfast there.

Southern, but with lots of Northern influences.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

The fact that the Census Bureau considers Maryland to be a Southern State is good enough for me. It is a Southern State GEOGRAPHICALLY.

Is it part of the so-called "Northeast Corridor" - yes. But is also has very Southern roots, as it is below the Mason-Dixon Line. Something that MD_IS_NORTH would like to wish away, like it never existed. Why do you think the Maryland Highway Department feels compelled to have all of the road signs stating "Maryland. The FREE State"? I suspect that just like MD_IS_NORTH, they would like to wish away any connection to the South and distance themselves from their past.

ABSURD!!!!!!

Grits? Your logic is rather illogical and nefarious.Grits are served nationwide including here in the BRONX where i currently reside.

In that case it is Northern because grocery stores like Winn-dixie,Bi-lo,Piggly Wiggly do not exist in Maryland or any other northern state.

Geographically it is a northern state

Politically it is a northern state

If you take any references away from the states and see the distances south and northward the state lays in the northern part of the eastcoast

The climate is very northern.

It's citizens are not extremely religious like those in all southern states from Virginia on down.

To be southern would mean in comparison to southern states and it barely compares.

Just get over it!.

You cannot grasp the fact that the Mason Dixon Line was never credible.The southern confederacy which your totally ignorant of or just choose to ignore even when the Mason Dixon always had real establishment at determining Maryland and DE are northern states.

Just stop blabbering this nonsense and just face the facts.The Mason Dixon line itself is a total contradiction.Everything points to Maryland being a northern state yet you insist on blabbering nonsense like a broken tape recorder repeating what has been debunked post ago by me and others.That southern stubbornness will not work with us informed individuals.

You just want MARYLAND AND DELAWARE to be part of the south likely due to your southern pride.Your post are absurd and your A TOTAL CONTRADICTION.

Missy never stated the states were southern,she mentioned southern areas of Maryland and DC have southern influences due to there close proximity to the first southern state""Virginia"" which is true to an extent and they BEGAN as southern due to the popularity of the Mason Dixon during the past,acknowledging that they are today referred to as Northern.Use common sense and stop trying to twist her post into validating that nonsense you speak.

You chose to ignore every other reference and idealogy including facts that place the state as being geographically Northern.The Northeastern corridor is established and followed by most and you can and will do nothing to change those facts.Not you or any census bureau who chose to go by the Mason Dixon Line which you fail to acknowledge had no real establishment.Until you can wake up and stop this stubborn mentality and fact reality for what it is.You will forever live in a world of delusion.While you the minority claims its southern,the majority will refer to it for what it is""A NORTHERN STATE".

Last edited by MD_IS_NORTH; 11-30-2008 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: lo

Old 11-30-2008, 01:14 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post

LOL Thanks for the qualification, hon. You know I ain't never gonna agree with Texas being grouped along with New Mexico and Arizona! And vice-versa -- as to how they feel -- with them out there!

Old 11-30-2008, 01:25 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

Interesting. but i disagree. If you look at a map, to me at least it looks more northern than southern. But its more middle, hense the mid-atantic, which is a subregion of the NE

Has very southern Roots? Where you are from out of curriosity?

Wishing away our history? why would we do that. our history as a border state makes it so that we were neither northern nor southern. Over time, the southern characteristics have slipped away and sorry to tell you, its a very culturally northern state with hints of souterness in southern maryland and the eastern Shore.

The Free state is a nickname. I don't understand how someone could actually not grasp that concept. Maryland nicknames - the most common two are the old line state, and the free state.

Grits? We do not have grits here. at least not in mid or western Maryland. I have never had grits. I have however had sweet tea, but from someone who doesn't consider herself southern. She either calls herself northern or appalachian

Old 11-30-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Interesting. but i disagree. If you look at a map, to me at least it looks more northern than southern. But its more middle, hense the mid-atantic, which is a subregion of the NE

Has very southern Roots? Where you are from out of curriosity?

Wishing away our history? why would we do that. our history as a border state makes it so that we were neither northern nor southern. Over time, the southern characteristics have slipped away and sorry to tell you, its a very culturally northern state with hints of souterness in southern maryland and the eastern Shore.

The Free state is a nickname. I don't understand how someone could actually not grasp that concept. Maryland nicknames - the most common two are the old line state, and the free state.

Grits? We do not have grits here. at least not in mid or western Maryland. I have never had grits. I have however had sweet tea, but from someone who doesn't consider herself southern. She either calls herself northern or appalachian

This post makes alot more sense than the nonsense he was John is spilling.Maryland is indeed in the northeastern region,as i recall the mid atlantic goes into Northern Virginia and refers to its northern culture,yet most of it is a subregion of the northeast.

Grits can be found in Maryland,just as they can be found in New York.Mostly in restaurants that cater to southern breakfast or southern cooking.There is a restaurant on 125TH and Amsterdam in the Harlem and most of its cooking is influenced by the south and grits are served every morning.Yet Grits in Maryland and Ny is not as common as in southern states.Heck! you can find Scrapple in some restaurants in Maryland and Nyc.His post are neferious and it is becoming pointless to debate with that guy.

Take away any references to the state and look at the distances of states south of it and states north of it.You would quickly reach the northern tip of Maine before you would the southernmost Florida.Therefore the state is inthe northeast.That is only common sense.Look at the geography map and see that it is common sense lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.