Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2022, 10:48 PM

405 posts, read 317,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDbp View Post
Most of the major universities do chase research dollars. One of the big funders of university research is the National Science Foundation (NSF). Lots of this money goes to health sciences and similar. For example, in 2020, UNC ranked 13th with expenditures of 1.2 billion. NC state ranked 51st with expenditures of 0.5 billion.

https://universitybusiness.com/the-t...on-rd-in-2020/

Grant money is big business. WAY back when I was in grad school, during one class we were asked to prepare a simple mock research proposal. At my alma mater (U of AZ), we were told the "overhead" the university took (essentially as rent for the professor's laboratory space) was around 45%. Was told some universities took as much as 75%.
YES, I think that most research universities could give a "blank-ity blank" about the current state of affairs of college "sports realignment" issues. It's all about the Federal Research Dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 11:14 PM

405 posts, read 317,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDbp View Post
Most of the major universities do chase research dollars. One of the big funders of university research is the National Science Foundation (NSF). Lots of this money goes to health sciences and similar. For example, in 2020, UNC ranked 13th with expenditures of 1.2 billion. NC state ranked 51st with expenditures of 0.5 billion.

https://universitybusiness.com/the-t...on-rd-in-2020/

Grant money is big business. WAY back when I was in grad school, during one class we were asked to prepare a simple mock research proposal. At my alma mater (U of AZ), we were told the "overhead" the university took (essentially as rent for the professor's laboratory space) was around 45%. Was told some universities took as much as 75%.
You forgot Duke University. Duke excels in basketball and lacrosse. AND research dollars.

Old 07-26-2022, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 826 times
So what if the ACC moves to Charlotte or where ever. Having them headquartered in Greensboro has no real prestige for the city - it's not like they take up 10 floors of a downtown office building. The ACC is likely to merge with some other conference in the chase for bigger TV contracts and dollars anyway. It's not like all the North Carolina teams are moving too, Greensboro will continue to be a tournament town.

Old 09-08-2022, 05:23 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,053,856 times
It looks like new ACC commissioner Jim Phillips may be bolting. He's a strong candidate to take over as Team President of the Bears. Doubt this impacts the move to Charlotte or anything but if this happens, moving the ACC from Greensboro to Charlotte may end up his only notable accomplishment with the conference.

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicag...eam-president/

Old 09-20-2022, 08:46 AM

https://greensboro.com/sports/colleg..._medium=social

And the move anyone who understands league politics knew was coming for years is official. The ACC is relocating to Charlotte.

Old 09-20-2022, 09:08 AM

511 posts, read 510,712 times
I hate to see them go but at least they stayed in NC. I hope it pays off for them. One thing that bugs me about VF and now the ACC is that they left to occupy downtown spaces, while both built big suburban HQs in Greensboro. Wish they would have added to the urban core here, but it is what it is.

Old 09-20-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
I hate to see them go but at least they stayed in NC. I hope it pays off for them. One thing that bugs me about VF and now the ACC is that they left to occupy downtown spaces, while both built big suburban HQs in Greensboro. Wish they would have added to the urban core here, but it is what it is.
I mean, it wasn't just known that they were leaving Greensboro. They wanted to end up in Charlotte. They'd been doing more and more in Charlotte anyway and the qualifications listed for their next HQ basically described Charlotte (though maybe a few other places as well).

That all said, it's probably a move the ACC is a decade late in making.

The most discouraging (but expected) piece though was about wanting to be somewhere that can host championships. Based on what was said, Greensboro may not be on the radar for future ACC Tournaments any more.

Last edited by HRVT; 09-20-2022 at 10:00 AM..

Old 09-20-2022, 10:23 AM

511 posts, read 510,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I mean, it wasn't just known that they were leaving Greensboro. They wanted to end up in Charlotte. They'd been doing more and more in Charlotte anyway and the qualifications listed for their next HQ basically described Charlotte (though maybe a few other places as well).

That all said, it's probably a move the ACC is a decade late in making.

The most discouraging (but expected) piece though was about wanting to be somewhere that can host championships. Based on what was said, Greensboro may not be on the radar for future ACC Tournaments any more.
From the stories I read, it seemed to me like they were speaking more about football. Obviously, the Spectrum Center would be a great place to hold basketball tournaments, but I took at as them focusing on football with BOA Stadium. Although I'm sure there will be many more hosted in Charlotte now. The language in that bill to keep them in NC mentioned hosting 2 of 4 ACC Tournaments in Greensboro. So at least there is that.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:26 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,163,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
Companies and other organizations primarily seek downtown locations which will add to their overall image and prestige, not subtract from it.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Companies and other organizations primarily seek downtown locations which will add to their overall image and prestige, not subtract from it.
I think TBT understands that. I think they're saying they wish that was an option in Greensboro.

Last edited by HRVT; 09-20-2022 at 12:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point