Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,804,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
I didn't realize all the Quiznos had closed in Greenville. LOL There were like 4 of them all relatively close to each other at one point. I'm surprised that company hasn't just folded completely.
There's one in Greer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 07:57 PM

376 posts, read 728,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
There's one in Greer.
Yeah, they tend to last longer in less saturated markets although I imagine Greer has a lot more restaurants than it used to.

It was my understanding that Quizno's forced the franchises to purchase their meat and other stuff from this one supplier who was essentially price gouging them.

It is kind of interesting when one of these chain places just gets wiped out in a market.

Jack in the Box is another good example in Greenville, a ton of those went up in a short time and mostt if not all are gone now.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:26 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
Yeah, they tend to last longer in less saturated markets although I imagine Greer has a lot more restaurants than it used to.

It was my understanding that Quizno's forced the franchises to purchase their meat and other stuff from this one supplier who was essentially price gouging them.

It is kind of interesting when one of these chain places just gets wiped out in a market.

Jack in the Box is another good example in Greenville, a ton of those went up in a short time and mostt if not all are gone now.
Subway is the same way.. Subway franchises, as I understand it, are basically setup so that your entire restaurant comes from Subway suppliers. Your bread ovens are all the same, the coolers, etc. Corporate puts the packages together much like in ye olden days when you ordered a house from sears and it showed up in a box. The problem is.. They are SO oversaturated. If I was a subway franchisee, i'd be pissed. First off, sending 8 to 10 percent of your gross to corporate, and then them authorizing another franchisee a mile away from you.

The next person who decides to start a Quiznos around here just needs to be slapped. This is the second time they've made a push to come into this area, and the second time they've all gone away.

Schlotzky's.. I'm really surprised at them.. All of them have gone away except the one off Old Spartanburg in Greer.. I miss them.

Jack in the box.. There's a fair number of them left.. But.. To me, their food is just nasty. I tried them for breakfast and lunch and.. Both were just horribly bad. Let's be honest.. If it weren't for the breakfast, Hardee's would have closed up shop long ago.. That was the only thing keeping them going... I will say.. There was a MASSIVE improvement in Hardee's once CKE took them over and went back to char-broiled burgers.

I'm rambling again.. lol.. Not that I have a point, ever.. But, if I did.. It would probably be that there's too damn many sub places nowadays. Subway on every corner.. Blimpies.. Quizno's.. Firehouse..

Old 08-20-2013, 06:44 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,188,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Subway is the same way.. Subway franchises, as I understand it, are basically setup so that your entire restaurant comes from Subway suppliers. Your bread ovens are all the same, the coolers, etc. Corporate puts the packages together much like in ye olden days when you ordered a house from sears and it showed up in a box. The problem is.. They are SO oversaturated. If I was a subway franchisee, i'd be pissed. First off, sending 8 to 10 percent of your gross to corporate, and then them authorizing another franchisee a mile away from you.

The next person who decides to start a Quiznos around here just needs to be slapped. This is the second time they've made a push to come into this area, and the second time they've all gone away.

Schlotzky's.. I'm really surprised at them.. All of them have gone away except the one off Old Spartanburg in Greer.. I miss them.

Jack in the box.. There's a fair number of them left.. But.. To me, their food is just nasty. I tried them for breakfast and lunch and.. Both were just horribly bad. Let's be honest.. If it weren't for the breakfast, Hardee's would have closed up shop long ago.. That was the only thing keeping them going... I will say.. There was a MASSIVE improvement in Hardee's once CKE took them over and went back to char-broiled burgers.

I'm rambling again.. lol.. Not that I have a point, ever.. But, if I did.. It would probably be that there's too damn many sub places nowadays. Subway on every corner.. Blimpies.. Quizno's.. Firehouse..
With all the sub places you mentioned, it's hard for an individual to open up a new place and make a name for himself, and a name that should be synonymous with a good product. A lot of people will go to where they have gone for many years, names they see all the time, advertising and name branding has done it's job. Newcomers to the restaurant market have a lot to deal with when they come on the scene, it's not easy, and only the strong will survive.

Not a sub shop per se, but there's a great little sandwich shop in Hendersonville called The Mountain Deli, love their Rachel with pastrami on marble bread. Anyone here know of a place like that (who's been to TMD and knows first hand?). I admit, I will do Subway once in a while when I want a sub, veggie pattie is the only one I get. I have a sub shop right across the street from where I live but have never gone in it and rarely see anyone in it. I want the individual Mom and Pop type sub place. I try very hard not to do chain restaurants. I don't think, or do I know, what other sub places are around the Greer Wade Hampton area. If I want a sub, it's a last minute decision and there's not much else that I think of that I can pick up and take home quickly, I won't go out of my way for one.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:06 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
With all the sub places you mentioned, it's hard for an individual to open up a new place and make a name for himself, and a name that should be synonymous with a good product. A lot of people will go to where they have gone for many years, names they see all the time, advertising and name branding has done it's job. Newcomers to the restaurant market have a lot to deal with when they come on the scene, it's not easy, and only the strong will survive.

Not a sub shop per se, but there's a great little sandwich shop in Hendersonville called The Mountain Deli, love their Rachel with pastrami on marble bread. Anyone here know of a place like that (who's been to TMD and knows first hand?). I admit, I will do Subway once in a while when I want a sub, veggie pattie is the only one I get. I have a sub shop right across the street from where I live but have never gone in it and rarely see anyone in it. I want the individual Mom and Pop type sub place. I try very hard not to do chain restaurants. I don't think, or do I know, what other sub places are around the Greer Wade Hampton area. If I want a sub, it's a last minute decision and there's not much else that I think of that I can pick up and take home quickly, I won't go out of my way for one.
I've found that it seems to be a love/hate thing with most people, but Substation II is my favorite place in that area. Love the #19. Of course, that might be the place across the street you're referring to.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:04 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,188,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
I've found that it seems to be a love/hate thing with most people, but Substation II is my favorite place in that area. Love the #19. Of course, that might be the place across the street you're referring to.
Honestly, not even sure of the name of the place, passed just about every day, but never bother with really looking at it other than noticing there's hardly any cars ever there and wondering how the heck they stay in business. I'll have to (remember to) look.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:06 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
Schlotzky's is still open near Pelham Road and I-85.

Quiznos is still open at The Parkway and Batesville Road, unless I missed otherwise relevant information.

Jack-In-The-Box is still operates multiple stores in and around the Greenville.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:15 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,766,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
Substation II is my favorite place in that area. Love the #19.
I also love the SubStation II, as well as Firehouse Subs.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:58 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Schlotzky's is still open near Pelham Road and I-85.

Quiznos is still open at The Parkway and Batesville Road, unless I missed otherwise relevant information.

Jack-In-The-Box is still operates multiple stores in and around the Greenville.

The Schlotzky's.. That's the one I mentioned, Old Spartanburg Rd in Greer. Only one left in Greenville/Spartanburg. There used to be one on Woodruff, one on Augusta, one on Wade Hampton in front of the old UA theater.. That Old Spartanburg location actually closed and then reopened from what I recall. There was one in Spartanburg in the Lowes/Best Buy parking lot.. All gone.

Quizno's.. Yeah, again.. One left. There were at least 10 of them at one time, probably more if you count the two efforts they've made to penetrate this area. This is an interesting read.. Quiznos activates strategy to bounce back | The Columbus Dispatch

And probably explains just WHY so many of them fail. They allow a restaurant to open with $5000 down.. I haven't crunched the numbers on that.. It SOUNDS good, but... Let's do the numbers. So, 65k at 15%.. They say that's paid back on average in about 4 years.. Ballpark math, I show that as you wind up paying back nearly $87k for borrowing $65k..

Which means that 80% of your profit the first 4 years would have to average $22k/yr.. Means you have to have ~$27.5k per year profit.. However.. Considering that profit in a restaurant is roughly 6%.. That means that to make the $27,500/year profit, you have to be turning gross receipts of slightly more than $450k per year. That's.. $37,500 a month.. About $1200 a day. At an average ticket of $7.. That's approximately 175 customers per day.

That seems.. Difficult to reach, at least around here. I mean, a good location on Haywood or similar could probably do it, but.. Where some of these Quizno's were located.. I can't see it.. Like the one that was in the 'new' Bi-Lo shopping center in Simpsonville.

Someone with more restaurant experience than I could probably weigh in here and tell me another 50 things that I'm not thinking of. Though, I'd be curious if they opened this new restaurant and had a cooler fail at year 3, right outside the warranty.. It costs $10k to replace.. How does that figure in?

Old 08-20-2013, 05:11 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
Actually, the local Schlotzsky's store address is 103 Old Boiling Springs Road, very close to the Michelin North America corporate headquarters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area