Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2022, 04:43 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,861,640 times

Advertisements

Spending money we don’t have seems the perfect solution. I’m ready to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 07:26 PM

6,161 posts, read 7,237,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I think TBT understands that. I think they're saying they wish that was an option in Greensboro.
I could never understand that. The ACC headquarters is in an office park in Greensboro but will be in uptown in Charlotte. It was the same with VF Corp. It was in an office park campus here in Greensboro but when they moved to Denver they located downtown. I'm not sure why there is a resistance for headquarters to move to downtown Greensboro. It can't be cost reasons because the downtown markets in both Charlotte and Denver are far more expensive. The city is building parking decks like crazy in downtown Greensboro so parking can't be the issue.

As for the ACC moving to Charlotte, I read an editorial from a Raleigh media source and it said the move to Charlotte was basically more about desire to move there, not a financial need. The big airport hub is a bogus excuse. They had to fabricate reasons to leave Greensboro for Charlotte because Greensboro already has what the conference needs. So just think of something Greensboro doesn't have and use it as an excuse. Its about a commissioner who is use to the big city life of Chicago. Greensboro was a cultural shock to him. He likes the bright lights and big city. I'm sure Charlotte will build its own ACC Hall of Fame in uptown and it will probably be the Tajmahal compared to the Hall of Champions in Greensboro. They might as well convert the Hall of Champions into another use for the coliseum.

But some people are upset that money is coming from taxpayers to move the headquarters to another city within the state. One person said they are sick of North Carolina taxpayers funding vanity projects for Charlotte. The irony is after all this the ACC will be falling apart with rumors of a number of school bolting from the ACC to another league. Could this be the Big East all over again? Seems like dejavu with the ACC. The ACC left its roots as an athlete college conference for greed and glamor. The Big East made that mistake.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 09-20-2022 at 07:52 PM..

Old 09-20-2022, 08:06 PM

405 posts, read 318,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I could never understand that. The ACC headquarters is in an office park in Greensboro but will be in uptown in Charlotte. It was the same with VF Corp. It was in an office park campus here in Greensboro but when they moved to Denver they located downtown. I'm not sure why there is a resistance for headquarters to move to downtown Greensboro. It can't be cost reasons because the downtown markets in both Charlotte and Denver are far more expensive. The city is building parking decks like crazy in downtown Greensboro so parking can't be the issue.

As for the ACC moving to Charlotte, I read an editorial from a Raleigh media source and it said the move to Charlotte was basically more about desire to move there, not a financial need. The big airport hub is a bogus excuse. They had to fabricate reasons to leave Greensboro for Charlotte because Greensboro already has what the conference needs. So just think of something Greensboro doesn't have and use it as an excuse. Its about a commissioner who is use to the big city life of Chicago. Greensboro was a cultural shock to him. He likes the bright lights and big city. I'm sure Charlotte will build its own ACC Hall of Fame in uptown and it will probably be the Tajmahal compared to the Hall of Champions in Greensboro. They might as well convert the Hall of Champions into another use for the coliseum.

But some people are upset that money is coming from taxpayers to move the headquarters to another city within the state. One person said they are sick of North Carolina taxpayers funding vanity projects for Charlotte. The irony is after all this the ACC will be falling apart with rumors of a number of school bolting from the ACC to another league. Could this be the Big East all over again? Seems like dejavu with the ACC. The ACC left its roots as an athlete college conference for greed and glamor. The Big East made that mistake.

Agreed.

Old 09-20-2022, 08:10 PM

405 posts, read 318,315 times
Quote:

Agreed

Old 09-20-2022, 08:12 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,060,589 times
Quote:

For one, the ACC heading to Charlotte soon after Swofford's departure was a terribly kept secret. It has literally nothing to do with a big city commissioner looking for the bright lights of the big city and more to do with better positioning the league for financial opportunities. That's especially important when the league doesn't exactly sell itself like the SEC.

And yes, the ACC will likely fall apart. But it will be for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do leaving its roots. If anything, holding onto its roots too long may end up a reason for its downfall though reactionary leadership and poor negotiation of TV/media rights are the biggest culprits.

This move is a quarter century overdue.

Old 09-20-2022, 09:53 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,861,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
For one, the ACC heading to Charlotte soon after Swofford's departure was a terribly kept secret. It has literally nothing to do with a big city commissioner looking for the bright lights of the big city and more to do with better positioning the league for financial opportunities. That's especially important when the league doesn't exactly sell itself like the SEC.

And yes, the ACC will likely fall apart. But it will be for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do leaving its roots. If anything, holding onto its roots too long may end up a reason for its downfall though reactionary leadership and poor negotiation of TV/media rights are the biggest culprits.

This move is a quarter century overdue.
That makes no sense. There will be no new money from the move. There will be money going out because of this move.

Old 09-20-2022, 10:05 PM

37,898 posts, read 42,033,653 times
During a call with journalists Tuesday, Phillips called the decision “difficult” but said financial incentives offered by Charlotte “were incredibly impressive.” He did not provide details.

Why??? Charlotte was the one being pursued the entire time; why is the city ponying up "incredibly impressive" incentives for an organization that was all but set on relocating there anyway?

Old 09-20-2022, 10:10 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,167,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
During a call with journalists Tuesday, Phillips called the decision “difficult” but said financial incentives offered by Charlotte “were incredibly impressive.” He did not provide details.

Why??? Charlotte was the one being pursued the entire time; why is the city ponying up "incredibly impressive" incentives for an organization that was all but set on relocating there anyway?
They quite possibly floated the Orlando option to get some money out of Charlotte, even though they probably had already decided behind closed doors to relocate there.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:17 AM

10,397 posts, read 11,525,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
They quite possibly floated the Orlando option to get some money out of Charlotte, even though they probably had already decided behind closed doors to relocate there.
Lol, the ACC seems to have decided to move its headquarters to Charlotte 25 years ago but John Swofford seemingly single-handedly blocked that move out of a since of wanting to preserve some uniqueness of tradition and history within the conference.

After Swofford retired as commissioner it seemed to have been a no-brainer that the ACC was going to move its headquarters to Charlotte in pursuit of increased financial opportunities with the corporate mega-players there.

But, like other posters have opined, the move of the ACC headquarters to Charlotte seems to be too-little, too-late as the handwriting appears to be on the wall after the Big Ten’s $7 billion television deal with three networks (FOX, NBC and CBS) last month that reportedly increases the conference’s member payout to as much as $100 million per year, per school.

Big Ten completes 7-year, $7 billion media rights agreement with Fox, CBS, NBC (ESPN, 18 August 2022)

At this point, it’s likely not a matter of if, but when the ACC basically is dissolved and absorbed into both the SEC and the Big Ten. And it’s probably also a matter of which current ACC schools go to the SEC and which current ACC schools go to the Big Ten.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:52 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,867,939 times
Charlotte has an NFL stadium and a NBA arena in its downtown. The ACC is going to be downtown. Charlotte has a ton of hotels downtown. And yes it has a major airport that has a ton of non stop flights.

I'm not so sure why this move is hard to understand. With all of those variables in Charlotte, the only reason to stay in Greensboro is because you are already there. Its just not a better place to have your headquarters. The American moved its HQs recently from Providence to Dallas...it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point