Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 12:08 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times

Advertisements

I love it how the first time my mother went there she said it felt very "cosmopolitan". big thumbs up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 08:38 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBorn View Post
I love that everyday, since moving here last June, at least one person in my family, if not everyone, will say "I love it here!"

I love that I/we have yet to find even one thing that I/we don't like/love about living here!

Old 01-01-2012, 10:43 AM

4 posts, read 135,646 times
Default Considering a move to Greenville

My husband and I currently live in Hilton Head but are transplants from the NY area. We visited Greenville and loved the feeling. The posts indicate it is a great place to live. Does anyone know of any gated communities that are close to the center of town? Being in our early 60's we want an easy way to meet new people. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-01-2012, 10:58 AM

4 posts, read 135,646 times
Love the positive feedback - thanks! I am hoping someone will also respond neighborhoods and communities to consider.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:45 PM

18 posts, read 30,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin View Post
What I love about Greenville:

I love the seasons.
I love that it can snow on Tuesday, but you can be golfing by Saturday.
I love that a 300k house here costs over a million dollars in the city i moved from.
I love that a round of drinks costs less than $50.
I love that people wave at you even if they don't know your name.
I love that you can send your kid to public school and not have to worry.
I love that the first question asked when you meet someone isn't "what do you do"
I love that before people come visit they say "why did you move to Greenville" and when they leave they say "what an amazing place"
I love that I can see the stars at night
I love that people go to church...even though I'm a huge liberal and not a churchgoer myself
I love how close the mountains are
I love how close the beaches are
I love that I can find a redneck hick bar and a four star restaurant within ten minutes of one one another
I love that I forgot my wallet at a place here once and they told me not to worry about it
I love that people hold the door for you and say thank you when you hold it for them
I love that we're Yankees and people don't give us any **** for it...well they give us some ****...but thats ok.
I love that every single day my wife and I look at each other and say "wow...that would have never happened back where we're from"

Ok...you're turn. Go!
Well said Cabin. Those are many of the same things I love about the Greenville area (I'm from Orlando). Some of the other things I love:

I love going to see the Greenville Drive. Great ball park, great price, great atmosphere.

I love downtown Greenville. So many times I've taken visiting family there and they are just amazed by Main Street, Falls park, etc...

I love that Greenville is not too big, not too small. It doesn't have small town problems or big city problems (unless you catch Woodruff Road at the wrong time).

I love that Greenville is a modern city with traditional values and *mostly* genuinely nice people.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:02 PM

26 posts, read 54,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveSouthCarolina View Post
You are so RIGHT! Why not ask some Florida Natives (Natives that were there before the Invasion) HOW THEY FEEL?
Florida Native HERE!! Born and raised. I can say I remember an easier time in Florida when you didn't have to speak two languages just to be considered for employment and when it actually took you 10 minutes to get somewhere....especially in the summer months *snowbirds*.

I will say though with all it's faults after spending the past two months in South Carolina I can't wait to go back to the warm, shorts, and tshirts weather.

We will still continue to come and vacation here. We bought a house here and will still pay taxes on it. So you will get our money every now and then.

Let's just put it this way, every state has positives and negatives. Just because some ppl are a certain way doesn't mean they are all that way.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:04 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,186,541 times
It may be a smaller city, but boy, is the City of Greer fast and efficient!

The street sign where you turn to come to our home was not readable, and it was bent. People had a hard time finding the street to turn at, especially at night.

I went on line and found the department that took care of these issues and emailed the head of the dept, Mr. Burns just last night, meaning he got my email when he arrived at work this morning. Late afternoon I get an email back from him saying the sign was replaced today - went and looked, and sure enough, it was.

This was really shocking, surprising and unbelievable to me. This would NEVER have happened in SOFLA, and if it would, trust me, it would have taken forever!

So kudos to the City of Greer and Mr. Burns for being so efficent, and so quick. I'm impressed!!!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:20 AM

5 posts, read 10,474 times
This is awesome… I love reading posts like this one. I’m currently in Florida but in about a month or 2, we should be in Greer and I know that we will feel the same way you do. I can’t wait to make my own post about my personal experience once I’m settled in…
Thank you for this…

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin View Post
What I love about Greenville:

I love the seasons.
I love that it can snow on Tuesday, but you can be golfing by Saturday.
I love that a 300k house here costs over a million dollars in the city i moved from.
I love that a round of drinks costs less than $50.
I love that people wave at you even if they don't know your name.
I love that you can send your kid to public school and not have to worry.
I love that the first question asked when you meet someone isn't "what do you do"
I love that before people come visit they say "why did you move to Greenville" and when they leave they say "what an amazing place"
I love that I can see the stars at night
I love that people go to church...even though I'm a huge liberal and not a churchgoer myself
I love how close the mountains are
I love how close the beaches are
I love that I can find a redneck hick bar and a four star restaurant within ten minutes of one one another
I love that I forgot my wallet at a place here once and they told me not to worry about it
I love that people hold the door for you and say thank you when you hold it for them
I love that we're Yankees and people don't give us any **** for it...well they give us some ****...but thats ok.
I love that every single day my wife and I look at each other and say "wow...that would have never happened back where we're from"

Ok...you're turn. Go!

Old 02-07-2012, 02:56 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liss0916 View Post
This is awesome… I love reading posts like this one. I’m currently in Florida but in about a month or 2, we should be in Greer and I know that we will feel the same way you do. I can’t wait to make my own post about my personal experience once I’m settled in…
Thank you for this…
I used to live in Florida too. The biggest difference: it's mostly hot/warm year round in Florida. One year at Christmas it was 82 degrees in Palm Beach.

I love the seasons here. I think a serious sun worshipper could do well in Florida but here you get the cold and the hot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area