Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2023, 08:12 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,364,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
When we moved here in 2003 there was a residence where QT is now and a gas station where the now closed KFC is. I can't think of any fast food we are missing that isn't already in Mauldin or nearby. That would be a good spot for White Castle to enter the southeast!
How about a Roy Rogers? They are returning to Kentucky and Ohio this year. Expanding in Virginia and Maryland. Their roast beef sandwich is much better quality than Arby's. Also famous fried chicken, good burgers and a fixins bar.

As for White Castle, they opened their world's largest location in Orlando about 2 years ago. Although that is a tourist destination more so than a southeast expansion. Perhaps they would consider Myrtle Beach. But SC is more likely Krystal territory, although they seem to have failed in Greenville in recent years but still have an Upstate location above Gaffney near Blacksburg. I enjoyed Krstal in Georgia recently before Christmas.

Also that former KFC spot may be a good location for Whataburger which is reportedly expanding in the Upstate this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 09:12 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,022,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Something has been quite wrong there for a bit, I believe.

Not sure if it's been staffing or what, but I'd often see that place closed when I would drive past on my way from work.

Good location, so I'd be surprised if someone doesn't snatch it up so far as the property soon. They have the light there at QT for easy in and out.
There is another KFC over at Donaldson Center on Hwy 25. I have stopped there quite a few times. Probably the best area one I have been to. Always have great service and a fast drive thru.

Old 01-03-2023, 10:07 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Nope. Boards up on the windows and sign is now blank.

Now.. I'll agree.. It was closed. the sign was 'blank'..

However.. I did not see boards over the windows. You know they only had a handful of windows at the front, right? That place looked like it had boarded windows when it was open.

Anyway.. I'll pay more attention in the AM when it's light and not pouring rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
There is another KFC over at Donaldson Center on Hwy 25. I have stopped there quite a few times. Probably the best area one I have been to. Always have great service and a fast drive thru.

I've always kinda wondered how the Hardee's down that way has remained in business.

being Hardee's.. I'm sure the answer involves the term "breakfast".. But that guy is just in an odd spot.

That KFC and the handful of other things down there.. Are probably the biggest growth anywhere on the southern connector.

Old 01-04-2023, 06:24 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,022,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

I've always kinda wondered how the Hardee's down that way has remained in business.

being Hardee's.. I'm sure the answer involves the term "breakfast".. But that guy is just in an odd spot.

That KFC and the handful of other things down there.. Are probably the biggest growth anywhere on the southern connector.

Yep that Hardee's near White Horse and Hwy 25 always seems to have a long line during breakfast hours.

That area down around the Connector has become quite the little fast food corridor -Arby's Waffle House, BK, Bo's, KFC, Wendy's, McD's, Subway and The Clock. Lots of growth going on south of there on 25 too. Some new industry and housing developments going up around the Food Lion there in the Piedmont area. Puzzling why Ingle's doesn't replace that dump of a tiny store next to the connector. It's disgusting for a modern day grocery store. I went in there last summer and it looked dirty with fly's swarming all around the bakery items.

Last edited by vistatiger; 01-04-2023 at 06:46 AM..

Old 01-04-2023, 06:51 AM

428 posts, read 362,948 times
Quote:
Yep that Hardee's near White Horse and Hwy 25 always seems to have a long line during breakfast hours.

That area down around the Connector has become quite the little fast food corridor -Arby's Waffle House, BK, Bo's, KFC, Wendy's, McD's, Subway and The Clock. Lots of growth going on south of there on 25 too. Some new industry and housing developments going up around the Food Lion there in the Piedmont area. Puzzling why Ingle's doesn't replace that dump of a tiny store next to the connector. It's disgusting for a modern day grocery store. I went in there last summer and it looked dirty with fly's swarming all around the bakery items.
I drive right by there all the time from Augusta. I agree. That store looks like crap.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:

So far as I know, that was, up until they remodeled it about 6 years ago or so now.. The final "Disco Ingles"

You can still see that inside.. When they remodeled, they JUST did the outside. It's still all those 70's autumn colors on the inside.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
How about a Roy Rogers? They are returning to Kentucky and Ohio this year. Expanding in Virginia and Maryland. Their roast beef sandwich is much better quality than Arby's. Also famous fried chicken, good burgers and a fixins bar.

As for White Castle, they opened their world's largest location in Orlando about 2 years ago. Although that is a tourist destination more so than a southeast expansion. Perhaps they would consider Myrtle Beach. But SC is more likely Krystal territory, although they seem to have failed in Greenville in recent years but still have an Upstate location above Gaffney near Blacksburg. I enjoyed Krstal in Georgia recently before Christmas.

Also that former KFC spot may be a good location for Whataburger which is reportedly expanding in the Upstate this year.

I haven't been to Roy Rogers since I lived in Woodbridge, VA in the early 90s. I remember the chicken being good.

Old 01-09-2023, 07:50 AM

Well it looks like the last man standing is down. China at Hudson Corners is closed. I used to stop there for eggrolls walking home from Eastside High in the mid 90s. It lasted the longest in that center.

Last edited by frenzy_army; 01-09-2023 at 08:13 AM..

Old 01-09-2023, 08:00 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,364,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
I haven't been to Roy Rogers since I lived in Woodbridge, VA in the early 90s. I remember the chicken being good.
Yes back then Roy Rogers was a dominant contender in Northern Virginia and the Northeast. More commonplace than McDonald's. Then Marriott sold out to Hardee's and an unsuccessful conversion strategy backfired. Their largest Maryland franchisee is revitalizing Roy Rogers today. Indeed they have very good fried chicken as well as real roast beef and hamburgers.

Back then Marriott also sold their Bob's Big Boy franchise. Today fewer locations remain in Michigan, California, and the independent Frisch's operator in Kentucky and Ohio. Shoney's has declined as an independent concern no longer affiliated.

Old 01-09-2023, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post

Manassas, here.. Stonewall Jackson class of '91.. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Yes back then Roy Rogers was a dominant contender in Northern Virginia and the Northeast. More commonplace than McDonald's. Then Marriott sold out to Hardee's and an unsuccessful conversion strategy backfired. Their largest Maryland franchisee is revitalizing Roy Rogers today. Indeed they have very good fried chicken as well as real roast beef and hamburgers.

Back then Marriott also sold their Bob's Big Boy franchise. Today fewer locations remain in Michigan, California, and the independent Frisch's operator in Kentucky and Ohio. Shoney's has declined as an independent concern no longer affiliated.

Not really.. By 91 things had already blown up.. Roy's had been converted to Hardee's.. Some of them sold off to McDonalds.. The CF was well underway by '91.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area