Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2022, 10:47 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,237,827 times

Advertisements

The city of Greensboro is desperate in at least keeping Greensboro in the tournament rotation. They are going as far as wanting to change the name of the Greensboro Coliseum to the ACC Coliseum. Regardless of what happens with the conference headquarters the city should remain in the tournament rotation. Its the largest arena of all the host cities and its neutral territory midway on the ACC footprint map.. Greensboro doesn't have to be a "big city" to host the tournament. Its been hosting it for decades more than any other city and has hosted it better than any other city. The ONLY reason to pull it out of Greensboro is image.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-caroli...edium=referral

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-30-2022 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 11:39 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,060,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The city of Greensboro is desperate in at least keeping Greensboro in the tournament rotation. They are going as far as wanting to change the name of the Greensboro Coliseum to the ACC Coliseum. Regardless of what happens with the conference headquarters the city should remain in the tournament rotation. Its the largest arena of all the host cities and its neutral territory midway on the ACC footprint map.. Greensboro doesn't have to be a "big city" to host the tournament. Its been hosting it for decades more than any other city and has hosted it better than any other city. The ONLY reason to pull it out of Greensboro is image.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-caroli...edium=referral
Other than possessing an arena, what else qualifies Greensboro to host the ACC-T vs Charlotte (just as neutral) or DC (Also fairly neutral with a northern lean)?

Just because a city has hosted for decades does not qualify that city to continue to do so. As for hosting better, that's debatable. Jim Boeheim would disagree but it's all about what the visitors value as part of the experience.

Old 06-30-2022, 01:22 PM

Interesting enough, just a day later USC and UCLA just announced a move to the Big 10.

On the surface this might not seem to mean a lot. But it could turn up the heat towards superconferences more quickly than I had alluded to earlier in the thread.

As in, the ACC might be irrelevant in 4-5 years.

Old 06-30-2022, 03:07 PM

927 posts, read 756,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Interesting enough, just a day later USC and UCLA just announced a move to the Big 10.

On the surface this might not seem to mean a lot. But it could turn up the heat towards superconferences more quickly than I had alluded to earlier in the thread.

Oh, it means a lot! The ACC is in big trouble. Frankly, my opinion is that conferences as we know them are doomed. The upper tier of college football will coalesce around a 25 to 45 team superconference. Many ACC teams won't make the cut. The only question is what happens to basketball (and to a lesser degree, all other sports).

Old 06-30-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Other than possessing an arena, what else qualifies Greensboro to host the ACC-T vs Charlotte (just as neutral) or DC (Also fairly neutral with a northern lean)?

Just because a city has hosted for decades does not qualify that city to continue to do so. As for hosting better, that's debatable. Jim Boeheim would disagree but it's all about what the visitors value as part of the experience.
There is no logical reason to move the tournament out of Greensboro other than image. The city has been and is fully capable of hosting the tournament. There is room for both Charlotte and Greensboro in the rotation. It doesn't have to be either or. In addition the Greensboro Coliseum Complex has facilities all under one roof which allows for events such as ACC fan fest and there is the ACC Hall of Champions there. Again if it leaves Greensboro its all about image with the ACC wanting to become a mini NCAA where the big events are hosted in big cities. But if Greensboro is repetitively good enough for events such as the National Figure Skating Championships where people fly in from all over the country, its good enough for the less prestigious ACC Tournament. Having a smaller airport is also a lame excuse because High Point continues to host the International Home Furnishings Market which draws in a lot more people and they come from around the world. That's why I laugh when that excuse is given to move the conference headquarters of about 50 people.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 06-30-2022 at 03:23 PM..

Old 06-30-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Oh, it means a lot! The ACC is in big trouble. Frankly, my opinion is that conferences as we know them are doomed. The upper tier of college football will coalesce around a 25 to 45 team superconference. Many ACC teams won't make the cut. The only question is what happens to basketball (and to a lesser degree, all other sports).
I know. That's my point. I said earlier in the thread the league would be irrelevant in 10 years (pages 13 & 14 dive into this). With today's news, it might be irrelevant before they return their U-Hauls in Charlotte.... but in all seriousness it could only be 2-3 more years.

Today's move can't be overstated in its importance. It shows Texas/Oklahoma was just the very beginning. I expect two major leagues (Big 10 and SEC). The SEC punched first with UT and OU. USC and UCLA was the counter punch. I had thought there might be a Big 10/Pac-12 merge... but I think this counters that and shows the Big 10 is gunning for the very best.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:02 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,355,125 times
Quote:

Who will get Clemson, the SEC or the Big Ten!

I don't think this will happen, but if the Big Ten can add Notre Dame and Clemson, along with USC and UCLA, that would be crazy.

Eventually there's going be just two premier college football super leagues, the ESPN League (SEC) and the Fox League (Big Ten), probably 20 teams each.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:47 PM

Another argument for moving the conference out of Greensboro is money. Supporters of the move say the conference needs to leave Greensboro for this reason. However supporters of Greensboro have countered that the Southeastern Conference, arguably the nation's most financially successful athletic conference, is headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama, a market smaller than the Triad

Old 06-30-2022, 05:42 PM

927 posts, read 756,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Another argument for moving the conference out of Greensboro is money. Supporters of the move say the conference needs to leave Greensboro for this reason. However supporters of Greensboro have countered that the Southeastern Conference, arguably the nation's most financially successful athletic conference, is headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama, a market smaller than the Triad
What does that mean? Money in what way? I haven't heard anyone say anything about the move being about monry, per se. Its about having better airline connections, better access to labor, etc.

Old 06-30-2022, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
What does that mean? Money in what way? I haven't heard anyone say anything about the move being about monry, per se. Its about having better airline connections, better access to labor, etc.
Apparently one of the reasons is that the conference can make more being in a larger market. I've heard that several times. The ACC just don't want to come out and admit that they believe the image of the ACC would improve being located in a larger city...but does the ACC's image really needs improving? Its like the conference has forgotten why its a conference in the first place. It's about the schools and their sports programs not glamorous big name cities. Its hard to believe better airline connections is an issue for a headquarters with 50 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point