Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:29 AM

339 posts, read 334,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
This comment says way more about you than it does about Mickey.
What? That I notice the obvious and it poses questions in my head which I wish to share?

Hmm..you're right!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 10:34 AM

20,366 posts, read 14,644,040 times
Well, I won't go into detail in another post here because I think I've said most of what I could say. But to sum it up, I think it is more fair to say that she's using her orientation as a shield to hide behind in pushing the boundaries of your companies dress standards. Not so much that she is flaunting being a lesbian. I mean we had an intern here who wore little skinny jeans and little skinny shirts and would literally skip down the hall, and informed anyone who would listen that he was a dancer and was going to school to be a hairstylist, in his lisping voice. You'd have to be a moron not to know he was gay...but he was nice, and likeable. He didn't violate any policies. No one had an issue with him "flaunting" the many little traits that added up to knowing he was a guy fella. No one cared. Of course in my office he could have worn lipstick and no one would have cared.

I don't see why "Mickey" needs to hide the fact that she is a lesbian, behind a feminine persona, for work. But if the guys in the office don't dress like big bad mother truckers, then maybe she shouldn't get to, either...

Old 02-26-2015, 10:42 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^ this: that last 'graph!

And this is really all I'm sayin' folks.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:01 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,989,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
read past posts about her attire, attitude, manner, visiting girlfriends--who look just like her, et al.
You haven't actually given us any concrete examples of her "attitude" or "manner", just your interpretation that somehow her very existence is "daring" you to say something about it. Has anyone else complained? Does she make inappropriate comments?

Her attire is apparently non-sexual and in compliance with your company's dress code. So, 100% irrelevant. Her girlfriend's looks are 100% irrelevant and her girlfriend's clothing is, as well, unless she's wearing something inappropriate, which she isn't, if she dresses just like Mickey.

So unless you can give us an actual example of something specific that Mickey has done wrong, you really have no business complaining about her attire, attitude, manner or girlfriends.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
But if the guys in the office don't dress like big bad mother truckers, then maybe she shouldn't get to, either...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think DV has given us a specific example of what anyone else in the office wears. In any case, she complies with the dress code, and apparently nobody has complained, and nobody from HR has asked her to dress differently. I don't see any reason whatsoever why it should be an issue, except that certain people don't seem to be able to stop obsessing over the fact that she's a lesbian.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:05 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
How is sitting quietly in the breakroom reading a magazine flaunting anything? I get the sense that if a woman was wearing short, tight, cleavage-baring clothes to work, you wouldn't have any problem with her "flaunting" her sexuality or sexual preferences.
He might. He is obviously one of those tightly buttoned down individuals who wouldn't even appreciate the entertainment that a generously exhibitionist female co-worker might offer. Its interesting, however, in the context of this thread... tight, cleavage baring clothes... is she advertising to men? Or women? Is this all too confusing?

Old 02-26-2015, 11:07 AM

^^^^^

please try to read my posts better before complaining about lack of info on my part.

I already addressed (see what I did there? LOL) how we dress in my workplace.

Last edited by Der Vogel; 02-26-2015 at 11:15 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
^^^^^

please try to read my posts better before complaining about lack of info on my part.

I already addressed (see what I did there? LOL) how we dress in my workplace.
Please copy and paste it if you think it supports your position. I don't see how it's relevant since Mickey is in compliance with the dress code.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
He might. He is obviously one of those tightly buttoned down individuals who wouldn't even appreciate the entertainment that a generously exhibitionist female co-worker might offer. Its interesting, however, in the context of this thread... tight, cleavage baring clothes... is she advertising to men? Or women? Is this all too confusing?
Oh...I truly appreciate attractive women being exhibitionist and wearing tight clothes.

I remember the reason being.....Oh yeah...that's right...because I am straight. LOL

See? A man appreciating hot females is what we call "normal" and "appropriate."

But as much as I adore hot women flaunting it, I also feel that too much of it can also be inappropriate in the workplace.

And...uhh.. Anyone who knows me would LOL at you referring to me as "buttoned down." I am the anti-button down! LOL.

I ride a motorcycle and play Jazz and hate ties and have lost more than one job for having very impulsive attitude and dislike for corporate environments. I am also a military veteran with the requisite mistrust of authority.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:15 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Well, I won't go into detail in another post here because I think I've said most of what I could say. But to sum it up, I think it is more fair to say that she's using her orientation as a shield to hide behind in pushing the boundaries of your companies dress standards...
I don't personally think that she thinks she is pushing the boundaries of anything. Dress standards? What dress standards? This is Prescott, AZ, not Chicago, IL or NYC. We don't even know whether it is an IT support center or an investment bank. As has been noted, the woman has not been fired or told to clean up. I think the reason there aren't any flaming queens being obvious about it is because it's Prescott, AZ. Some people just can't handle any deviation from a traditional presentation or more to the point... some people can't handle other people presenting a public persona that runs counter to the one that they personally project and is the only one they find acceptable for everyone.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates