Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2022, 10:42 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,283,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
If the ACC is not careful its going to make the same mistake the Big East made and the Big East is a shell of what it once was. If the ACC wants to forget its roots and a community that supported it through its entire history, then I hope it goes down in flames.
No, they have to move to Charlotte. Greensboro made these decision a long time ago when it decided to remain a nice and controlled growth place to live…sort of an overgrown Mayberry (stick to the roots kind of town) - whilst it’s once two peer metros became the Roman army. The comparison with the Big East is off base. They were primarily basketball schools with no football,even a watered down ACC will still have some solid programs with the potential to complete. Of course it won’t be a fair fight with the two behemoth conferences. Still, there will be a lot of internal frustrations with these mega conferences. That’s why I think either CFB becomes something else….not NCAA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 07:33 AM

855 posts, read 421,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
No, they have to move to Charlotte. Greensboro made these decision a long time ago when it decided to remain a nice and controlled growth place to live…sort of an overgrown Mayberry (stick to the roots kind of town) - whilst it’s once two peer metros became the Roman army. The comparison with the Big East is off base. They were primarily basketball schools with no football,even a watered down ACC will still have some solid programs with the potential to complete. Of course it won’t be a fair fight with the two behemoth conferences. Still, there will be a lot of internal frustrations with these mega conferences. That’s why I think either CFB becomes something else….not NCAA.
The strong take from the weak. It's not fair, but life seldom is.

Old 07-05-2022, 08:48 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,060,589 times
More and more, I'm starting to believe that the ACC may never even make its move to Charlotte. This week could be a pivotal week in the realignment story.

A scenario I'm seeing as more and more possible is that once the Big 10 and SEC pilfer what they want right now, the Big 12 will come in nearly immediately afterwards and take the best of what's left. We'll see sort of a P3 going on in that scenario (2 heavyweights and sort of a post Miami/VT departure from the Big East lighter power conference).

A few years later, realignment will happen further with the Big 10/SEC pilfering the rest of the remotely desireable from the lightest of the P3 (which will become P2).

Old 07-05-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
More and more, I'm starting to believe that the ACC may never even make its move to Charlotte. This week could be a pivotal week in the realignment story.

A scenario I'm seeing as more and more possible is that once the Big 10 and SEC pilfer what they want right now, the Big 12 will come in nearly immediately afterwards and take the best of what's left. We'll see sort of a P3 going on in that scenario (2 heavyweights and sort of a post Miami/VT departure from the Big East lighter power conference).

A few years later, realignment will happen further with the Big 10/SEC pilfering the rest of the remotely desireable from the lightest of the P3 (which will become P2).
Maybe, but I’d wait to see what happens with Notre Dame. Most if not all schools in the ACC will land somewhere that’s ok. Only a few schools in existing conferences had a chance in hell of completed for a CFB championship anyway. No way some of the existing schools in the SEC and B1G remain in those conference, the TV execs will demand they get booted like an overpaid employee. It’s just a matter of time. So, why panick if you’re Clemson? Plus the GOR is going to be a hefty exit fee. Remember, the BIG is only paying MD and Rutgers partial payouts through 2027, then they are “supposed” to receive full annual pay shares then. By that time, they may be forced out or only be able to remain in those leagues with reduced pay share. The TV execs ain’t gonna keep doling out that kind of cash to the Illinois, Indianas, etc for CFB? Right now, they wil have access, but sooner or later, you got either produce to increase your viewership or getting bounced. I think this is where it is going. Especially if you are in weak media market and not really competitive.

Basically, the CFB-lite conferences will still make a lot of money, probably, 40 million+, but will not receive as many bids to the CFB playoff. You can’t simply bar them from getting in an expanded playoff, it will dilute the product and results in much lower viewership or eyeballs, counter to what the TV execs want.

The existence of the ACC hinges on one school, UNC. Sure, other schools may leave, but if UNC stays in the ACC, it will exist in some fashion and probably receive 1 high seeded automatic playoff bid.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 07-05-2022 at 11:30 AM..

Old 07-05-2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Maybe, but I’d wait to see what happens with Notre Dame. Most if not all schools in the ACC will land somewhere that’s ok. Only a few schools in existing conferences had a chance in hell of completed for a CFB championship anyway. No way some of the existing schools in the SEC and B1G remain in those conference, the TV execs will demand they get booted like an overpaid employee. It’s just a matter of time. So, why panick if you’re Clemson? Plus the GOR is going to be a hefty exit fee. Remember, the BIG is only paying MD and Rutgers partial payouts through 2027, then they are “supposed” to receive full annual pay shares then. By that time, they may be forced out or only be able to remain in those leagues with reduced pay share. The TV execs ain’t gonna keep doling out that kind of cash to the Illinois, Indianas, etc for CFB? Right now, they wil have access, but sooner or later, you got either produce to increase your viewership or getting bounced. I think this is where it is going. Especially if you are in weak media market and not really competitive.

Basically, the CFB-lite conferences will still make a lot of money, probably, 40 million+, but will not receive as many bids to the CFB playoff. You can’t simply bar them from getting in an expanded playoff, it will dilute the product and results in much lower viewership or eyeballs, counter to what the TV execs want.

The existence of the ACC hinges on one school, UNC. Sure, other schools may leave, but if UNC stays in the ACC, it will exist in some fashion and probably receive 1 high seeded automatic playoff bid.
ND is the next domino to fall (or not). Once ND's position is known is when the next moves are made accordingly.

Either way, the ACC's days are numbered. It might be a year or two or even a decade... but the ACC is simply treading water with dew options. How big the P2 wish to get and how desperate others not involved with the P2 are to get out to something better (Big 12) will dictate how much longer the ACC has to live.

Old 07-06-2022, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
ND is the next domino to fall (or not). Once ND's position is known is when the next moves are made accordingly.

Either way, the ACC's days are numbered. It might be a year or two or even a decade... but the ACC is simply treading water with dew options. How big the P2 wish to get and how desperate others not involved with the P2 are to get out to something better (Big 12) will dictate how much longer the ACC has to live.
The ACC will be around if UNC stays in some form or fashion. College sports and CFB was built on regionalism and this greed to expand to satisfy TV execs reminds me of Nascars expansion. It will turn off a lot of CFB fans who will find something else to do. UNC does not want to join the SEC, period. The B1G will make it more difficult to recruit the Southeast. Just stay in the ACC, put the HQ in Charlotte and get what you can out of the leftover schools, they will need a home. Make the 50+ million a year, the ACC will get an automatic high seed bid…while the P2 will probably receive 4 each…and you keep all the regional CBB ties. But they’ll probably bolt to the B1G for the cash….and loose a ton of their fanbase being the states flagship program.

Just my opinion but I think it’ll be easier to recruit at home if most of their games are still on the east coast. Nobody wins in this mad dash for cash but the TV execs bonus payouts. Not the student athletes with a tremendous amount of travel, east to west coast. Oh well….

Old 07-06-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
The ACC will be around if UNC stays in some form or fashion. College sports and CFB was built on regionalism and this greed to expand to satisfy TV execs reminds me of Nascars expansion. It will turn off a lot of CFB fans who will find something else to do. UNC does not want to join the SEC, period. The B1G will make it more difficult to recruit the Southeast. Just stay in the ACC, put the HQ in Charlotte and get what you can out of the leftover schools, they will need a home. Make the 50+ million a year, the ACC will get an automatic high seed bid…while the P2 will probably receive 4 each…and you keep all the regional CBB ties. But they’ll probably bolt to the B1G for the cash….and loose a ton of their fanbase being the states flagship program.

Just my opinion but I think it’ll be easier to recruit at home if most of their games are still on the east coast. Nobody wins in this mad dash for cash but the TV execs bonus payouts. Not the student athletes with a tremendous amount of travel, east to west coast. Oh well….
I totally agree that this mad dash for cash is ruining what once was a great sport that was built on regionalism. Ultimately, what built college football was Virginia Tech vs Virginia (or even VMI). UNC vs NC State and Duke and Wake. It wasn't built on Alabama vs Texas or Ohio State vs USC (though those are entertaining on their own).

But the separation between the haves and the have nots is getting unsustainable. One thing I do wonder though is that if there is a massive split between the P2 and the "best of the rest"... what happens if the P2 implodes?

Old 07-06-2022, 08:13 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,236,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
The strong take from the weak. It's not fair, but life seldom is.
And it's because Greensboro allowed it to happen. Greensboro is continuing to struggle from decades of complacency and those who wanted to hold Greensboro back from becoming the next Charlotte. Even today that is the mindset of some in leadership including the mayor.

Old 07-06-2022, 01:32 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,889,753 times
Quote:

I don't see how the ACC will be an automatic bid league, with or without UNC. If the ACC loses Clemson, FSU, and Miami they are way too weak.

The Big 12 is talking about merging with the remaining Pac 12 teams, which I think will be stronger than the ACC.

I mean as I'm writing, I guess it is possible that they get 1 automatic bid since they will have to take someone out side of the super conferences. Maybe each of the super conferences (Big Ten and SEC) get 2 teams each, and then the Pac12/Big12 and ACC get 1 each, and then there are 2 at large?

Old 07-07-2022, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I don't see how the ACC will be an automatic bid league, with or without UNC. If the ACC loses Clemson, FSU, and Miami they are way too weak.

The Big 12 is talking about merging with the remaining Pac 12 teams, which I think will be stronger than the ACC.

I mean as I'm writing, I guess it is possible that they get 1 automatic bid since they will have to take someone out side of the super conferences. Maybe each of the super conferences (Big Ten and SEC) get 2 teams each, and then the Pac12/Big12 and ACC get 1 each, and then there are 2 at large?
Because sport cycle reigns are cyclical. And there will be solid CFB programs with several of the leftovers. And much like CBB, parity is here for CFB. Meaning, why the hell has Wake Forest been better than Miami….coaching, parity and player buy-in. If CFB ever gets to one and done like CBB, creates even more parity. Of course, the lure of the P2 money will be there, but like a Gonzaga, why? Absolutely, the ACC will get a bid. That’s why the panic to get in the P2 is a bit ridiculous…..not as much money but other schools will be fine. Take a chill pill, ESPN and Fox will need to fill those time slots and create enough interest for other conferences…if not , viewership is gonna take a big hit. Conferences aren’t driving these changes, it’s TV execs. They’re dictating who goes where….isn’t it obvious?

When Texas and Oklahoma wanted to join the SEC, the commish went straight to TV execs with does this make sense? What is the bottom line? Execs put out a number…deal done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point