Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 11:33 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Wow.. That hasn't been there that long, and they spent a pretty good amount of money (or at least someone did) to rehab that building that it's in.. Which was the old Walmart.
Yabbut Big Lots has been in Laurens for years, before they moved into the old WalMart. The ywere in the old Food Lion building before that, and before that they were in another building somewhere in Laurens I cant recall, and before that were in the old TG&Y building in Clinton, but still in the area.

I guess everything in that building will be moving out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 11:54 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Not that I recall. Roses is the first to move into the old Food Lion. And the old TG&Y was empty from the time TG&Y left until they bulldozed the whole structure a few years after Winn-Dixie left. I'm pretty sure that Big Lots is on its first location in Laurens in the old WalMart building. I could be mistaken, as I don't shop at Big Lots normally.. But.. I certainly don't remember any of those you're describing.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Not that I recall. Roses is the first to move into the old Food Lion. And the old TG&Y was empty from the time TG&Y left until they bulldozed the whole structure a few years after Winn-Dixie left. I'm pretty sure that Big Lots is on its first location in Laurens in the old WalMart building. I could be mistaken, as I don't shop at Big Lots normally.. But.. I certainly don't remember any of those you're describing.
Nope, BigLots was in that building. The old Roses closed in like 1990. They reopened when 96 or 97 or later in the new location, then closed and thats when Biglots moved in. When the Walmart building became ready, they moved there and Food Lion, which had closed or moved, moved in. Before that, I know for a fact, they were in the old TG&Y building. My wife worked there during the summer when she was in college. The original Roses and Foodlion were where the county office are now.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:41 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Walmart closing Gray Court and Pacolet Express stores as part of the store closures they announced this morning. They are concentrating only on their Neighborhood Market stores and Supercenters only going forward.They are also closing some of their underperforming Neighborhood Markets and a handful of SuperCenters but none here.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:33 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Walmart closing Gray Court and Pacolet Express stores as part of the store closures they announced this morning. They are concentrating only on their Neighborhood Market stores and Supercenters only going forward.They are also closing some of their underperforming Neighborhood Markets and a handful of SuperCenters but none here.
Wow. Those stores are less than two years old.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:23 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Wow. Those stores are less than two years old.
Yeah really. Apparently it was all just a pilot for them. All the smaller dollar sized stores are closing. Makes you wonder how the larger neighborhood markets are really doing as they continue to fine tune them or optimize them was the term they used. Maybe they do Supercenters the best after all.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:45 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Yeah really. Apparently it was all just a pilot for them. All the smaller dollar sized stores are closing. Makes you wonder how the larger neighborhood markets are really doing as they continue to fine tune them or optimize them was the term they used. Maybe they do Supercenters the best after all.
I like the new Neighborhood Market in Simpsonville. It's a little closer than Woodruff Rd. and carries a wider variety of some of the items I buy regularly. I hope they keep that one open.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:48 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
None of Walmart's store closings are in Greenville County.

Walmart Express #3798, 7093 South Pine Street, Pacolet, South Carolina 29372-2246:
Pacolet needs a supermarket, not a drugstore-dollar store-gas station combination. Walmart should have went with a Neighborhood Market supermarket here with bakery, delicatessen, meat, and produce departments.

Walmart Express #1250, 9032 Highway 14, Gray Court, South Carolina 29645-4151:
Customers in Gray Court usually drive miles to Fountain Inn, Laurens, Simpsonville, and Woodruff to the nearest supermarket and come here for necessities.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:38 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Walmart Express #1250, 9032 Highway 14, Gray Court, South Carolina 29645-4151:
Customers in Gray Court usually drive miles to Fountain Inn, Laurens, Simpsonville, and Woodruff to the nearest supermarket and come here for necessities.
it's damn handy. Working in Greenville, it's on my way home.. While it's a smaller sized store, they carry everything I generally need and I don't have to stop in Simpsonville or go all the way into Laurens. It was really something that Gray Court needed, and I hope that someone picks up the building.

Whoever owns the land next to it recently cleared it off and was actively trying to sell it.. Think this will put a damper on that.

It is a quite small store, but anyone who hasn't been is likely thinking, as I was prior to it opening, that it would have a small selection of necessities and that's it, something along the lines of a QT.. Not so. They had a full fruit and vegetable section, meat section.. They didn't have the variety of items a superstore does, but.. I will certainly miss that location.

Quote:
Nope, BigLots was in that building. The old Roses closed in like 1990. They reopened when 96 or 97 or later in the new location, then closed and thats when Biglots moved in. When the Walmart building became ready, they moved there and Food Lion, which had closed or moved, moved in. Before that, I know for a fact, they were in the old TG&Y building. My wife worked there during the summer when she was in college. The original Roses and Foodlion were where the county office are now.
Ok.. I think we're talking two different time periods.. And.. We're talking two different locations (This one is my fault)..

The 'old' Food Lion i'm thinking of is the one that Roses is in NOW.. How did that work.. I think Winn-Dixie was originally there, and then built across the street (and then closed).. Once they moved out, Food Lion moved in? Them being in the county offices.. Before my time. That had to have been the 70's? And the old TG&Y that i'm thinking of is the Clinton one.. In.. What was that? Copeland Plaza? That one closed and was vacant for the rest of the buildings' life. I can't even remember where a TG&Y was in Laurens. I still don't recall a Big Lots ever being in Laurens prior to them going into the old Walmart.. But.. As I said, not a place I go, so.. Could have flown under my radar.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Ok.. I think we're talking two different time periods.. And.. We're talking two different locations (This one is my fault)..

The 'old' Food Lion i'm thinking of is the one that Roses is in NOW.. How did that work.. I think Winn-Dixie was originally there, and then built across the street (and then closed).. Once they moved out, Food Lion moved in? Them being in the county offices.. Before my time. That had to have been the 70's? And the old TG&Y that i'm thinking of is the Clinton one.. In.. What was that? Copeland Plaza? That one closed and was vacant for the rest of the buildings' life. I can't even remember where a TG&Y was in Laurens. I still don't recall a Big Lots ever being in Laurens prior to them going into the old Walmart.. But.. As I said, not a place I go, so.. Could have flown under my radar.
Yes, we gat talking about the same places, but I may be mixing up the stores and when they closed. The oldest Roses and Food Lion was in what is now the county offices. (Not sure what all is in there, but I know the treasurers office is in there, and my son had to go there to pay a speeding ticket.) Seems like there was a Revco there too, but I don't remember. Roses closed in like 89 or 90. Foodlion followed shortly, so there was no FoodLion or Roses in Laurens. About that same time, TG&Y, yes in Copeland plaza, closed.
Could have been a tear later, but Big Lots moved into t hat building. IM trying to think, but I'm pretty sure it was in 91 or 92 when my then girlfriend now wife worked there. I'm thinking it was 91, but it wasnt there long at all. Ill have to look to verify now which building it was in that "strip mall" which exactly building it was BigLots moved to, but they were in that building until the moved to the old WalMart. Could be they moved, then closed or something like that, but I do know they were there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area