Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 05:32 AM

192 posts, read 429,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
With the for sale sign going up, the property could be bought by anyone, including the state.

The realignment and intersection improvement will help. Blue Ridge Plantation up Milford Church Road is adding many new residences, increasing population and vehicle traffic. Making left turns from SC-101 or Milford Church Road is risk of do or die. Being able to make a turn can take five minutes when traffic is nonstop.
I live in Blue Ridge Plantation. I hope and PRAY that the state will purchase that land and fix that intersection. It is a train wreck.

I was just saying that the state obviously hasn't already purchased it because there's a for sale sign in the parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Kmart in Berea on Sulphur Springs Rd Closing. Liquidation Sale started today.
Pharmacy closes tomorrow...I did some merch work for them....

Old 11-12-2012, 06:19 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
Kmart in Berea on Sulphur Springs Rd Closing. Liquidation Sale started today.
Kmart has been a long stay in the Berea as a discount department store alternative to Walmart. I am glad it lasted long enough to compete with Walmart on White Horse Road and the safer alternative in Travelers Rest.

Kmart's closing will create a vacant shopping center at Sulphur Springs Road and Hunt's Bridge Road, which has seen two Winn Dixie stores. The site remains prime real estate for an area that is capable of redeveloping itself. A supermarket with a pharmacy department would not have any difficulty operating here as Winn Dixie was a long stay also.

I wonder if any other Kmart stores in South Carolina are closing. Kmart on Rivers Avenue in North Charleston has been very close to closing after ceasing its supermarket department. Kmart on Wade Hampton Boulevard has been rumored to close for years given competitition from Walmart and Target up the road in Taylors.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
The customers are being sent to the Bi-Lo on Fars Bridge Road (hope I have that right, quoted to me by the pharmacist).

I know the Sulphur Springs store was a lower performer, according to the employees.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:33 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Kmart has been a long stay in the Berea as a discount department store alternative to Walmart. I am glad it lasted long enough to compete with Walmart on White Horse Road and the safer alternative in Travelers Rest.

Kmart's closing will create a vacant shopping center at Sulphur Springs Road and Hunt's Bridge Road, which has seen two Winn Dixie stores. The site remains prime real estate for an area that is capable of redeveloping itself. A supermarket with a pharmacy department would not have any difficulty operating here as Winn Dixie was a long stay also.

I wonder if any other Kmart stores in South Carolina are closing. Kmart on Rivers Avenue in North Charleston has been very close to closing after ceasing its supermarket department. Kmart on Wade Hampton Boulevard has been rumored to close for years given competitition from Walmart and Target up the road in Taylors.

The Wade Hampton store is not closing. I asked them this weekend. I think Kmart/Sears strategy is to close underperforming stores as the lease comes up for renewal. The Wade Hampton store seems to do a brisk business as does Church Street and Mauldin. I would guess Church Street is their best performing store in the Greenville area.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
The customers are being sent to the Bi-Lo on Fars Bridge Road (hope I have that right, quoted to me by the pharmacist).

I know the Sulphur Springs store was a lower performer, according to the employees.
Bi-Lo will see an increase in pharmacy business from Kmart's pharmacy. I do not know who acquired Winn Dixie's pharmacy customers when it closed in 2005. CVS transferred its customers from its closed Cedar Lane Road store over to Old Buncombe Road.

Quote:
The Wade Hampton store is not closing. I asked them this weekend. I think Kmart/Sears strategy is to close underperforming stores as the lease comes up for renewal. The Wade Hampton store seems to do a brisk business as does Church Street and Mauldin. I would guess Church Street is their best performing store in the Greenville area.
Kmart on Wade Hampton Boulevard had better business prior to 2004 when Winn Dixie was open. Customers were able to shop for groceries at Winn Dixie, then stop in at Kmart for everything else for clothes, electronics, home goods, garden, pharmacy, etc. When Winn Dixie closed in 2004, a time Walmart in Taylors added its supermarket, Kmart saw a decrease in business. The decrease was not to the point yet where it would close being an underperforming store.

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 11-12-2012 at 07:03 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 PM

Kmart on Sulphur Springs Road will close by Sunday, 27 January.

Kmart store in Greenville to close | GSA Business

Old 01-06-2013, 05:23 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
Bakers Shoe Store near Guess closed at Haywood Mall so vacant space available for another retailer. Its that time of year when retailers start closing underperforming stores and some shuttering altogether. Will be interesting to see who goes the next few months.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:32 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Bakers Shoe Store near Guess closed at Haywood Mall so vacant space available for another retailer. Its that time of year when retailers start closing underperforming stores and some shuttering altogether. Will be interesting to see who goes the next few months.
About the few stores remaining in the bankrupt Bakers chain:

Bakers in talks to sell shoe business : Stltoday

Old 01-07-2013, 10:16 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Quote:
Not surprising. A lot if not all of their stores are closing. Several of the remainig ones were supposed to become Aldo but that didn't even work out: Aldo tries to get out of agreement to buy 52 Bakers stores - St. Louis Business Journal Pretty obvious to tell that it was the company that was the problem and not the local market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area