Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2018, 08:21 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I'm not surprised at all - this is typical of SC - delay/divert/ignore/"kick the can down the road" - another example: I-85 east of Spartanburg (to the NC line) needed 6 lanes in the year 2000 - FINALLY, this massive project has started - but now it's much more costly
I really hope they are making the bridges and overpasses on the I-85 widening large enough to handle 8 lanes because parts of that stretch will need another expansion in the not too distant future. There isn't much of anywhere on I-85 that doesn't need 6 lanes due to the heavy load of truck traffic.

Georgia has also been slow to widen I-85. One thing they did do, though, is as they have renovated bridges and interchanges on I-85 over the last 10 years, is they have sized them to accommodate the eventual expansion when it comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 08:38 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I really hope they are making the bridges and overpasses on the I-85 widening large enough to handle 8 lanes because parts of that stretch will need another expansion in the not too distant future. There isn't much of anywhere on I-85 that doesn't need 6 lanes due to the heavy load of truck traffic.

Georgia has also been slow to widen I-85. One thing they did do, though, is as they have renovated bridges and interchanges on I-85 over the last 10 years, is they have sized them to accommodate the eventual expansion when it comes.
They have been designed with room for a future i85 expansion.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:04 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Saw a sign today that the Woodruff Rd (exit 51A) on 85 will be closing first week of September.(Can't remember it was the 7th or 9th) Assuming this is permanent.
Isn't that exit supposed to go away with this project?

Old 08-26-2018, 07:19 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Saw a sign today that the Woodruff Rd (exit 51A) on 85 will be closing first week of September.(Can't remember it was the 7th or 9th) Assuming this is permanent.
It’s only going away permanently from I-385 south next to AT&T. You’ll still be able to access it from I-85 south once the new bridge next to the carpet store is finished.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:00 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Quote:
September 7th.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:52 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Yeah, it looks like Georgia is widening I-85 from I-985 to US 129, with the 1st section, I-985 to GA 53, done in 2020 and the 2nd section, GA 53 to US 129, done in 2028.

It's going to be a long time before they make it to Lake Hartwell!

After South Carolina is done widening the northern end of I-85, I don't see them wanting to widen the southern most 19 miles of I-85 until Georgia is much further along on their progression north.

http://www.dot.ga.gov/BuildSmart/Pro...20Projects.pdf

Old 08-26-2018, 07:30 PM

1,124 posts, read 926,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I'm not surprised at all - this is typical of SC - delay/divert/ignore/"kick the can down the road" - another example: I-85 east of Spartanburg (to the NC line) needed 6 lanes in the year 2000 - FINALLY, this massive project has started - but now it's much more costly
But SPUIs don’t always work. I don’t know if you’re familiar or not with Hwy 378 at I-26. That is hell during rush hour. Traffic will back up 8 miles from Lexington and still back onto the interstate. So I think where they don’t work diverging diamonds would be a good fix. I mean, even looking at the Carolina Crossroads project they’re planned to be put in at about 4 or 5 interchanges. So I think it’s pretty stupid it wasn’t planned there. And honestly, all of 85 and all of 26 need to be at least 3 lanes each direction.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:13 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
But SPUIs don’t always work. I don’t know if you’re familiar or not with Hwy 378 at I-26. That is hell during rush hour. Traffic will back up 8 miles from Lexington and still back onto the interstate. So I think where they don’t work diverging diamonds would be a good fix. I mean, even looking at the Carolina Crossroads project they’re planned to be put in at about 4 or 5 interchanges. So I think it’s pretty stupid it wasn’t planned there. And honestly, all of 85 and all of 26 need to be at least 3 lanes each direction.
SPUIs aren't a panacea by any means. That 378 intersection really should have been designed as a full access interchange that did not require traffic signals to control traffic flows on 378. There is just too much traffic there during rush hour for any signalized intersection to efficiently handle it all. A DDI has less red time so it might have been better but I think even that would have been overwhelmed.

I-26 needs 3 lanes in each direction until at least past Chapin, and ideally up to the I-385 split.

I-85 has enough truck traffic to justify 3 lanes in each direction from Atlanta to its terminus south of Richmond.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:59 PM

826 posts, read 1,126,286 times
Quote:
Facebook post is saying September 10th now. Closure will last 60 days.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:53 PM

723 posts, read 1,149,887 times
The confusion relating to dates arose from miscommunication between contractor and project. The following update was posted on Facebook 4:58 PM:

**Updated Closure of Woodruff Exit to Sept 7th**
+ Our contractor has notified us that they intend to close the exit to Woodruff Road from 85 SB to Sept 7th rather than the previously announced Sept 10th date.
+ This is exit 51-A. Motorists traveling SB on 85 will still be able to exit to 385 both NB & SB as well as continue through and back on to 85 SB. Only the ramp to Woodruff Road will be closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area