Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 08:11 AM

446 posts, read 415,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Sears and Kmart to close all stores: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/06/sear...iquidate-.html
Not sure if anyone read the updated article but they are now not closing. Court decision gave them yet another life.

Just wish they'd put the thing out of its misery already. Would love to see a different anchor at Haywood one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 08:30 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP69 View Post
Not sure if anyone read the updated article but they are now not closing. Court decision gave them yet another life.

Just wish they'd put the thing out of its misery already. Would love to see a different anchor at Haywood one day.

They granted them one more week to see if ESL will offer a better deal.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:40 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP69 View Post
Would love to see a different anchor at Haywood one day.
With the decline of brick and mortar retail, who would be a possible new anchor to go into that space? I'm concerned that their closure would leave a vacancy there that might be difficult to fill with a new anchor tenant. Haywood still seems to be doing well but malls in general are not doing well across the country.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:52 AM

453 posts, read 646,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
With the decline of brick and mortar retail, who would be a possible new anchor to go into that space? I'm concerned that their closure would leave a vacancy there that might be difficult to fill with a new anchor tenant. Haywood still seems to be doing well but malls in general are not doing well across the country.
Simon, which owns Haywood Mall, has said that they're not looking to replace one big retailer with another.

Quote:
"The mall of the future doesn't need five, six ... department stores," Simon said during an earnings conference call. "The ability to reclaim [those spaces] allows us to densify our properties. And I think we have that opportunity in a rather large scale."

While outdated department stores are going dark, Simon also said the smaller, specialty shops inside the malls are thriving, and their sales are actually up.

"Maybe the industry got too carried away with having all these big department store boxes. As we transition to a smaller, more appropriately sized group ... I think the center will get healthier," he explained.

Simon has diversified the types of tenants it usually courts to fill empty stores, replacing an old Belk department store at Phipps Plaza in Atlanta with a Nobu hotel, office space and a 90,000-square-foot Life Time Athletic center. Landlords are also starting to look at co-working spaces and apartments as other fillers.

"Let's face it. If you are a tenant and you get put down a Sears wing of a Simon mall, you are not exactly thrilled," Sandler O'Neill + Partners analyst Alexander Goldfarb told CNBC. "Now if they rip down the Sears and put in restaurants or a movie theater," it's a welcome change.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:19 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Simon, which owns Haywood Mall, has said that they're not looking to replace one big retailer with another.
Simon owns Haywood Mall but doesn't Sears own that anchor spot? Their ownership will complicate any redevelopment of the space. I think Simon has a good approach, though, to redevelop these spaces for other than anchor spaces.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:22 AM

I still think this area is different than a lot of others with a fairly high income base to draw from. I really think a Nordstrom would do well in this area, for example. I'm just not sure Haywood needs that much more retail space for smaller stores if it were to be torn down. Would love to see another theater chain like AMC make a move into the area to break the almost monopoly of Regal, but am doubtful that would happen unfortunately.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:22 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post

Movie theater? I think the era of movie theaters in malls has gone away. Many of the Mall Cinemas have closed for the megaplexes.

No way that works in Greenville. Other areas.. Perhaps. I wonder how many screens you can fit into the area previously occupied by a Sears? The other challenge might be that most of the Sears are split level.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:25 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,236,505 times
Movie theaters are struggling to post profits and attract audiences. Increasing the cost of admission does not remedy issues.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:58 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,013,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Simon owns Haywood Mall but doesn't Sears own that anchor spot? Their ownership will complicate any redevelopment of the space. I think Simon has a good approach, though, to redevelop these spaces for other than anchor spaces.
Exactly right. That's what I was thinking. It could be vacant and tied up in proceedings for a long time. Forever 21 subleases part of the lower level of Sears as well further complicating a complete tear down.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Movie theater? I think the era of movie theaters in malls has gone away. Many of the Mall Cinemas have closed for the megaplexes.

No way that works in Greenville. Other areas.. Perhaps. I wonder how many screens you can fit into the area previously occupied by a Sears? The other challenge might be that most of the Sears are split level.
I don't think it would happen either. I only mentioned it since the analyst in that CNBC article said, "Now if they rip down the Sears and put in restaurants or a movie theater, it's a welcome change."

If one were to come, I'd root for AMC because I want that A-List subscription with Regal continuing to drag its heels on the subscription front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area