Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 04:23 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,807,662 times

Advertisements

And the downfall of Ryan's continues: Ryan’s owner closing 6 South Carolina restaurants under bankruptcy plan - Post and Courier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 05:25 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,027,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Wow Greer is closing. That used to be there corporate flagship didn't it?

Old 03-07-2016, 07:37 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,079,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
You beat me to it. Too bad.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:52 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Wow Greer is closing. That used to be there corporate flagship didn't it?
It's still basically the parking lot of the corporate offices.

Ryan's being bought by Buffets Inc was the beginning of the end. You could say when they stopped being a steakhouse, but.. They made a good go of that, and under old ownership, I think could still be strong.

Buffets Inc was/is worthless.

This new company that it is now.. They are actually doing some smart things.. But they probably should focus more on killing Old Country Buffet and the like.. The Ryans name still had some value to it.. They've basically killed it with the latest 2 rounds of closings.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Ryan's being bought by Buffets Inc was the beginning of the end. You could say when they stopped being a steakhouse, but.. They made a good go of that, and under old ownership, I think could still be strong.

This new company that it is now.. They are actually doing some smart things.. But they probably should focus more on killing Old Country Buffet and the like.. The Ryans name still had some value to it.. They've basically killed it with the latest 2 rounds of closings.
I agree they might as well have changed the name to Old Country Buffet because Ryan's resembles nothing of the Steakhouse they used to be. With the exception of a few Western Sizzlin's scattered around that sort of order at the counter mid tier steakhouse seems to be a bygone era.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:46 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,270,970 times
Quote:

This new company that it is now...But they probably should focus more on killing Old Country Buffet and the like.. The Ryans name still had some value to it.. They've basically killed it with the latest 2 rounds of closings.
I am afraid Ryan's will not be around much longer. Under Buffets, Incorporated, now Ovation Brands, many successful and popular Ryan's locations have closed through poor decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18
They are actually doing some smart things.
Would these be smart things:
  • Steak ordered at the table, then delivered 15 minutes in small entirely burnt portions
  • Decreased hours of operation
  • Decreased service
  • Increased prices
Ryan's decline may open the door for Golden Corral to further expand.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:56 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I am afraid Ryan's will not be around much longer. Under Buffets, Incorporated, now Ovation Brands, many successful and popular Ryan's locations have closed through poor decisions.

Would these be smart things:
  • Steak ordered at the table, then delivered 15 minutes in small entirely burnt portions
  • Decreased hours of operation
  • Decreased service
  • Increased prices
Ryan's decline may open the door for Golden Corral to further expand.
They're not a steakhouse anymore. That's the thing.. I would never order a steak from there because.. They're not a steakhouse.

Look at them as a buffet restaurant.. You don't order a hot dog from a pizza place and expect great things.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:04 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,270,970 times
Quote:
They're not a steakhouse anymore. That's the thing.. I would never order a steak from there because.. They're not a steakhouse.

Look at them as a buffet restaurant.. You don't order a hot dog from a pizza place and expect great things.
I view, or now have viewed, Ryan's as a steakhouse accompanied with a buffet. Its focus has shifted away from steaks and onto the buffet. It has become more like Old Country Buffet and less a strong competitor against Golden Corral.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:57 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,367,806 times
Back in the day, you could choose between Ryan's, Quincy's, Western Steer, and Western Sizzlin and order a freshly prepared steak dinner and expect a good meal. As well as Bonanza, Ponderosa, and Golden Corral. But most of these mid tier steakhouses converted to more of a buffet format, and customers began to choose Outback, Longhorn, and Texas Roadhouse as a preference for a good steak dinner. The decline of Ryan's leaves Golden Corral and a few Western Sizzlin locations remaining in the steak and buffet category.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Back in the day, you could choose between Ryan's, Quincy's, Western Steer, and Western Sizzlin and order a freshly prepared steak dinner and expect a good meal. As well as Bonanza, Ponderosa, and Golden Corral. But most of these mid tier steakhouses converted to more of a buffet format, and customers began to choose Outback, Longhorn, and Texas Roadhouse as a preference for a good steak dinner. The decline of Ryan's leaves Golden Corral and a few Western Sizzlin locations remaining in the steak and buffet category.
I liked the pre buffet era when they just concentrated on an entree and salad bar and the steak and potato came out on one of those metal and wood plates. Wish that concept would come back. Now it's all about quantity and not quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area