Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 02:54 PM

285 posts, read 457,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The Tavern 24 building has a poor track record as well. Stock Car Cafe was there in the late 90's.. I don't recall what was before that.

Searching.. I found a WG Shuckers in 1992-1993

Old Chicago Brewing Co in 1995

Stock Car Cafe in 1997

Fatz in 2001

Oh, my.. WG Shuckers met a bad end..

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/26853678/

I'm also finding articles that Corner Pocket was supposed to go into the location in 1995. Perhaps they just changed the name to differentiate it, or their occupancy of the building fell through?
We were dining in Shuckers in '92 and I heard a customer ask the waitress if raw oysters were safe. Her reply was "ain't killed nobody yet". Literally 3 days later, a customer died and the place was shut down.

Chicago Brew Pub was amazing. It was just too early for Greenville at that time. They took pride in telling customers that they did not sell domestic beer and that did them no favors. It was owned by Peter of Peter Davids.

Speaking of long term closed business, who remembers Indigo Joe's on Market Drive? It's closure is going on 9 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 04:17 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreddy View Post
We were dining in Shuckers in '92 and I heard a customer ask the waitress if raw oysters were safe. Her reply was "ain't killed nobody yet". Literally 3 days later, a customer died and the place was shut down.

Chicago Brew Pub was amazing. It was just too early for Greenville at that time. They took pride in telling customers that they did not sell domestic beer and that did them no favors. It was owned by Peter of Peter Davids.

Speaking of long term closed business, who remembers Indigo Joe's on Market Drive? It's closure is going on 9 years now.

I know the widow filed suit against the restaurant and trucking company..

Based on comments from the coroner/medical examiner.. I think she'd have had a tough case to make. Apparently the restaurant had a warning that eating raw oysters had inherent risks, and the bacteria he was infected with was opportunistic.. The "Gram-negative bacteria vibrio vulnificus", and you can bet I had to check that for spelling 5 times, might make a normal person ill, but they'd recover.. Mr Taylor (whose widow passed in 2008) had high blood pressure and liver problems.

Ah.. Just found it.. Apparently the case was settled for about $100k in 1995.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:17 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Saw this for Interiors Marketplace of the Carolinas in Greer. Looks like they had some nice stuff. Not sure what's still there but may be worth checking out if you are looking for this type of stuff.

To all our valued customers and friends,

We want to inform you that our store will be closing at the end of January. Several of our large vendors have decided to retire and sell off their inventory. We truly appreciate and thank you for your loyal support over the years and we will sincerely miss seeing all of you. Please stop in over the next several weeks and check out all the sales and great deals going on!

Thank you again for doing business with us!

Sincerely,

Your friends at Interiors Marketplace of the Carolinas

Wow. The few times I was in there, it was dead inside and I think I was the only customer. I wondered how long they would survive with all those lights burning and no customers.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:22 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Has the Mauldin KMart closed yet? Looking like the Church St Kmart and Sears at Haywood may not be far behind. Just read they are hanging by a thread today with a liquidator chosen and on standby. Really on the brink this time.

I spoke to the Pricing Manager and she said the 6th was their last day. Incredible deals 85-90% off!

Old 01-08-2019, 06:41 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Sears and Kmart to close all stores: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/06/sear...iquidate-.html

Old 01-08-2019, 07:39 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,012,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Sears and Kmart to close all stores: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/06/sear...iquidate-.html
At least they can die with a little dignity and not turn it back over to the same that ran it into the ground to begin with.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:50 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
This was obvious. Sears will be missed. Kmart will not be missed.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:57 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,012,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If you have been in a Sears lately there is nothing to be missed but a floor full of mattresses, appliances and tools you can by elsewhere.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:35 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
The only reason I went to Sears was for men's apparel (i.e Carhartt and Levi's).

I applied for an Automotive Service Technician with Sears Auto Center years ago. The store manager thought speaking Spanish was more important than working on automobiles.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:31 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
They really did themselves in! Kmart Mauldin's last day was Sunday. I'm sad to see it go. Now I have no choice but to buy stuff at Walmart when Dollar General won't do. I hear Big Lots is taking over the old Kmart in Huntington, WV (my hometown). I hope Big Lots comes back to Mauldin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area