Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 08:17 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
This is crazy. So cool. Prices in the Twin Cities are ridiculous, can't find anything.

Here's a beauty for $200k

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-10716?view=qv
Sure but BIG difference in job opportunities in Tyler vs MSP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 09:03 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
This is crazy. So cool. Prices in the Twin Cities are ridiculous, can't find anything.

Here's a beauty for $200k

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-10716?view=qv
A deal on the coasts.

Old 02-05-2020, 12:33 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
Can't find a single actual house in or near Seattle for <$200k on Realtor .com. There are a few condos in the far-south part of the city and the south suburbs, both working-class and out-of-the-way areas.

Old 02-05-2020, 05:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Sure but BIG difference in job opportunities in Tyler vs MSP.
Tyler has a very robust economy and a very low unemployment rate. It's also a white collar, professional town for the most part. Just to clarify.

You may get paid less but the cost of living is lower. For instance, if you make $150,000 in Tyler, you'd need to make $197,000 in Minneapolis to offset the differences - and this isn't taking into effect taxes.

Also, it's less than 2 hours from the DFW metroplex. Too far to commute, but not too far away to enjoy the amenities if one wants. For instance, my husband and I have friends and family in the metroplex and plus, there's the DFW airports, so we end up driving over there pretty often. In Texas anyway, a two hour drive is nothing - LOL. Houston is three hours away, Austin is five, and El Paso is over eleven hours away by car!

Now, I'm not knocking Minneapolis - I actually really like that city. I'm just pointing out that of course there are differences (don't leave out weather!) but a poor economy or lack of good jobs is not something that comes into play in Tyler.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-05-2020 at 05:47 AM..

Old 02-05-2020, 10:09 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Tyler has a very robust economy and a very low unemployment rate. It's also a white collar, professional town for the most part. Just to clarify.

You may get paid less but the cost of living is lower. For instance, if you make $150,000 in Tyler, you'd need to make $197,000 in Minneapolis to offset the differences - and this isn't taking into effect taxes.

Also, it's less than 2 hours from the DFW metroplex. Too far to commute, but not too far away to enjoy the amenities if one wants. For instance, my husband and I have friends and family in the metroplex and plus, there's the DFW airports, so we end up driving over there pretty often. In Texas anyway, a two hour drive is nothing - LOL. Houston is three hours away, Austin is five, and El Paso is over eleven hours away by car!

Now, I'm not knocking Minneapolis - I actually really like that city. I'm just pointing out that of course there are differences (don't leave out weather!) but a poor economy or lack of good jobs is not something that comes into play in Tyler.
Tyler may have a strong economy, but at the end of the day it’s an area of 200K people 100 miles from Dallas. You might be able to get a good job if you have one lined up, but can your spouse? Jobs (especially good/high paying ones) are limited in an area that size and when one opens up it often go to people who know people. Minneapolis should be a place that’s pretty easy for either/both partners to find good jobs, especially moving there knowing nobody.

I’m sure most people who want big city amenities would rather live in a metro of 3.6M over being 100 miles from one of 7.2M. I’ve been to 18 of the 20 largest metros in the US and I found once you get to a certain population level (3M+) amenities aren’t gonna change drastically until you get to the NY/LA level.

I don’t know about the weather argument either way? For as much as I hate the cold, a Minneapolis winter might be better than a Texas summer?

I’m sure Tyler is a lovely place, and we all know how fond of it you are, but when someone mentions the big difference in job opportunities with it and a major metro you kinda have to just leave it be.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:47 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
A romantically lit crack house(condo?) just outside of Boston.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:33 AM

453 posts, read 345,342 times
There are no single family homes under $200,000 within a 7 mile radius of where I live. Outside that radius, here are the 3 closest, as the crow flies. You'll note: no interior pictures, haha. A good sign! There are huge areas in NJ where this price is just not seen.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3-56011#photo0

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8-92813#photo0

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2-92495#photo0

Old 02-05-2020, 11:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Tyler may have a strong economy, but at the end of the day it’s an area of 200K people 100 miles from Dallas. You might be able to get a good job if you have one lined up, but can your spouse? Jobs (especially good/high paying ones) are limited in an area that size and when one opens up it often go to people who know people. Minneapolis should be a place that’s pretty easy for either/both partners to find good jobs, especially moving there knowing nobody.

I’m sure most people who want big city amenities would rather live in a metro of 3.6M over being 100 miles from one of 7.2M. I’ve been to 18 of the 20 largest metros in the US and I found once you get to a certain population level (3M+) amenities aren’t gonna change drastically until you get to the NY/LA level.

I don’t know about the weather argument either way? For as much as I hate the cold, a Minneapolis winter might be better than a Texas summer?

I’m sure Tyler is a lovely place, and we all know how fond of it you are, but when someone mentions the big difference in job opportunities with it and a major metro you kinda have to just leave it be.
Nyah, not really. I wasn't saying that Tyler has the same job opportunities as a huge metro area (that would be a crazy assertion and one I wouldn't make) but notice that I described the economy of Tyler, which is robust. And Tyler's job growth rate projection is higher than the national average as well.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

I like Minneapolis and I wasn't making any sort of argument one way or the other about the weather. Some people prefer hot summers over cold winters, and vice versa.

Last edited by Yac; 08-19-2020 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: Link to competing site

Old 02-05-2020, 12:57 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Nyah, not really. I wasn't saying that Tyler has the same job opportunities as a huge metro area (that would be a crazy assertion and one I wouldn't make) but notice that I described the economy of Tyler, which is robust. And Tyler's job growth rate projection is higher than the national average as well.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

I like Minneapolis and I wasn't making any sort of argument one way or the other about the weather. Some people prefer hot summers over cold winters, and vice versa.
Ok, but why the need to go on a Tyler boost when someone brought up that the job opportunities are going to be much greater in Minneapolis when comparing houses?

I also don’t know how robust an economy can be when it only has a population of 100K and 200K for the metro and isn’t in, or really near a major metro?

I looked at your links and their job growth for the next ten years is 36% vs 33% for the national average. Yes it’s greater, but not significantly. For context, Dallas and Austin were 46% and 47%, respectively.

The average income is also lower than the national average by $2K at $26K a year. And the household income is $11K less at $42K. Neither one screams, as you called it, “a white collar professional town for the most part”? Not that there’s anything wrong if it isn’t? If it truly is they’re paying their workers peanuts and/or have a ton of low paying jobs bringing that average down as the unemployment rate isn’t high and is slightly lower than the national average.

Last edited by Yac; 08-19-2020 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: Link to competing site

Old 02-05-2020, 01:32 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Within 20 miles of me: Condos. Average and worse areas for the most part. The third one is actually in a very good area.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M22677-58236

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...5_M28161-61552

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M10172-55268
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.