Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:26 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
New Hampshire is a bit of an exception though, GraniteStater. It's just about the only state in the Northeast that isn't a total nanny state. It was, after all, the last state in the union to give into the whole "seatbelt law" craze.

Northern New England is historically much more conservative/libertarian in general than the Mid-Atlantic states. In a modern context, New Hampshire pretty much carries the flame as Vermont has been invaded and conquered by NYers, folks from Taxachusetts, and aging hippies. Maine isn't quite as extreme and still has conservative/libertarian pockets, but NH is definately better in this regard.

You can go by the quality of life, but let me just say, GraniteStater, that I would rather live in Georgia over a state like Massachusetts (which probably is significantly higher on the list) any day of the week, anytime.
I've noticed your not much of a lover when it comes to NJ/NY area, and pretty much the whole north east, and I have no problem with that.

I hust thought I'd like to mention that the Mid-Atlantic states aren't states that the normal reteriee would go (it's too fast paced) but there's places along the Jersey Shore, DE, NE PA, and Parts of NY state that see a good amount of retirees.
I for one would never want to move south of Virginia when I retire (but that's just me)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 04:28 PM

302 posts, read 868,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Albany isn't generally considered upstate NY..
Upstate is everything in New York State that isn't either NYC, NYC burbs, or Long Island. Albany is upstate.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:36 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aville239 View Post
Upstate is everything in New York State that isn't either NYC, NYC burbs, or Long Island. Albany is upstate.
I can see many people disagree with me on this issue, and that's alright (It's not one I'm personally invested in - I don't even live in NY)

But I have heard many people (NYers) actually take offense at the "ignorance" of people who think "everything that's not NYC is upstate". I have heard quite passionate arguments against what you're stating. For example, many people, even on citydata, have referred to Albany and everything south as "downstate" NY and some have even advocated that Albany and NYC work to break off and form a separate state from the "true" upstate region.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I've noticed your not much of a lover when it comes to NJ/NY area, and pretty much the whole north east, and I have no problem with that.

I hust thought I'd like to mention that the Mid-Atlantic states aren't states that the normal reteriee would go (it's too fast paced) but there's places along the Jersey Shore, DE, NE PA, and Parts of NY state that see a good amount of retirees.
I for one would never want to move south of Virginia when I retire (but that's just me)
Heh, you are very correct in that statement. Every region has its problems but I've learned over time that certain people can tolerate different problems that others can't abide. The type of problems found in the Northeast just aren't for me, which is why I hope to be quite far south of the Mason-Dixon line in the near future.

Your second statement holds some truth. I think that most people who dislike the Northeast don't hate it for the landscape or what it offers. They hate it for the overpopulation of the metro areas, the cramped feeling, and the extreme regulatory policies of the state governments in question. Personally, I feel as if I am hypervenilating just living here. But yes, if New Jersey wasn't so heavy handed on its negatives, then buying a place somewhere in South Jersey (my favorite area of the state) wouldn't be such a horrible prospect. There are some things I love about New Jersey. But unfortunately from my perspective, the bad outweighs the good.

I appreciate you not attacking me for my viewpoint.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:38 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
The entire state of NY outside of the NYC metro area is not considered to be Upstate. Upstate runs north of the NYC metro area up to the Albany-Glens Falls region and west to about Utica-Rome. North of that line is Northern NY while the area from Utica-Rome out towards Rochester is considered Central NY. Western NY runs from the Rochester area out to the PA border. There are sub regions in these regions such as the Southern Tier which runs from Chautauqua County out to the Bighampton area.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:27 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
From an outsider's POV:

Upstate NY would be everything in NY north and west of the Catskills. Everything.

When I tell people about my trip to Syracuse (including a trip to Cooperstown by way of Utica) that I went on as a boy, I say that I went to Upstate NY, because everybody outside of the east thinks NY = NYC (I still have never been to NYC).

Upstate New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia has an even more broad definition.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:51 PM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika♥Chris♥Lexi View Post
I live in Albany- we most certainly call it upstate NY here?! Ok, I take it back.. I technically live in Schenectady, but it's 10 miles from Albany. Everyone here says 'upstate NY'... what would you classify it as?

Anywho, I think it's funny.. I'm dying to get out of here Why don't I like it here? Well, I don't hate it here- not by a long shot. I think the area has things to offer. That said, I've lived here 30 years and would love change (I'm 30 now, btw, so my whole life). I'm over the snow (we get an average of 65" here), the schools (for the most part) are horrid, crime a little high for my liking, not really enough for me to do.. I prefer to be a bit closer to large cities. NYC is close 'enough' for a day trip for sure (and I do that several times a year).. but it's a bit far for me. I also don't like the prices for a decent house, and the taxes are dreadful.

I would love to move to the 'burbs of Atlanta And we're hoping to do so, but it will take about 5-6 years.
That sounds like an exaggeration. I can see that for maybe a good portion of Schenectady City schools, but not the Capital Region in general. Same with the crime, as the Northeast has the lowest crime rate of any region in the US and I believe that NY State is a middle of the road to lower end in terms of crime rate.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:53 PM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
The entire state of NY outside of the NYC metro area is not considered to be Upstate. Upstate runs north of the NYC metro area up to the Albany-Glens Falls region and west to about Utica-Rome. North of that line is Northern NY while the area from Utica-Rome out towards Rochester is considered Central NY. Western NY runs from the Rochester area out to the PA border. There are sub regions in these regions such as the Southern Tier which runs from Chautauqua County out to the Bighampton area.
All of it is considered Upstate, but there are sub regions. For instance, Syracuse is considered to be in Central NY. Same with Utica-Rome. Binghamton is considered to be in the Southern Tier. Buffalo and Rochester are in Western NY and so on.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:05 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
I am dying to get out of Florida. I want to move back to NY and the 4 seasons. I want SNOW. I don't want endless SUN and SUMMER. If not to NY, then NJ, Pa., Ct., or ANYWHERE in NEW ENGLAND would be heaven for me.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:13 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
I;m a native Southern Californian but left for 15 years. Now, I am back and I currently live in San Diego. I don't care for it, not my cup of tea. I live here because my husband got a job here. I dream about getting out all the time. I would love to move to San Fran or Seattle but I would have to divorce my husband if I wanted to leave

Just curious as to anyone that doesn't like the city they currently live in... tell me why, what brought you there, where would you like to live and what are you doing about getting out?
Well I didn't like my city at first, but it's growing on me. It's really not all that bad. But If I could live anywhere right now, it would be Long Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.