Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 09:48 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertmm View Post
J Peters "Metro", off of Woodruff Road in Greenville, is closed... they even took their sign down. Disappointing for me, as it was one of my favorite places to go for an excellent salad!
Not surprising. Hard for restaurants to make it past Sticky Fingers as it ends in a dead end and they can't be seen from Woodruff Road. Indigo Joe's, Azia, Blue Fire Grill, etc. all had the same fate. Personally, I would never open a restaurant on that road mainly due to lack of visibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 12:23 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Not surprising. Hard for restaurants to make it past Sticky Fingers as it ends in a dead end and they can't be seen from Woodruff Road. Indigo Joe's, Azia, Blue Fire Grill, etc. all had the same fate. Personally, I would never open a restaurant on that road mainly due to lack of visibility.
Agree - a very unfortunate end for a great restaurant. Too bad they can't seem to open a path down Market Point Drive to Miller Road or Old Sulphur Springs Rd. With the number of people who hate traversing Woodruff Rd, this would seem to be a magic fix: full access to the Whole Foods / Shops @ Gridlock center and create a traffic level so that restaurants in that area would survive.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:45 PM

411 posts, read 853,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Acme General Store did fill a void for the need of an outdoor outfitter between Greenville and Spartanburg. Having the store was nice, but it was very limited on its products and selection. Likely with a decline in business, it reduced its hours of operation.

Yesterday was the last day for general retail sales.

Another outdoor outfitter/sports store would thrive well in Greer.
I don't know about that. Greer, while strategically located between two cities, does not have much claim on the outdoors market. The park is nice to be sure, but the city has never shown any inclination to encourage the physical fitness of its residents or to cater to those who are athletic or outdoors-oriented. There's no Swamp Rabbit trail. The sidewalks are a mess. I run quite frequently in downtown and the adjacent neighborhoods and I worry about tripping and failling. There are no bike lanes. While feasible in theory, Greer needs to step up in order to compete with other towns. Heck--even Spartanburg has the Mary Black Rail Trail.

As for Acme, the owner is a very astute businessman. He gave it two years to turn a profit and tried various different tactics to draw people in. Originally, it had a fairly good selection. But as time went by, it began to dwindle. He also owns Wild Ace. It seems that the decision to open a Wild Ace in Spartanburg coincided with the closing of Acme. While I hate to see a retail outlet close, I am beginning to wonder if downtown Greer is a restaurant center. We live a scant three blocks away and spend a great deal of time down there. The restaurants are generally full most days; on the weekends, places like Wild Ace are packed. Someone would be well served to follow that model and open an additional restaurant with a different theme in downtown.

While there are a handful of retail stores that have made it there, the additional of extra retail just hasn't panned out. My mother owned the Grapevine on Trade Street and decided to throw in the towel at the end of January in favor of focusing on craft shows. She had a great following but sales were so unpredictable. She would have a $500 day and then do $10 the next. Retail is a hard nut to crack. It's like that in a lot of small town downtowns that are trying to revitilize. You will notice even downtown Greenville has gone through waves where there were more restaurants than retail. You have to really corner a market that is not easily accesible on the internet or provide such fabulous customer service and a unique product that you inspire a loyal following. But even then...people are lazy. They'd rather go to Wal-Mart or Target if they can get it there. Sigh.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,379 times
Default J Peters restaurant closing in Greenville, SC

Was surprised to find it out of business today, had ate there just 3 weeks earlier.
Always thought it was a poor choice for location, but still great food and service.
Not visible from Woodruff Road, and unless you were familiar with their other locations and knew this restaurant was there, you'd have passed it right by. Owner should have chosen a more visible location and done more advertising. What ever other business goes in there may suffer the same fate as it's on a dead end street. No traffic back that far.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:59 AM

76 posts, read 173,467 times
Anyone know if Falls Park mini golf is closed? My wife noticed an 'Available' sign on/near the building and calling the number, it is no longer in service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-02-2013, 02:16 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird View Post
Anyone know if Falls Park mini golf is closed? My wife noticed an 'Available' sign on/near the building and calling the number, it is no longer in service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I heard it had closed, which isn't a shock. It was usually fairly empty of people. Do call them mid afternoon to check as they always opened late.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:22 PM

192 posts, read 429,313 times
Devereaux's to close in the Fall. Email received from Table 301:

Good afternoon all-

It is with mixed emotion, sadness and disappointment that I must inform you that we will have to close Devereaux’s later this year, when our lease runs out and a new tenant takes over the space. This shouldn’t take affect until late Fall, so until then, it’s business as usual – amazing and creative dining.

I wanted to make sure that you, who have supported all our endeavors at Table 301, were among the first to know about this news. You are the people who keep us going and allow us to do what we love, and we appreciate you all.

This restaurant has been an important part of the makeup of Greenville’s culinary community, raising the bar in more ways than may ever truly be known. Devereaux’s, which opened in June 2005, has held true for 8+ years to the passions of the chef and culinary team, the service staff and the owners. The team has poured themselves into striving for perfection, using the highest quality ingredients, supporting local farmers and growers and taking every item from raw to finished product with extreme care and precision. Their hard work is proven in the experiences they provide to their guests.

Devereaux’s has been the go-to place for everything from business entertaining, engagements and celebrations, and dinners out with friends. We’ve also hosted important community events such as Food For Thought, euphoria, and various media visits. And it hasn’t been all about large-scale events, but also countless business dinners with dignitaries, celebrities and economic development projects. Just as important, we’ve hosted regular Tuesday night dinners out, drinks with friends, Sunday suppers and all the other dining experiences we’ve had the pleasure of offering our valued guests.

We’ve done all of this for the past eight years. For the next several months, we’ll keep on doing what we’ve been doing. With talent like what we’ve got in the Devereaux’s team, you know it’s going to be something creative and delicious. I hope you’ll join us soon and experience all that Devereaux’s has to offer. I promise, you won’t forget it.

With change comes opportunity. Change is hard as we will lose a restaurant that we love later this year, but this brings new culinary opportunities to explore. Keep an eye out for what’s to come from Table 301.

As I mentioned, it’s business as usual until later this Fall, so feel free to make reservations, plan events and celebrations and enjoy Devereaux’s. Call the restaurant at 864-241-3030, or you’re always welcome to reply to me and I’ll be happy to make reservations for you.

I look forward to enjoying the next several months at Devereaux’s with you.

Carl

Old 06-07-2013, 02:17 PM

505 posts, read 940,240 times
there's gotta be more to it than "our lease runs out and a new tenant takes over the space." Something just doesn't make sense. Why not relocate if Devereaux's is such a big deal? Surely it could continue its success in a new location.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:42 PM

807 posts, read 1,783,880 times
Please bring them to Easley or Powdersville, even if on a smaller scale. We could use more good restaurants!

Old 06-07-2013, 07:31 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
I read in Upstate Business Journal last week a popular downtown Greenville restaurant would be closing. Deveraux's appears to be that restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area