Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:21 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I'm inclined to agree with scratchie that you're making some assumptions that are outrageous at best, stereotypical at worst.
Ya think? I would have thought the "Mike's Hard Lemonade" lunchbox a dead giveway to the nature of my response. Emoticons are so... ... obvious. The best humor (IMO) is subtle.

Quote:
I've encountered a number of domme/butch women whom I believe have no intention of getting a sex change.
The reason, I suspect are the daunting technical challenges involved. There are scads of people on the TG spectrum who are only kept from going all the way with a full out surgical transition by the (justifiable) fear of medical complications.

Quote:
As a straight guy, I don't pretend to know what a gay woman finds attractive about a "soft" or "hard" domme woman. But I think I know enough to say that they're not looking for a man. You might be trying to be funny or outlandish on purpose but I doubt that most of them compare favorably to John Goodman. Perhaps closer to the SNL impersonation of Justin Bieber?
I stopped watching TV around the time Eddie Murphy left SNL. I have missed an entire generation of celebrities... Madonna, Spears, Beiber, Winehouse, Cyrus... ... accounts of their talents (or lack of) and celebrity antics filter through my psychic firewall enough so that I am not barred from participating in the Politics and Other Controversies forum. Not that the standards for informed opinion are all that high there, but I do digress... ... where were we... oh... you say these women are not looking for men... well why on earth not?? Why date a facsimile when you can have the real McCoy (or Goodman)? If its a woman you want, there are tons of those, and if its a guy... Bob's your uncle. Why do 'guys' who are actually women with socks in their briefs hold any appeal? For that matter, why do men with birth control pill prescriptions and A-cup breasts hold such a fascination for straight men? It's all so very confusing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 09:25 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Ya think? I would have thought the "Mike's Hard Lemonade" lunchbox a dead giveway to the nature of my response. Emoticons are so... ... obvious. The best humor (IMO) is subtle.
I always thought that the best humor was, you know, funny, but to each his own, right?

Quote:
The reason, I suspect are the daunting technical challenges involved. There are scads of people on the TG spectrum who are only kept from going all the way with a full out surgical transition by the (justifiable) fear of medical complications.
Is this another attempt at humor? Help me out, here.

Quote:
I stopped watching TV around the time Eddie Murphy left SNL.
Don't dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back there.

Quote:
where were we... oh... you say these women are not looking for men... well why on earth not?? Why date a facsimile when you can have the real McCoy (or Goodman)? If its a woman you want, there are tons of those, and if its a guy... Bob's your uncle. Why do 'guys' who are actually women with socks in their briefs hold any appeal? For that matter, why do men with birth control pill prescriptions and A-cup breasts hold such a fascination for straight men? It's all so very confusing...
Simple answer:

* If you're serious, it's none of your business. People like what they like and you don't get to have any say over that.

* If you're joking, maybe you should start watching TV again, so you learn how to write a joke that has actual humorous content.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:43 AM

20,378 posts, read 14,647,504 times
I think that what people prefer in a romantic partner and why is a whole other discussion in and of itself.

Certainly who a person wants to sleep with should have no bearing on what they wear and how they behave in the workplace, as one's sex life shouldn't have anything to do with one's work unless one works in adult entertainment or something...

Old 02-26-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
* If you're joking, maybe you should start watching TV again, so you learn how to write a joke that has actual humorous content.
Wow man... like... I don't know what time it is where you are at but it's like only 9:00 over here and its way too early to be so... ... hostile. Chill out and save some of that ... pique... for a thread about school shootings or something. Point taken about people liking what they like. As for the rest of it... this is C-D, not SNL. I'm awesome.

H

Old 02-26-2015, 10:12 AM

339 posts, read 334,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
This gave me a bad case of the !!! too...the best way to put it is, go Google some articles about their "animal shelter" in Virginia. They are the opposite of what they'd like you to think they are. Unless of course the theft and murder of pets is what you are wanting to support. They're bad, bad news. Donate to local animal rescues or orgs that do real good work if you love animals, conservation programs, sanctuaries, they all need money.

But not to go too far OT here, the bottom line is either she's violating the dress code or she isn't. A woman doesn't need to dress in feminine attire unless the dress code says she has to. Some, in some workplaces, actually do. Dress code is not covered by discrimination/anti-discrimination codes. After all, in some workplaces there are standards like uniforms. An employer has the right to determine dress code and to tie it to gender if they want. After all, women in the military are even allowed more leeway with their hairstyles than men are. Is that a double-standard? Maybe, but it's the employer's rules and their right to make them. Frankly, I think that if the standard at the workplace is khakis and collared shirts, she's got no business wearing work boots and wallet chains or whatever, she should uphold the standard that the men have to meet. I don't think that using Skoal should be permitted in a professional setting unless you're some kind of very blue collar worker. I don't think offensive tattoos should be allowed to be visible on anyone. I always say, when in doubt, flip the coin. Is she doing things that NO ONE should be permitted to do, or would the things she's doing be OK if a straight man did them? Working out the answer to this question will show you whether you're disgusted at her getting away with things she shouldn't be able to really....or if you just don't like it because it violates gender standard norms that you think should be upheld universally.

Here's another question...do you think that men SHOULD be able to dress in female attire in a professional workplace (assuming it's done tastefully) or do you think that men should have to dress like men and women should have to dress like women? In complaining about a double standard, you are indicating that you want fairness, and I'm curious which direction of fairness you would prefer if it were up to you. Not judging, just asking the question.
You offer some good questions!

OK--for right or wrong, the main idea that kept popping into my head when I would be confronted with seeing Mickey, sitting in the breakroom with her wallet chain and chongo boots, reading a Motor Trend magazine, was along the lines of:

"Man, she sure makes no bones about being a big fat lezbian; she flaunts it and basically just dares anyone to say anything about it. Hmmm...I wonder how it would fly if some male gay was just as aggressive and obvious with his sexual preferences? I don't think it would fly, in fact, he would never get hired. So...this is unfair, right?; It's a double standard! I have known some realy nice gay guys whom I was fond of and I hated to see them get discriminated against. Why is Mickey getting a free pass? I dunno. I think I'll ask the peeps at City Data if I am thinking about this too much or if there IS a double standard going on. And if so...why?

So there you have it. Thus this thread. Now, how would I have it if left up to me? Well, at the risk of being called old-fashoined or a prude or maybe even a fascist, I think the respective genders should act and dress accordingly, i.e. in between the lines set by accepted societal and business norms, while in the workplace. But what they do or act like or how they dress on their own time is their business.

I also feel, as I said before, that a business owner has the right to hire and fire who he wants. Yes, including a Mickey. If she applied for a job at my, say, office supply store as a sales associate and I interviewed and didn't hire her and she came back and asked why I should be able to say, "Because I don't like the way you dress and I feel it is inappropriate for a business, especially one who deals with customers all day--so I am afraid you will offend some of my more conservative-minded clients.Thus possibly cost me money."

At this point I am compelled to clarify: I am not electing not to hire a Mickey for being Gay. Thus, if she said that she would dress in traditional female garb and ditch the wallet chain and the Skoal, well, it I though she was otherwise a good candidate than sure, I would hire her.

Yes--I should be able to say that and not face any sort ofpossible discrimination litigations.

Again--just my opinion. I have already stated this, and have also admitted that I would abide by this idea of biz owner's rights even if his personal preferences excluded me from getting hired, for whatever reason.

And here comes the hate mail................!

Last edited by Der Vogel; 02-26-2015 at 10:24 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 10:15 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
"Man, she sure makes no bones about being a big fat lezbo; ..."
This comment says way more about you than it does about Mickey.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:22 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,133 times
Quote:

Good grief! You must be a joy

Old 02-26-2015, 10:23 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
OK--for right or wrong, the main idea that kept popping into my head when I would be confronted with seeing Mickey, sitting in the breakroom with her wallet chain and chongo boots, reading a Motor Trend magazine
How is sitting quietly in the breakroom reading a magazine flaunting anything? I get the sense that if a woman was wearing short, tight, cleavage-baring clothes to work, you wouldn't have any problem with her "flaunting" her sexuality or sexual preferences.

Quote:
I also feel, as I said before, that a business owner has the right to hire and fire who he wants. Yes, including a Mickey. If she applied for a job at my, say, office supply store as a sales associate and I interviewed and didn't hire her and she came back and asked why I should be able to say, "Because I don't like the way you dress and I feel it is inappropriate for a business, especially one who deals with customers all day--so I am afraid you will offend some of my more conservative-minded clients.Thus possibly cost me money."
Or, if she's the best candidate for the job, hire her and make it clear that there is a professional dress code expected for all of your employees. If no one says anything to her (or to HR about her) how are expectations made known?

Old 02-26-2015, 10:27 AM

339 posts, read 334,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
How is sitting quietly in the breakroom reading a magazine flaunting anything?
read past posts about her attire, attitude, manner, visiting girlfriends--who look just like her, et al.

the breakroom is just one place I see her, obviously. and is not to be construed as the instance when I first thought about this whole thing. it was merely one example. (although she did stare at the butt of a hot female co-worker who was bending down in front of her to get a coffee filter from a bottom drawer! So, ya know...this helped a bit too.) LOL)

Old 02-26-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
We agree on something. In his defense, however, I think he comes by his (bigoted) opinions honestly. I've known some escapee's from AZ and they say the place is chock full of people like Der Vogel. DV, I've got a german userid as well so I'm going to go easy on you. I'm not german and there probably isn't any place for someone who looks like me in your world. I've been having fun with this thread but at its core is some serious failure to communicate. You are young, I think. Too young to have such hardliner opinions I think but possibly young enough to overcome them. Do try. Otherwise by the time you get to my age this planet is just going to be the solar systems biggest slag heap.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates