Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2021, 05:40 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times

Advertisements

Raleigh is now pursuing the ACC headquarters. The problem with this is that there are three ACC teams in the Triangle one of them in Raleigh. Raleigh would not be neutral territory for an ACC headquarters. If the ACC decides to leave Greensboro, it would seem to make more sense than Charlotte. It does have the ACC history along with strong growth trends and a big airport hub. But the other out of state schools would likely balk at that. Maybe there is a spot in Zebulon next to the Mudcats Stadium lol

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/mayor-h...ters/19970862/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 08:18 PM

676 posts, read 493,155 times
Raleigh is not getting the headquarters.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:28 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,163,444 times
The state is moving forward with plans to move the UNC System from Chapel Hill to downtown Raleigh. Maybe the ACC will wise up and follow suit.

https://www.wral.com/budget-plans-mo...mpus/19988744/

Old 11-19-2021, 09:43 AM

68 posts, read 43,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
The state is moving forward with plans to move the UNC System from Chapel Hill to downtown Raleigh. Maybe the ACC will wise up and follow suit.

https://www.wral.com/budget-plans-mo...mpus/19988744/
If the ACC must leave Greensboro, then believe it or not .....I couldn't agree with you more. I'd rather see it in Raleigh than Charlotte.

Old 11-19-2021, 10:20 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,053,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjgso View Post
If the ACC must leave Greensboro, then believe it or not .....I couldn't agree with you more. I'd rather see it in Raleigh than Charlotte.
I seriously doubt they'd pick Raleigh since Raleigh is home to an ACC institution and there are two more within just a few miles.

Typically conferences avoid putting HQ in the city of a member institution unless it's difficult to avoid.

Charlotte is the ACC's clear answer here.... if they decide to move at all (and I'm sure they will).

Old 11-19-2021, 10:56 AM

68 posts, read 43,620 times
I totally understand the need for a neutral city, although Charlotte does not truly solve that problem (per Lefty Driesell). However, Charlotte has contributed so little to the ACC's "brand" and history ...it's somewhat sickening to see them get it.

Old 11-19-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjgso View Post
I totally understand the need for a neutral city, although Charlotte does not truly solve that problem (per Lefty Driesell). However, Charlotte has contributed so little to the ACC's "brand" and history ...it's somewhat sickening to see them get it.
I just believe its nothing more than an image thing. There is no practical reason for leaving Greensboro. The ACC is the largest and most prestigious power conference in the United States and that all happened with the headquarters being located in Greensboro. The mission of a college sports conference has nothing to do with where the headquarters is located.

Old 11-19-2021, 12:44 PM

80 posts, read 69,411 times
The ACC isn’t the most prestigious power conference in the US. It’s at best third.

Old 11-19-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R View Post
The ACC isn’t the most prestigious power conference in the US. It’s at best third.
Depends on how its broken down. Overall or a specific sport? When it comes to football the SEC outshines the ACC.

Old 11-19-2021, 02:00 PM

676 posts, read 493,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Depends on how its broken down. Overall or a specific sport? When it comes to football the SEC outshines the ACC.
And football money runs the NCAA and drives all of the conference realignments. It was different 30 years ago... but now it's clearly Football. And like I said earlier, no way that Raleigh is getting the ACC headquarters.... it offers nothing that Charlotte doesn't have, and is less appealing on many fronts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point