Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Sunshine View Post
Agreed! Having lived in both cities, I can say that many Charlestonians don't even know Greenville exists! When I say how much I love living in Greenville, and I list all of the reasons, they seem shocked!

Their general opinion of Greeville is that is is "backwards, county and full of rednecks" and I sincerely know this from my time spent in Charleston. So sad that they don't know what they are missing!
I think a lot of this mentality has to do with the fact that a lot of what Greenville offers is relatively new, the entire downtown area has developed over the past 10 years and was much less desirable before that, while Charleston is an old city, and has been known for its southern charm for many many years.
I know before I moved down here the people I knew who had actually been through or stayed in Greenville had an extremely low opinion of it, but hadn't been in more than a few years. I think we are a developing city and still have a long way to go, but I moved here because of the progress I saw happening in the few visits I made, and I haven't been disappointed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 09:04 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I think a lot of this mentality has to do with the fact that a lot of what Greenville offers is relatively new, the entire downtown area has developed over the past 10 years and was much less desirable before that, while Charleston is an old city, and has been known for its southern charm for many many years.
I know before I moved down here the people I knew who had actually been through or stayed in Greenville had an extremely low opinion of it, but hadn't been in more than a few years. I think we are a developing city and still have a long way to go, but I moved here because of the progress I saw happening in the few visits I made, and I haven't been disappointed
All of this has me wondering..... WHY is S. Carolina so sectionalized?? Why don't we all seem to be one Big Happy Family, proud of our ENTIRE state (like I am)?

Old 04-06-2011, 02:37 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,467,794 times
Quote:
Very true. I also think part of it, however, is the mentality by some Charlestonians that the world revolves around Charleston. Make no mistake, it's a cool city that is widely famous for its history, restaurants, charm, and coastline. But it's not the be-all, end-all many people there think it is.

As I type this, I realize that some people might think that some of us are overly proud of Greenville.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:36 PM

182 posts, read 492,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Very true. I also think part of it, however, is the mentality by some Charlestonians that the world revolves around Charleston. Make no mistake, it's a cool city that is widely famous for its history, restaurants, charm, and coastline. But it's not the be-all, end-all many people there think it is.

As I type this, I realize that some people might think that some of us are overly proud of Greenville.

I have lived, worked, owned property and socialized in both cities, so on this topic, I consider myself a "self-appointed expert". Charlestonians are arrogant about their city to a point of nausea. It's almost rude how they shun the Upstate like it's not even worthy of acclaim or recognition.

Having lived in both cities I can say that for me personally, I'd rather live in a metro area whose economy is more industry/business based as opposed to an economy that is tourism based. I personally like Greenville better and I can say this because I have truly LIVED in both cities not just visited them. Granted Charleston has a buzz about it and the ocean is wonderful. The restaurants are impeccable and the city and history are so unique. I absolutely love Charelston, but quality of life and overall value for the cost of living? Greenville has it beat hands down in my opinion.

Greenvillians constantly express love and affection for the city of Charleston. We visit there, recommend it to newcomers and friends, and are proud that we live only a short drive from one of the most fabulous little cities in the world. However, Charlestonians scoff at the idea that another city in South Carolina might be just as desirable (if not more desirable) of a place to live. After all, Charleston is the center of the universe!

I remember Greenville from the late 80's and it has come a long way and is moving in the right direction. Overly proud? You betcha...and we should be!

Old 04-06-2011, 06:39 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Sunshine View Post
I have lived, worked, owned property and socialized in both cities, so on this topic, I consider myself a "self-appointed expert". Charlestonians are arrogant about their city to a point of nausea. It's almost rude how they shun the Upstate like it's not even worthy of acclaim or recognition.

Having lived in both cities I can say that for me personally, I'd rather live in a metro area whose economy is more industry/business based as opposed to an economy that is tourism based. I personally like Greenville better and I can say this because I have truly LIVED in both cities not just visited them. Granted Charleston has a buzz about it and the ocean is wonderful. The restaurants are impeccable and the city and history are so unique. I absolutely love Charelston, but quality of life and overall value for the cost of living? Greenville has it beat hands down in my opinion.

Greenvillians constantly express love and affection for the city of Charleston. We visit there, recommend it to newcomers and friends, and are proud that we live only a short drive from one of the most fabulous little cities in the world. However, Charlestonians scoff at the idea that another city in South Carolina might be just as desirable (if not more desirable) of a place to live. After all, Charleston is the center of the universe!

I remember Greenville from the late 80's and it has come a long way and is moving in the right direction. Overly proud? You betcha...and we should be!
Great perspective, and wonderful post!

Old 04-06-2011, 06:42 PM

182 posts, read 492,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Great perspective, and wonderful post!

Thanks UpstateBooster! I'm just proud of my little city and happy to share how wonderful it is to live here...

Old 04-08-2011, 05:27 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,858,573 times
I love that I don't have to deal with Frost Heaves here in the Spring (ask ex-Northerners, they'll know) and I love that I can actually get 60,000 miles use on my 60,000 mile-rated tires!

I love that it seems like every weekend there's some sort of festival/event going on!

I love the amount of restaurants that have outdoor seating

College Football Saturdays in the Fall - need I say more? (and being relatively close/day's drive to so many college stadiums)

Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 PM

36 posts, read 106,453 times
I agree with a lot of the people above (less the drivers part)

I love brunch downtown, I love free parking downtown, the swamp rabbit trail and the fact thats its not a fake, pretentious city but its clean, comfortable and classy at the same time.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:46 PM

282 posts, read 750,717 times
Quote:
I tried to rep you on this one but I must need to spread it around first.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:15 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post

I thought of this thread last night as I was sitting in beautiful Fluor Field and watching the Drive beat Charleston. I certainly felt "overly proud".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area