Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 11:27 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,276,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfuprof View Post
I don't want a Dollar General, either. But I fear that is what we'll get--or some other iteration of "sav-a-lot." Again, I hope I'm wrong.
Definitely do not need a Sav-a-Lot on North Main Street. I would be okay to go with Walmart Neighborhood Market as a minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Long ago.. There used to be a Bi-Lo on Augusta Rd towards downtown.. Really small (and old) store.. I'm thinking it was in the building across from Como's that is now a Saluda River Pet Store? I assume that would be considered one of the "Baby Bi-Los" as well?
Bi-Lo was located at Lewis Plaza. It closed in either 1997 or 1999. It has been a Dollar General for several years. Bi-Lo's closing created a food desert for many years with a small gap for Earth Fare's brief existence. Publix has been rumored to open an additional store in or nearby Lewis Plaza. There is no doubt a supermarket on Augusta Road would fulfill a huge void.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 12:20 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,029,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Definitely do not need a Sav-a-Lot on North Main Street. I would be okay to go with Walmart Neighborhood Market as a minimum.

Bi-Lo was located at Lewis Plaza. It closed in either 1997 or 1999. It has been a Dollar General for several years. Bi-Lo's closing created a food desert for many years with a small gap for Earth Fare's brief existence. Publix has been rumored to open an additional store in or nearby Lewis Plaza. There is no doubt a supermarket on Augusta Road would fulfill a huge void.

There is already a Sav-a- lot on the next block of N Main.

I thought the Baby Bilo closed on Augusta when they opened the larger store less than a mile away on Faris at Richmond Plaza (now closed) in mid 90's. I do remember Augusta Rd residents were furious and many vowed only to shop the Harris Teeter on S Pleasantburg or Winn Dixie next to the hospital.

I don't think that Baby Bilo space is no where big enough for a WM Neighborhood Market (usually around 40,000 square feet). Sadly enough look out for Dollar Tree, DG or Family Dollar. The space is just too small if its leased as it stands now.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:48 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I thought the Baby Bilo closed on Augusta when they opened the larger store less than a mile away on Faris at Richmond Plaza (now closed) in mid 90's. I do remember Augusta Rd residents were furious and many vowed only to shop the Harris Teeter on S Pleasantburg or Winn Dixie next to the hospital.
I think it was still open after that 'new' one opened at Faris/Pleasantburg.. But not terribly long after that. If I recall, that Bi-Lo was brand new while I was in college, which would mean somewhere around '92. Because I remember going to the 'discount' college bookstore in the shopping center. I think the original estimate of around 97 would probably be accurate for the closing on Augusta.

Those people only shopping the Harris Teeter or Winn-Dixie must be SOL now.. HT closed in.. What, about 98 or 99? I haven't been down hospital way in years, but I assume that Winn-Dixie lasted until the end a few years ago.

I was just thinking about how much Pleasantburg(South specifically, but...) has changed since I came back to the area in 91 on the way into work today.. There used to be two of the 'red roof' Pizza Huts right near each other.. The one on S Pleasantburg that turned into a custom motorcycle shop (or something like that) and one up near a piano store on N Pleasantburg just past 385 that has been demolished.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Bi-Lo missed an opportunity to improve this location (store #5012) years ago after Eckerd relocated to East Stone Avenue and North Main Street (now Rite Aid store #11640).
Quote:
There is already a Sav-a- lot on the next block of N Main.

I don't think that Baby Bilo space is no where big enough for a WM Neighborhood Market (usually around 40,000 square feet). Sadly enough look out for Dollar Tree, DG or Family Dollar. The space is just too small if its leased as it stands now.
Select Rite Aid locations entered into a pilot program with Save-A-Lot to provide limited grocery items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I think it was still open after that 'new' one opened at Faris/Pleasantburg.. But not terribly long after that. If I recall, that Bi-Lo was brand new while I was in college, which would mean somewhere around '92. Because I remember going to the 'discount' college bookstore in the shopping center. I think the original estimate of around 97 would probably be accurate for the closing on Augusta.

Those people only shopping the Harris Teeter or Winn-Dixie must be SOL now.. HT closed in.. What, about 98 or 99? I haven't been down hospital way in years, but I assume that Winn-Dixie lasted until the end a few years ago.

I was just thinking about how much Pleasantburg(South specifically, but...) has changed since I came back to the area in 91 on the way into work today.. There used to be two of the 'red roof' Pizza Huts right near each other.. The one on S Pleasantburg that turned into a custom motorcycle shop (or something like that) and one up near a piano store on N Pleasantburg just past 385 that has been demolished.
The Bi-Lo (store #272) located at Richmond Towne Center, 494 South Pleasantburg Drive, opened in 1991 and closed in early 2012. It was an underperforming store that closed partly due to Bi-Lo's acquisition of Winn Dixie.

Winn Dixie (store #1284) on Grove Road was one of the last remaining stores in Greenville when the chain reduced its footprint in the summer of 2005. It was a moderately successful store in a good location. It was demolished for a senior center.

Harris Teeter sold its five Greenville and Spartanburg area stores to Bi-Lo. The South Pleasantburg Drive store never opened as a Food$mart, Bi-Lo's failed discount banner. It is now GB Shoe Warehouse.

Let us not forget Ingle's at Potomac Square Shopping Center on Augusta Road at Potamac Avenue, presently Badcock Home Furniture & More. The store closed sometime in the middle to late 1980s.

Food Lion store #2700 (opening as a Bloom) on South Pleasanburg Drive across from Bi-Lo did not last very long. It is proven going upscale with Food Lion's problems (lacking necessity of pharmacy department, understaffed and lack of service, quality, etc.) exploded.

I would like to see the old Rite Aid (now Wisteria Spa) and Dollar General (old Bi-Lo store #11) demolished to make way for a new Publix with parking deck parking.

I remember the Pizza Hut on North Pleasanburg Drive. Relocating to a non-dine in location at Pelham Commons nearly ten years ago killed off its business. The North Pleasantburg Drive and East North Street area lack a dine-in pizza restaurant. Pizza Hut may want to fix the problem it created.

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 11-21-2013 at 04:49 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 06:31 PM

9,503 posts, read 9,830,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Spinx beginning to remodel the BP station at Standing Springs and W. Georgia in Simpsonville. Now hiring.
Reopened this evening as BP by Spinx.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:36 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,190,505 times
Headline reads: The Cazbah is closed, removed from restaurant's website

Http://greertoday.com/greer-sc/the-c...te/2013/12/03/

Last edited by Eldemila; 12-03-2013 at 11:06 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 08:52 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,029,126 times
Big Lots closing Berea store at Westtowne Plaza next to Bi-LO

Old 12-09-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Big Lots closing Berea store at Westtowne Plaza next to Bi-LO
It is odd (lots) Big Lots would be closing its Berea location. If they were relocating, it would make sense to move up to Travelers Rest. (The former Emtex site is looking for +/-20,000 square feet of adjacent retail to accompany the planned 80,000 square feet Ingle's.)

The Berea community needs new retail to move into 640 and 642 Sulphur Springs Road, the site of a former Kmart and two former Winn Dixie stores.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:59 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,599,157 times
I would see a Rack Rooms In the old Kmart here in Berea SC in the Win Dixe store a food lion and next to the old kmart a cross ways Christian book store Berea SC Needs more Retail like a Targert a Pet Smarts a golf store a Lowes store a new Kmart also a new super center ingles also more eat out places like a Cracker Barrel a chills fire house subs star bucks TGI Fridays ben and Jerry's Ice cream

Old 12-11-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL fan View Post
I would see a Rack Rooms In the old Kmart here in Berea SC in the Win Dixe store a food lion and next to the old kmart a cross ways Christian book store Berea SC Needs more Retail like a Targert a Pet Smarts a golf store a Lowes store a new Kmart also a new super center ingles also more eat out places like a Cracker Barrel a chills fire house subs star bucks TGI Fridays ben and Jerry's Ice cream
You can quickly write off Food Lion from opening any new stores in the area. They failed quickly and gave up. Their remaining area stores will likely close or be divested.

Both the former Kmart and Winn Dixies need to be razed and the entire site completely graded for any new development. The closest I can see that site being used for is another supermarket. Ingle's is to be replacing its White Horse Road location with a new store up the road at Berea Drive. I have heard they have owned property there for years. Publix or Walmart Neighborhood Market would be successful here.

Cracker Barrel would be an excellent addition to Travelers Rest. Imagine the new Ingle's, adjacent retail and Cracker Barrel on the old Emtex site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area