Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 09:59 AM

422 posts, read 486,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I already answered your question. You can't "ban" something that never existed. Would you ban dogs from driving cars forever?

Way to avoid answering. Gay marriage exists. You can get married in a few states and numerous countries. So let's rephrase the question: If you had the power to effectively prevent same sex marriage from ever occurring and eliminating same sex marriage in states that allow it, would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:59 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
Quote:
Well except fro the fact that the two views are nothing alike, sure. I do not believe that anyone should be discriminated against. I also do not believe in redefining marriage. The two views are not mutually exclusive. You are Anti-Traditional Marriage.
Has someone proposed banning "Traditional" marriage?

No.

They haven't.

Will you ever answer to any of the points that people bring up? You only seem to be able to deflect and distract, not answer.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Well except fro the fact that the two views are nothing alike, sure. I do not believe that anyone should be discriminated against. I also do not believe in redefining marriage. The two views are not mutually exclusive. You are Anti-Traditional Marriage.

You keep saying redefining marriage when I have repeatedly shown that marriage has never had one default definition.I've shown how marriage has evolved throughout the history of mankind. It wasn't even half a century ago that marriage in America was defined as something that was meant to between members of the same race. Quite frankly your argumentum ad antiquitatem (appeal to tradition) fallacies are tiresome. The presence of precedents and tradition does not, by itself, justify maintaining or reviving a policy. Were precedent sufficient justification on its own, then practices such as slavery and gender-selection infanticide could be justified by the same argument.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:09 AM

672 posts, read 1,418,046 times
Quote:
So, anyone should be allowed to marry anyone, as long as they are adults, is that your position?
Sums it up for me, too!

Old 08-02-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
So, anyone should be allowed to marry anyone, as long as they are adults, is that your position?
Yes. The same rules should apply to marriage as apply to other contracts under the law.

It's just a matter of time before the Courts officially come to the same conclusion.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
So.... what about the fact that blacks are the largest group of anti-gay marriage people in America percentage wise? I think it's wrong to compare racism with being for traditional marriage; offensive, actually.

Good, I'm glad that you're open enough to have friends that have different opinions. I'm pleasantly surprised by this going off of your many strident posts here.
Your first line there is a moot point. Irrelevant. Interesting, but logically irrelevant.

You are white man married to a non-white woman, yes?

That was illegal in the state of SC until 1967. The reason?

Tradition.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Your first line there is a moot point. Irrelevant. Interesting, but logically irrelevant.

You are white man married to a non-white woman, yes?

That was illegal in the state of SC until 1967. The reason?

Tradition.

Slavery was a "tradition" in America as well. Lasted a few hundred years. Maybe we should bring that back for tradition sake.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:31 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,099,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post
The point, Sherlocke, is that wherever there are humans someone has face prejudices and violence because of who they are.
Again, with the insults. You've posted some type of condescending, rude comment in virtually every single one of your posts, despite me calling you on it. It's like you have no self control whatsoever. How old are you, might I ask?

P.S. It's Sherlock, no "e".

Old 08-02-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post
They didn't say business licenses would be denied. They said CFA would not fit in culturally with their cities. Why hasn't anyone linked to a business license be revoked or a CFA being booted out a city. Because those things haven't happened.

Furthermore, cities reject business permits for all sorts of things. Businesses get rejected for their environmental impact, citizen opposition, local moral beliefs, perception of the business or to protect local businesses, etc. Are you fine with a strip club opening next door to a school? How would you like NAMBLA to move their offices in your neighborhood? It's fascist if you say no.
First you compared a Christian businessman who gives millions of dollars a year to childrens charities to a murderous mob thug and now you compare Conservative Christians to pedophiles. A bit socially awkward, are we?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrocker View Post
Sums it up for me, too!
So you're okay with a 55 year old man, marrying his 20 year old daughter, as long as they consent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area